Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-07, 10:14 AM  
bearcatfan

10 Min Slim and Sculpt Pilates?

Is there a verdict on this one?

I picked it up for $9.99 at Wal-Mart this morning, band included. Anyone have it and can comment?
Old 09-15-07, 10:47 AM  
a_real_twit
VF Supporter

Not yet - also bought it but have not done it. I don't allow myslef to do new workouts before previewing them first, needless to say I have a whole box of new workouts I bought or got for trade or SASE waiting for me to preview. I am hoping to get to it by my next pilates day.

ETA - $10 at Walmart is great! My local Walmart carries almost "NO" fitness DVD's except around the holidays.
Old 09-15-07, 10:57 AM  
Inchworm

Is this the one with Susan Bowen or something like that??? If it is, I'm sure it's good. I think she originated from the Lotte Berk workouts and she was also in a different 10 minute Blast Belly Fat one and it's pretty good. Does it have green on the cover?? Let us know what you think. I don't know if I'm thinking of the right one, but is this the one with the band?

Thanks,

Kelly
Inchworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-07, 11:32 AM  
bfit

I like it

I got it from Collage and did it for the first time yesterday. There are 5 segments - upper body, lower body, abs, total body, and stretch - and I only did abs, total body, and stretch. I did look at the other segments though. I like it a lot. It has some different moves in it - moves that use the band to duplicate what you might do on the reformer. And it really uses the band for almost every exercise - not just part of the time. It's pretty tough too. I would say high intermediate and definitely not beginner. The instruction is good, but it does move a little fast the first time through because it takes a while to get your band in position (wrapped around your feet or whatever) for the next exercise, and if you don't know that a change in the band position is coming it can be sort of a rushed transition. After a time or two I should be ready for those changes though.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-07, 01:21 PM  
KathAL79

Thanks for the first impressions, bfit! I agree that this one looks very tempting!

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-07, 04:03 PM  
bearcatfan

OK, I just did the lower body portion of this, which is really all I'll probably use anyway. I used Cathe's green band instead of the very light resistance one that came with it.

I am not a Pilates person. About the only Pilates workouts I use are the 10 minute solutions with Lara Hudson because that's all I can stand . And I really liked this one (high praise indeed)!

The lead was very personable and moved quickly, so I wasn't bored. The exercises themselves could be made harder based on the tension of the band. Included were leg circles, side lifts, hot potato, frog kicks (?), and donkey kicks using the band. The donkey kicks rocked with the band, I'd never done that before. I really tried to increase the band's resistance, and I have heavier ones on order that I think will really kick this into "ouch" territory.

All in all, this is well worth it if you can get it for under $10. Use a better band than the one it came with. Maybe if you are used to Supreme Pilates or something like that it won't be much of a workout, but if you don't normally use resistance with your Pilates workouts it might be worth looking into especially for the price.

And I wouldn't mind repeating the leg section or - even better - combining this with the leg portion of Amy Bento's 10 minute solution for a pretty decent band workout. I think the key to these 10 minute jobs, at least for most of us, is to use a different band than the one they tend to come with.
Old 09-15-07, 05:29 PM  
a_real_twit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatfan
I think the key to these 10 minute jobs, at least for most of us, is to use a different band than the one they tend to come with.

Totally agree!!

Thanks for the review!
Old 10-01-07, 06:56 PM  
juliel
VF Supporter

love it!! just got it and tried it tonight!

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-07, 07:19 PM  
a_real_twit
VF Supporter

I finally got around to trying it too - did the lower body, total body and abs segments. I liked it a lot.
Old 10-02-07, 09:36 AM  
cherimac

I rented this one from Netflix and loved the sections I did. Because Netflix doesn't send the band, lol, I used Cathe's green medium resistance one too. I did the legs, abs and flexibility segments. I tend not to do upper body for pilates, I like lifting weights better. I think it's $9 and change at my local Walmart and plan to get it as well.

Tags
10 minute solution, pilates, pilates band