Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-08, 10:18 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

In the intellectual property suit in 2000 a US Federal court ruled that the term "pilates" was generic and free for unrestricted use. That's why there were suddenly a whole bunch of videos on the market and a whole bunch of weekend training workshops cropping up all over the place. The whole suit was actually infighting between Joe P's students and companies that manufacture equipment.

Joseph Pilates actually called his system of exercise "controlology", which I think sounds kind of awkward.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Old 09-02-08, 10:46 PM  
weighttrain
VF Supporter

Stott Pilates and Pilates Fit DVD's were hugely helpful for myself to leanr proper body alignment, form and sequence of exercises. Be forewarned that many of the Stott DVD's are almost identical. If you like an upbeat Pilates workout for home I recommend Jules Benson Core Pilates.

I have dog-eared Brooke Siler's pilates flashcards from her Pilates Body Kit. My fave book is by Alicia Ungaro "Bodies in Motion".

Beth
Old 09-03-08, 08:58 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Just a little note:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster
I assume that the lawsuit hasn't been an issue around here because it's old news by now--that is, since those trying to protect the Pilates copyright lost the right to do so.
Oh, I'm not calling it a common or the most current problem. I can simply imagine others' having problems with his involvement in that lawsuit, even though it's been years since its resolution and isn't a big current issue anymore. In its day, at least, it came up for discussion on a Pilates forum that I was reading, and certain people were rather annoyed at him. Some people may have long memories, heh.

(I don't have this same problem with him, but I do have problems with certain Pilates people that are similar : my problems appear uncommon, but they're big enough for me that I don't want to support those people financially. )
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pilates, pilates for beginners