Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-08, 07:18 PM  
pfhanna

Calling all you Pilates fans.

I started doing Pilates with Ellen's Fat Burning Fusion (love it) and have been looking for more dvds like this one with no luck. I have tried the 10 min. solution Pilates and now want to try someone truly advanced. Who are some of the "tougher" Pilates instructors? What about Jennifer Kries?? What about a circle ring? Thank you so much for any and all suggestions, Pam.
Old 12-09-08, 07:34 PM  
naturallove

Just to give you some background--I'm a fitness instructor who has done a bit of training in pilates (a certification that I'd never teach with) and I take reformer classes quite regularly. I have taken mat classes in the past also do pilates at home. That said, I still don't consider myself advanced. I think it's really, really important to establish a solid foundation before you move on to the advanced instructors. I like Ellen Barrett, but her stuff is more fusion, rather than what I'd consider foundational pilates.

That said, I'd start with Ana Caban's video library. Her stuff ranges from the basic to advanced and can easily be rented on Netflix. Since you seem to like fusion, I'd highly recommend Jules Benson's Total Core Pilates once you are sure you've mastered the basics. I love her stuff and it's interesting because she gives the mat sequence her own twists. It's also popular among VFers who don't like pilates. The 10 Minute Solution Pilates on the Ball is an excellent intermediate/advanced pilates fusion workout on the ball. I like it a lot and it is challenging without being killer. You might also like Ellen Barrett's Yogini--tough core work, mostly from planks. I've also heard good things about, but have never tried Hillary Burnett. Her Advanced Mat Sequence is thought to be some of the most challenging out on video by VFers in the know.

Hope this helps!
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-08, 08:03 PM  
ladolcevita0526

Thumbs up

Another vote for Total Core Pilates from Jules Benson!
Old 12-09-08, 08:11 PM  
DebnPhx
VF Supporter

Another vote for Jules Benson Total Core Pilates. I also like MTV Pilates. The best one with the ring that I've found is an older Mari Winsor one with a black cover. It's pretty good.
DebnPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-08, 08:13 PM  
Raineth
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladolcevita0526
Another vote for Total Core Pilates from Jules Benson!
I just wanted to mention that you can watch this free at http://www.myfbn.com/ . Go to Christi Taylor Fitness on the right and scroll down to Total Core Pilates With Jules Benson. Great way to try before you buy!
Raineth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-08, 06:06 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

If you want true Pilates

It depends on your current level. You might try renting Ana Caban's Intermediate Pilates from Netflix to see what your level is. However this dvd does have odd camera work in it.

Moira Stott has two that might interest you. They are Core Challenge and Strong & Streamlined. CC is a bit easier. They are also available from Netflix.
I like Strong & Streamlined because it's advanced, but not superadvanced.
Stott's style can be a bit dry for some people.

My favorite is Hilary Burnett's Pilates dvds. They come in three levels. The advanced one is very advanced so I'd start with the intermediate one. They are also available from Netflix.

There are many many fusion workouts available, but I agree with the above poster that it is good to build a foundation first.
Old 12-10-08, 07:20 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I'm kinda/sorta the opposite. I previewed some fusion-style workouts at Collage, have Ellen Barrett and decided my new 'kick' (no pun intended) is fusion-style workouts. I'm really not interested in true Pilates - well, maybe later.

I haven't done my Ellens often, or even lately, but I just reviewed them all last weekend and did decide I want to do a few of them again - including Fat Burning Fusion. I also just bought the two 'Attitude' workouts by Bernadette Giorgio (that might not be exactly correct) and did part of one this morning. I loved it and am really looking forward to doing more of this style workout. I also bought a Shape Pilates and 10-Minute Solution Pilates - those aren't the exactly titles I don't think; they are more fusion.

I'll be checking this thread for advice just 'in case' I decide to get more into real Pilates.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-08, 08:46 AM  
pfhanna

Thank you, so much, for all your suggestions. I never really thought about working my way up to more advanced Pialtes. It sounds like a good idea to work up gradually. I will try Jules since I have read about this one and it seems very popular. What about the Pilates circle ring? I may also try Bernadette's dvd since she has one out with the ring?? No one has mentioned Jennifer Kries? Is there a "Cathe" of Pilates instructors??? You know what I mean, someone that is the toughest, just in case I ever do work myself up to truly advanced Pilates??? Thank you so very much everyone. I truly appreciate the suggestions, Pam.
Old 12-10-08, 08:59 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

There is an outfit called Classical Pilates that put out a dvd that goes from beginner to super advanced. The advanced portions require extreme flexibility strength, and balance. I didn't mention it because the production values are very plain and not a lot of instruction is given. However, it's worth taking a look at it to see how challenging advanced Pilates really is. Classical Pilates has also made a dvd using the circle. You can get them from Netflix.

www.classicalpilates.net
Old 12-10-08, 09:55 AM  
a_real_twit
VF Supporter

I fourth (or fifth) Jules' Total Core Pilates.

I also highly recommend Denise Austin's Hit the Spot Pilates. She's really subdued in this one, nice scenery and sets, interesting twist on some traditional pialtes moves. Collagevideo rates it as intermediate and I would agree with that. It's also got a 4 1/2 star rating and I agree with that as well.

Tags
pilates