Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-20-21, 08:51 AM  
donnamp

Cab - now I am nostalgic for Nancy Drew!

If you like a scary story - this was one of my favorites when I was in late elementary school:

Jane Emily by Patricia Clapp - the book was re-released with a second story The Witches Children which is also good.

Another scary story for the fall season is The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons

And the House with a Clock in its Walls - John Bellairs- another YA book that I enjoyed as an adult.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-21, 10:21 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Cab - now I am nostalgic for Nancy Drew!

If you like a scary story - this was one of my favorites when I was in late elementary school:

Jane Emily by Patricia Clapp - the book was re-released with a second story The Witches Children which is also good.

Another scary story for the fall season is The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons

And the House with a Clock in its Walls - John Bellairs- another YA book that I enjoyed as an adult.

Donna
The House Next Door is tough to find so I finally decided to order it used early in lockdown last year. I received a delivery notice but it never appeared in my mailbox. I asked my mailman but he had been on vacay those days and kindly checked some other boxes to see if it had been mistakenly delivered to a neighbor, but nothing and nobody left a package on my doorstep. I hope whoever did receive it enjoyed it!

I reread The House with a Clock in its Walls every few years, and loved Jane Emily. Among the Dolls by William Sleator is another childhood creepfest fave, and I also enjoyed The Westing Game, which is less scary and more puzzley. For slightly older readers, Summer of Fear by Lois Duncan is great.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-21, 10:33 AM  
sherry7899

I read Lois Duncan when I was in middle school and high school. I loved her books!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-21, 11:14 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I read Lois Duncan when I was in middle school and high school. I loved her books!
Me too!
Donna
Old 09-20-21, 01:30 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I've been on a bio/autobiography kick lately. The last one I read was Thank You Mr. Kibblewhite by Roger Daltrey. It was very interesting!
Quote:
I need to finish that one. A friend snagged an autographed copy for us from a bookstore in northern NJ.
interesting - i had a crush on RD when "Tommy" played in theaters back in the day!

I read Eminent Hipsters by Donald Fagen of Steely Dan a few months ago. Parts of it were good. it was somewhat disjointed. i liked how he described which artists influenced him and how he met Walter Becker. I also liked how he described how they selected which soloist's (session musicians) solo would make the cut into the final recording.

the rest of it was somewhat strange. i listened to the audio and also read the hard copy version. Donald reads the audio version - it's interesting to hear his speaking voice. I've seen him in concert and heard him speak (and sing), but hearing him read his book sounded "natural" vs. "robotic."

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-21, 01:37 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
How did you like The Night She Disappeared? I like Lisa Jewell's books but haven't read this one yet.

I think I have The Therapist but I was so turned off by Behind Closed Doors that I haven't read any other books of hers. I thought BCD was overhyped and not well written at all. Did you like The Therapist?
The Therapist is moving too slowly, but I will finish it. I doubt I will ever read another of her books again, though.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-21, 02:34 PM  
CabCalloway

Quote:
I just looked at her wikipedia page and discovered she wrote "Hotel for Dogs", which my DS loved when it was made into a movie in 2009.
CabCalloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-21, 03:40 PM  
Pam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabCalloway View Post
Being a man over 60 I find it funny to admit that lately I have been reading the original Nancy Drew mysteries. As a young person I was steered towards the Hardy Boys which I devoured back then, but later learned that the two series were in fact written by the same group of writers.

Anyway, whenever I'm in a used bookstore or at a tag sale and find one I buy it. They are as delightful to me today as the Hardy Boys were back then.

Better to be late to the party than never show up.
Thanks for the push CabCalloway! I have been cleaning out my Mother's house and I had hopes I would find my Nancy Drew books. I had a bunch! Found some other treasures, but no Nancy Drews. I will look at tag sales and used bookstores.
Old 09-21-21, 08:16 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
The Therapist is moving too slowly, but I will finish it. I doubt I will ever read another of her books again, though.
Ugh. I have to agree with you.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-21, 08:40 AM  
donnamp

My library has the first Nancy Drew book available to borrow on Kindle. I may read it next...they also have some Lois Duncan - may borrow those, too.

Some nice easy and nostalgic reading..

Donna

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, reading