Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-08, 08:50 PM  
ella

Pilates that won't aggravate my back??

I've had lower back issues for a few years. If I don't exercise it only gets worse but when I pull my back out I can barely walk. I've noticed that when I am consistent with pilates I have less issues with my back. However when I haven't done pilates in awhile and go back to it I always seem to pull my back out. Is there a pilates DVD out there that will strengthen my back and core without aggravating it?? I have winsor pilates abs and that always causes a back problem. Any suggestions??
ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-08, 09:00 PM  
sbh

Ella, I hear you on the bad back!! Mine is a mess and I suffer from nerve pain constantly. Pilates use to really aggravate my back too, so I gave up on it for a while. I switched to very gently yoga and soon my core was strong enough to endure pilates. Yoga has really helped my back in terms of doing any type of exercise. Getting your core strong is the key. It's tough, but be patient. I hope this helps.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-08, 09:07 PM  
ella

yoga suggestion?

Hi Sherri,
Is there a specific yoga DVD that helped you with your back? I wouldn't even know where to start. There are so many yoga DVD's out there.

Thanks,
El
ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-08, 09:24 PM  
sbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella
Hi Sherri,
Is there a specific yoga DVD that helped you with your back? I wouldn't even know where to start. There are so many yoga DVD's out there.

Thanks,
El
Some of my favorites are:

~Shiva Rea Flow Yoga for Beginners
~Yogadownload.com - Gentle Hatha Yoga (these are audio only with a pdf file for visual reference and also comes in 20, 30, & 60 minutes)
~BodyWisdom Yoga for Beginners (www.bodywisdommedia.com)
~BodyWisdom AM/PM Yoga
~BodyWisdom Yoga for Stress Relief
~Rodney Yee AM Yoga for Your Week
~Rodney Yee Core Cross Train
~Yoga to the Rescue Desiree Raumbah

Some of these are my go to yoga workouts when I am in pain. Yoga breathing really helps so much.

Edited to add: I have also started doing ballet barre work. It is zero impact and has really helped to strengthen my core.
Old 11-02-08, 10:30 PM  
KathAL79

Gary Kraftsow's Viniyoga Therapy DVDs (one is for upper back, neck, and shoulders, the other for low back, hips and sacrum) are specially designed to relieve back pain. He's the guy who worked with the NIH on their study of whether or not yoga is effective in treating back pain (it is).

As for Pilates, I would highly recommend that if at all possible you take some of the $ you want to plunk on DVDs and find a live teacher who's well certified and who preferably specializes in therapeutic practices. You may need adjustments in form and/or modifications that only someone with the appropriate expertise who can see you perform the exercises in person can provide. ETA: If you can only afford one or two classes, that's great. That's better than nothing!

I don't have any personal experience with this, but have you looked at Classical Pilates Technique with Consideration of the Back and Neck?

Winsor Pilates Abs left me feeling off, too, and I had several years of experience and a healthy body when I had it. There's something about Mari's (over?)emphasis on abs and sequencing that seems to leave out some of the stretches or shove them all to the end that just doesn't do it for me. I'd highly recommend looking at someone with more attention to form and detail, perhaps Brooke Siler, Alycea Ungaro, Rael Isacowitz, Moira Merrithew (of Stott Pilates), Allan Menezes, Hilary Burnett, etc.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-08, 10:34 PM  
sbh

Thanks Kath, I'll be checking out some of your recommendations too.
Old 11-02-08, 10:37 PM  
KathAL79

Sherri, I'll just throw in that I don't personally have back pain, just occasional stiffness from too much sitting or overzealous exercising. I hope some of the other VFers who have more experience with back pain and Pilates / yoga will jump in here soon, because they have some great tips.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-08, 07:08 AM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

I highly recommend the Classical Pilates Neck and Back DVD. It has some good routines with modifications for those who have back and neck issues. Netflix has it so you can try it out if you are a member.

You also might also try Pilates Therapeutics. There's 2 DVDs; one for the Pelvic Core and one for the Upper Core. Amazon has it for the same price but it qualifies for free shipping. A few months ago, there was some VF discussion on the Pilates Therapeutics DVDs, so you can do a search for the old threads.

Stott Pilates has an extensive line of DVDs. Scroll down this page and you'll see her Back Care Series.
Stott Pilates Back Care Series
Moira Stott's instructions are impeccable. They also have some short video clips of these DVDs. I believe some of these DVDs are also carried by Netflix.

I really like the information on Pilates Connections, a forum of Pilates professionals. You can find discussions on how the instructors deal with clients with various health issues and injuries. Pilates Connections Trainers Discussion.

I agree with Kath on finding a well qualified Pilates instructor who can help you out with your back issues. If you can swing it, some reformer lessons will also help. Since I started taking reformer classes, my back/core has strengthened tremendously and the back pain has gone away. The reformer has also enabled me to do the mat exercises with better form.
kelsey211 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back pain, pilates