Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-08, 10:59 AM  
adrien_73

Peel Off the Pounds Pilates with Kathy Smith?

I have been reading some mixed reviews on this one. If you have tried it, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Collage rates it as beginner/intermediate. I usually do advanced workouts for cardio & strength but have not done a lot of pilates. I am looking for some gentler sessions that would still be beneficial. Do you think it would be too easy?

TIA!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-08, 03:42 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

I have done the cardio & lower body (legs) pilates toning. The cardio section I did twice. I thought it was more athletic when I previewed it, but when I did it the dance influence came through to me. I am up in the air about it, but it's low impact, & I made it intermediate intensity with no problem. the pilates toning I did was for the legs, & I thought it was worhtless. I haven't tried the abs pilates yet, I'm not really into pilates that much, but I try off & on to like it better.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-08, 06:18 PM  
juberann

HATED the cardio segment when I did it the first time,found the music simply awful and the workout too slow,HOWEVER,after several more attempts,it has grown on me a little bit and now it's a great workout for light days,you will NOT get much of a cardio workout doing this one but it is gentle and relaxing and for those reasons I now like this one. I love both the upper and lower body portions in this one,Kathy does a great job instructing (as usual) and there is no dread factor for me at all with those two segments. Would I recommend this workout? Absolutely!! Judy
juberann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-08, 07:02 PM  
adrien_73

Hmmm...I was kind of hoping there would be a bit of a cardio benefit from this. Thank you both for posting your thoughts! I think I will pass & get Ellen's Slim Sculpt instead!
Old 01-27-08, 07:56 PM  
pattyd0319

This workout is a good alternative to Ellen Barretts Self Workouts or Fat Burning Fusion. If you are looking for advanced Cathe or Amy Bento type workouts this is not it but yes to a solid Pilates workout with some decent cardio benefits. The cardio and strength reminded me a lot of Ellen Barrett and Tracey Mallett Cardio Fusion stuff so it boils down to what you are looking for.

I enjoyed the cardio and strength moves and used this a light day option this past week while in the middle of a Cathe 4 day split rotation. The floor work is definitely tougher than the standing work.
pattyd0319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-08, 07:56 PM  
juberann

Oh yeah,Slim Sculpt with Ellen, DEFINITELY a must-have!! Between the two,I would without a doubt choose Slim Sculpt!!
juberann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-08, 10:46 PM  
lissalaurel76

It is one of the worst purchases I've ever made. The music is absolutely intolerable ! The cardio is so repetetive. The pilates exercises aren't really anything you can't find on other pilates DVDs. The one good thing is how low impact the workout is, but that's it's only saving grace. My recommendation is to pass on it.
Old 01-28-08, 06:16 AM  
adrien_73

Thank you all for saving me some $! There are mostly favorable reviews at Collage so I almost ordered yesterday!
Old 01-28-08, 11:40 AM  
F1mom

Is this the new one? I've been contemplating getting this one, but I already own her Pilates for Lower Body and Pilates for Abs, not to mention the Pilates Core from Project You.

Is it just me or do some of Kathy's newer workouts have an almost desperate quality to them?
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-09, 04:20 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i've had this workout in its sealed condition for about a year - DH gave it to me for Christmas 07. i had read mixed reviews on it ever since it was released and was therefore reluctant to try it! i didn't want to return it because it was a gift from DH.

i did the LB workout yesterday morning, and my Loins Are Still Sore 24+ hours later!!!

i was inspired to try it because i enjoyed doing her most recent Total Body Lift (a barre workout with some pilates moves in it).

for PotPP, i did the warm up, the lower body/core, and the stretch. it's programmable, which is nice. this sequence i chose lasted 20 min.

it reminded me of a more updated, relevant, floorwork/standing leg kind of workout. there's not many reps, but following her cues, and using good form out of my own habit, this workout turned out to be very intense.

there's this one move where you're leaning sideways on one arm, facing the TV, supported by the knee of the same side that you're leaning on, and your leg is up and parallel to the floor. you do lifts, forward and backward sweeps. then you put that leg down and lift the bottom leg to work the inner thigh.

it doesn't sound spectacular reading it, but somehow, it was a very good workout. my inner thighs, upper back thighs are very tender today.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kathy smith, pilates