Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-18-19, 09:06 AM  
Tugger31

Question Resistance Band help

I want to purchase some good quality resistance bands with handles with or without a door attachment to use mainly for back exercises. The only bands I own know are Cathe's 3 bands (without handles). I find that I use too much grip strength and end up using more bicep than back with those. I have no clue how many to get as the back is a strong muscle but the back exercises also include some rear delt and rotator cuff work so that would obviously use a lighter resistance. I don't want them to snap suddenly so looking for something that will last. Thanks!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-19, 10:57 AM  
Taiga

You might consider using covered bands, something like this. When I'm working larger muscle groups with bands, I tend to put a lot of stretch on the bands. The cover protects you from being snapped if the band breaks. I wouldn't be able to put my all into it if I was afraid of a sudden break. HTH.

ETA: You can combine bands as you get stronger so a set gives you more versatility.
Old 06-18-19, 11:07 AM  
sherry7899

I was just going to ask the same thing!

Taiga, thank you for posting about the covered bands. I am worried about bands snapping, so these look great!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-19, 11:39 AM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I was just going to ask the same thing!

Taiga, thank you for posting about the covered bands. I am worried about bands snapping, so these look great!
Glad to help I rarely use any "bare" resistance bands these days because who needs more worry

I do have a nice set of bands that came with my T-grip set. I still use those but I wear safety glasses which only adds to my total dorkness score I plan to switch those out with covered bands soon.
Old 06-18-19, 11:47 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I really like the BodyLastics bands:

https://bodylastics.com/

They are designed not to snap. I bought a set and like them so much I bought DH the "Combat Ready Warrior Edition" set for his birthday.

https://www.amazon.com/Bodylastics-R...web_2586134011

I like that the weight is printed on the band. The handles are very comfortable and it is easy to add or lower resistance.

These are recommended by Bob& Brad, ("The 2 Most Famous Physical Therapists On The Internet"). I also bought their wall-mounted bracket set:

https://www.amazon.com/OPTP-Resistan...gateway&sr=8-1

We get a lot of use out of these items!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-19, 12:03 PM  
horusosiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I really like the BodyLastics bands:
I second the recommendation. Bodylastic bands are great and the company will replace them with no cost to you if they do snap. I have had mine for over ten years and in during this time two snapped (the two lightest bands) and they were replaced for free. I just had to send them a picture of the snapped band.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-19, 02:11 PM  
Tugger31

I have a question about the Bodylastics sets (not the Combat Ready set). Amazon shows sets with 12, 14, 19 and 31 pcs. I don't want to get anything I may not end up using. Is the 12 pc set enough resistance for heavier back exercises?
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-19, 05:56 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
Glad to help I rarely use any "bare" resistance bands these days because who needs more worry

I do have a nice set of bands that came with my T-grip set. I still use those but I wear safety glasses which only adds to my total dorkness score I plan to switch those out with covered bands soon.
Fellow dork here-I also wear safety glasses when I use tubing. I have heard stories of people losing an eye when they snap and I really don’t want to be a statistic. Plus I am a safety professional.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-19, 06:28 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by horusosiris View Post
I second the recommendation. Bodylastic bands are great and the company will replace them with no cost to you if they do snap. I have had mine for over ten years and in during this time two snapped (the two lightest bands) and they were replaced for free. I just had to send them a picture of the snapped band.
I like the Bodylastic bands also (had the big set) but ended up moving to covered bands after a few of them broke during heavy work. When they do break, it tends to be when I'm really working my back/larger muscle group. Unfortunately, that seems to make for a more painful snap (or even a sudden fall depending on the position). I just got to the point where i was reluctant to really dig in and do the work unless the band was covered.
Old 06-18-19, 11:07 PM  
Sharaz

Taiga - I just ordered the T-grip...Thank you
This will work perfect for biceps hammers curls. I have been combining weights with bands for a couple of years now. I usually do hammer curls during my weighted WOs and traditional curls during banded workouts. Hammer feels awkward with bands. Now I will be able to do both during the same WO. I think the bar gives better alignment to Shoulder Presses too.

Tugger - I purchased my bands at Dicks. The brand is Fitness Gear. Their bands are available up to high resistance levels which works well for back and legs. No issues so far.

I also want to add that incorporating bands has been fantastic to me. I do many Cathe workouts fully with bands. I learned by watching videos in YT about all the banded variations of many exercises. Sometimes she use an exercise that may not work well with bands, so I automatically substitute for one that I know works the same muscle group. Bands are great for the back. In fact I like it better than weights. I can feel my back muscles squeezing with each rep. Love to work the back!

Tags
bobandbrad, bodylastics, resistance bands, tubing