Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-08, 01:07 PM  
naturallove

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79
Any chance you could work with a live teacher, even for just one session? It would be great if you could find someone with therapeutic training. You may need some tweaks in your form or some suggestions for modifications given your conditions. I found out after resuming live classes that I was letting my hip flexors take over in some poses, which was leaving me feeling stiff after workouts.

Some Pilates workouts aren't as considerate of the back. And I find I almost always need to stretch out the hip flexors and probably a few other areas after Pilates sessions, even with my live classes.

Have you seen Classical Pilates with consideration of the neck and back? I haven't tried it personally, but it might be of some benefit to you.
ITA with Kath. Pilates reformer classes (or privates) in particular are fabulous for people with various issues, because it's easy for the instructor to give you more individual attention. The reformer in particular is tough, but it supports your movement in ways that make it easier to concentration on one aspect of an exercise at a time. I've definitely come to value private instruction for certain disciplines (pilates, swimming ,etc) for helping refine technique that will translate back to video workouts. So, if you can take a private lesson or two from an experienced instructor, I think it will greatly help with any issues you might have. I do want to say though, that live pilates mat classes are harder on my hip flexors, so I tend to stick with the reformer. (I'll do so until my core strength improves.)
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-08, 01:29 PM  
RubyBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAF

Do you think yoga can cause the same problems as pilates?? I've read conflicting things.

I use weighted gloves and do weighted floorwork. But, I bought a weighted vest once, and quickly returned. I thought I was going to die after I used that.

Do you think I should stay with Stotts 1 & 2 levels, or if it's not working for me just do aerobics, strength, and traditional stretching.

Do you think Stotts back tapes are worth it , since they are just pilates too??

Sorry, so so many ????
Thanks for your opinions.

Hi again SAF, before answering your questions I would say that I definitely agree with the comments about getting live instruction if you can , especially for a pilates reformer class. A reformer really does take out a lot of the pressure on the back.

However, if that's not an option, here's my views, for what they are worth:

i. I found yoga to be excellent- Rodney Yee's back tape in particular. However, astanga yoga can be an irritant as it is done rather quickly. I would begin with specific yoga for back pain DVDs.
ii. Do try Classical Stretch's back pain DVD. Wonderful.
iii. The Stott tapes are very good- Moira's instruction is excellent, but perhaps try the back ones and the ones on the ball for now. Her Level 4 DVds are pretty hard!!!
iv. There is a lot of evidence that low impact cardio is excellent for general back pain. I like dwalking and anything by Voight (floor cardio, not step.)
v. I found strength training helpful- especially for the abs and back (Fitness Fix DVDs). Go easy with squats, though- I found heavy squats put a huge strain on my back. Floor work was generally fine, though i.e. the pilates leg side series- no problems there.

So, in summary, for me what worked was a combination of yoga for back pain, low impact aerobics, keeping active, specific stretches and strengthening for the back, abs work, and functional fitness such as Fitness Fix DVDs.

However, if you do really like pilates do perserve and perhaps get some one-on one instruction, try a reformer, and modify (The Hundred, Teaser, Double Leg stretch etc. are easy to modify. )

One last thing- everyone's back is different and so unfortunately it is a case of experimenting with what works for you.

One a positive note- my back is now absolutely fine. The only pain I get is from lugging round my preggo bump (nearly due.) When my back was fixed I was back to Cathe and other advanced tapes.

Good luck and take care of yourself!

ETA: sorry, I see that the ball aggravates your back. You might want to try the Fitness Fix exercises, though- static planks with shins on the ball are very good (don't do pikes yet!!) and also the roll out- on your knees in front of the ball; clasp hands together or have them in prayer position, and gently roll out, keeping knees static and abs super-tight. Don't go very far out to begin with.
RubyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-08, 01:39 PM  
SAF

Thanks so much RubyBlue. Actually, the balance ball has worked wonder for me, I was just saying the PILATES BALL workouts bother me, the rest are great.

I do have all of Rodney Yee's and love him. The back one is great. His voice is heavenly.

I think I will concentrate on back only stretches, strengthening etc,...

Thanks again--I really appreciate it.
SAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-08, 01:47 PM  
RubyBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAF
Thanks so much RubyBlue. Actually, the balance ball has worked wonder for me, I was just saying the PILATES BALL workouts bother me, the rest are great.

I do have all of Rodney Yee's and love him. The back one is great. His voice is heavenly.

I think I will concentrate on back only stretches, strengthening etc,...

Thanks again--I really appreciate it.
My pleasure. I do hope you find something that works for you. There is hope, though- I thought I would never be fixed and I feel fine now. I was helped a lot by VF-ers and I'm pleased to pass on what I learned.

Update us with your progress!!
Old 10-09-08, 02:50 PM  
CarlaVeg

What I'm doing right now and it's helping A LOT is viniyoga therapy for lower back! I have to revisit Fitness Fix... I have the beginners practice....
I'm also getting on the mail the New Debbie Siebers Total Body Solution. I'll let you know how I like it. Low impact doesn't bother me as much... I do Leslie a few times a week! I will definitely quit doing pilates.... it makes me worse!

I love yoga and I started doing it again about 1 month ago (I used to do it almost daily before my injury) and what I found was that forward bends can hurt a bit. So be very careful when doing forward bends!

I'm trying to find something that will fix my back for good.... so far I have found things that help but that won't cure me.....

Good luck to you!

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-08, 02:51 PM  
CarlaVeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyBlue
My pleasure. I do hope you find something that works for you. There is hope, though- I thought I would never be fixed and I feel fine now. I was helped a lot by VF-ers and I'm pleased to pass on what I learned.

Update us with your progress!!
How long did it take you to recover? It's been over a year for me... I feel much better now but I'm not normal yet.

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-08, 03:22 PM  
fschulman

Pilates and osteoarthritis

I had osteoarthritis in my right hip and found it increasingly difficult to do pilates as my hip deteriorated. I think many of the moves require a certain amount of flexibility and are difficult to do with stiff joints. Some of the strength exercises also require a strong core and the osteoarthritis creates a weakness. I have now recovered from hip resurfacing surgery and am able to do pilates again. However, it took almost a year after the surgery to be able to do all of the poses.
fschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-08, 03:26 PM  
naturallove

Quote:
Originally Posted by fschulman
I had osteoarthritis in my right hip and found it increasingly difficult to do pilates as my hip deteriorated. I think many of the moves require a certain amount of flexibility and are difficult to do with stiff joints. Some of the strength exercises also require a strong core and the osteoarthritis creates a weakness. I have now recovered from hip resurfacing surgery and am able to do pilates again. However, it took almost a year after the surgery to be able to do all of the poses.
It's interesting that you post this. I also have arthritis in my hips (as well as hip impingment). While I did have a hip spasm from going to a pilates on the ball class, I definitely enjoy my pilates reformer classes (I think the support helps) and videos. I definitely think the reformer class helps with my mobility--I find some positions common in yoga (lotus, cross-legged, sitting on ankles) to be really stressful or painful. I'm so happy to hear that things are better for you after the hip resurfacing. I'm not 30 yet, and I'm hoping to delay surgery for as long as possible. However, I am aiming to get the resurfacing so that they'll be able to preserve more bone (as opposed to total hip replacement).
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-08, 03:36 PM  
RubyBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaVeg
How long did it take you to recover? It's been over a year for me... I feel much better now but I'm not normal yet.
Hi Carla,

I have to say- it took a long time. But that was because I did myself no favours by keeping exercising beyond my capacities i.e. too much high-impact stuff.

I was also seeing osteopaths, having acupuncture, cortisone injections, going to physiotherapists, yoga classes, pilates DVDs...you name it, I did it. I think I learned a little bit from all of the above and found some great tapes after picking up tips from VF.

The problem was that I kept having different diagnoses. I really don't know what the solution really is/was, I just seemed to get the magic combination for me- low impact cardio, yoga stretches, abs/core strengthening , back strengthening. I can now do virtually anything I did before- I was even running 10ks before I was preggo, doing IMAX 3, plyometrics etc...pregnancy has put paid to that but not because of my back.

One final thought- I forgot this before. Everyone who ever sees my back comments favourably on the musculature. So I must also thank the Firm and Cathe for getting me into lat rows, standing bent over rows, and other back exercises with weights.

Good luck with your recovery! It will happen but you might need to be a bit more patient than I was.

(I'm dying to gte that viniyoga DVD, by the way! And Debbie Siebers' one!)
Old 10-09-08, 03:41 PM  
fschulman

I'm not 30 yet, and I'm hoping to delay surgery for as long as possible. However, I am aiming to get the resurfacing so that they'll be able to preserve more bone (as opposed to total hip replacement).[/QUOTE]

Definitely delay the surgery as long as you can, especially since you are so young. You will know when you need it. Resurfacing is a much better option because you end up with a greater range of motion and do not have the risks of dislocation. I actually have more flexibility in my hip than I have ever had when it comes to sitting cross legged. However, I am still not able to touch the floor with my knees straight and sun salutations do not come easily yet.
fschulman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back pain, pilates