Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-12-08, 09:42 AM  
Severen

Intermediate/Advanced Pilates Recommendations?

Can anyone recommend some good solid intermediate/advanced Pilates mat workouts? I already have Jennifer Kries Precision Pilates and Mari Winsor Accelerated Body Sculpting. I'm hoping to find some more workouts similar to those, or one or two with a little extra challenge to them.

Thanks!
Old 09-12-08, 09:59 AM  
naturallove

I'm sure some of the mat mavens on here will have other suggestions, but I really like Jules Benson's Total Core Pilates. It has a lot of exercises that deviate from the traditional matwork sequence, but I think it's a great core workout with a killer legwork sequence. One thing I like about this workout (that also makes it a challenge) is that the workout is very rhythmic. That means that there's a distinct flow to the workout that doesn't allow for a whole lot of down time. I will probably write a more complete review of this workout soon, but for what it's worth, this gets a big thumbs up from me. (I'm pretty picky, too!)
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 10:27 AM  
mj476

Rael Pilates 27 and Hilary Burnett Advanced Matt Pilates.

Rael is 48 mins. - a bit long, but covers a lot and he is very good with form and instruction. He has two exercisers with him which do all of the workout and he does advanced modifications.

Hilary's is about 22 minutes. Not really any instruction but a good flow and it's good for an add-on.

Also MTV Pilates Mix - 3 workouts; two are about 30 mins. each and the bonus is a leg workout that is about 11 mins.

Marcy
Old 09-12-08, 10:27 AM  
KathAL79

I'd make sure you're fully comfortable with intermediate / intermediate + practices before tackling the advanced ones, but you probably know that already.
Here are my picks:

Hilary Burnett - Mind Body Mat Pilates Intermediate (then Advanced, once you're fully prepared)
Ana Caban's Pilates Abs (maybe also Maintenance Pilates for Weight Loss)
Niedra Gabriel - Fit Chic: Fashion Your Body with Pilates (although this is an odd one, in that there's a segment without instruction and a slower one with)
Kristin McGee - MTV Pilates or MTV Pilates Mix (the latter is more challenging)
Moira Merrithew - Stott Pilates Core Challenge, Strong & Streamlined, and Intermediate (either 2nd or 3rd edition) (then Advanced, either 2nd or 3rd edition, once you're ready)
Sarah Picot - More than Mat Pilates Intermediate (then Advanced; these are not the traditional matwork series but the apparatus moves adapted to the mat)
Mari Winsor - Advanced Body Slimming (then Maximum Burn Super Sculpting & Body Slimming, which combines traditional and apparatus moves, all on the mat)

Keli Robert's Quick Fix Pilates Abs and the 10 Minute Solutions are also good. (The Rapid Results 10 Minute Solutions is more challenging than the original; I haven't had the chance to try the newest one.)

Here is the Pilates reviews page, to help you do more reading up.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 10:50 AM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallove
I'm sure some of the mat mavens on here will have other suggestions, but I really like Jules Benson's Total Core Pilates. It has a lot of exercises that deviate from the traditional matwork sequence, but I think it's a great core workout with a killer legwork sequence. One thing I like about this workout (that also makes it a challenge) is that the workout is very rhythmic. That means that there's a distinct flow to the workout that doesn't allow for a whole lot of down time. I will probably write a more complete review of this workout soon, but for what it's worth, this gets a big thumbs up from me. (I'm pretty picky, too!)
Thumbs up from me too. I really enjoy Jules workout and find it quite advanced when I concentrate on proper form and technique.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 11:20 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Jules Benson's dvd ROCKS! I also like Ana Caban's Intermediate Pilates which also includes Energy Boost 2 Pilates. I recently got her AM/PM Pilates which also has Energy Boost 1.

Kath's recommedations are stellar! She helped me pick many in my collection!

I also have Sarah Picot's but haven't tried them yet.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 11:33 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

I am not an MTV person but the MTV Pilates and the other one, Pilates Mix are excellent. My all time favs are the Hillary Burnett ones. She is awesome.

I liked Rael but he moved a little slowly for me.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 11:43 AM  
BarbK
VF Supporter

I did the new 10 minute solution DVD with Suzanne Bowen last night and was pleasantly surprised how good it was. It is typical 10 minute segments and you can create your own mix. If the Bun and Thigh segment wasn't enough, you could repeat it in the practice. I also really liked the siloutte segment.

I thought I was going to have to drop my puny 3 lb dumbbells in the arm segment. (It is 10 minutes and goes to the floor so the part that uses dumbbells is probably about 5 minutes. OUCH!!!

I just can't believe that she was a Lotte Berke instructor; she is so different now (definitely for the better) - but you can tell some LB insfluence in some of the exercises.

The 10 minute stretch was excellent as well.

My top votes would be:
1. The Jules Benson DVD - the leg work is killer.
2. MTV Pilates Mix is definitely tough but I think a lot of the MIX is yoga.
BarbK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 05:41 PM  
glorybelle75

My favorite Pilates is MTV Pilates Mix with Kristen McGee. She has something new coming later this fall.
Old 09-12-08, 05:58 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

All of these are very challenging.

The advanced Pilates dvds I have:

Stott Advanced Matwork 3rd edition
Stott Strong and Streamlined (a bit easier than the advanced one)
MTV Pilates Mix
Pilates Abs with Ana Caban (shows only ab exercises, but is advanced)
Pilates in the City Level 3 with Jonathan Urla (a favorite)
Hilary Burnett's Pilates Advanced
Classical Pilates (shows 3 levels from beginner to very advanced)
Winsor Pilates Maximum Burn, Super Sculpting and Body Slimming (this one is the toughest of the lot)
Rael is good, but his toughest workout is easier than any of the ones above.

Many of these instructors also have intermediate dvds available.

Tags
jules benson, mtv pilates mix, pilates, precision pilates