Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-01-21, 05:45 PM  
sciencelady

2021 Decluttering Support and Motivation

Happy New Year everyone! I didn't see a new thread for this year so I thought I would start the new thread for 2021.

We post periodically when we are seeking motivation or advice on getting rid of the clutter. We also post when we have made progress.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-21, 08:04 PM  
fanofladyvols

Thank you!

I started off NYE afternoon by decluttering the Tupperware cupboard. (What took me so long to do this??)

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-21, 11:59 PM  
BunnyHop

Thank you! I may not post often, but I'm making progress.

I had to laugh the other day when I realized I'd decluttered a cabinet but had left it totally empty despite the clutter elsewhere in the house. Guess I need to start figuring out where to store stuff I WANT to keep.
Old 01-02-21, 12:48 AM  
Vantreesta

Thanks for starting us off, Anita!

I listened to the Organize 365 podcast on our walk this morning. Does that count??

Anna, that's too funny! I'm not sure there's any empty spaces in our house!

Linda, way to go starting off the year with decluttering! The only house stuff I did all day was empty the dishwasher and put more in!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-21, 07:58 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post

I had to laugh the other day when I realized I'd decluttered a cabinet but had left it totally empty despite the clutter elsewhere in the house. Guess I need to start figuring out where to store stuff I WANT to keep.
This is me! I had some major repairs done to my bathroom, had to take everything out. I want to re-arrange my "linen" closet and under the sink cupboard. Haven't decided how. So for now, all my bathroom items are sitting on the floor in a spare bedroom. I guess that should be the first think I tackle.

I have been de-cluttering and minimalizing for several years now, but there's always something to work on letting go of!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-21, 03:00 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

We had stack of things on a chair in our dining room. Most of it was DHs and he finally went through it - mostly (like 99%) things to toss (why why did they have to age indoors?) - at the bottom of the pile were some things that made it clear this had been cluttering our dining room for at least 5 years. sigh. but yeah!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-21, 04:15 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
I have been de-cluttering and minimalizing for several years now, but there's always something to work on letting go of!
^^ This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventmom View Post
We had stack of things on a chair in our dining room. Most of it was DHs and he finally went through it - mostly (like 99%) things to toss (why why did they have to age indoors?) - at the bottom of the pile were some things that made it clear this had been cluttering our dining room for at least 5 years. sigh. but yeah!
I think that's a HUGE victory! When something has hung around that long, I think it's harder to deal with. You made me laugh asking why things have to age indoors..haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
The only house stuff I did all day was empty the dishwasher and put more in!
Vantreesta there have been days in my life, I count that as a victory ..so you get a fist bump from me!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 09:03 AM  
DCW

In March, I thought I had rounded up all of the lotions, sprays and soaps from Bath and Body Works. I didn't buy anything during their summer or Christmas sales. My assortment of stuff was getting thin. I was shaking tubes to get the last drop. So I figured I could buy some during their winter sale.

I was looking for something else and found 4 tubes of lotion. So I figured I just shopped in my closet and no need to buy anything.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 10:14 AM  
Catahoula Cate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
I was looking for something else and found 4 tubes of lotion. So I figured I just shopped in my closet and no need to buy anything.
This made me laugh. I've done that and come up with some fun surprises.

Quit sitting!! Joints and muscles love motion!

Do The Next Thing!
Catahoula Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 03:36 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

reading everyone's posts, and i'm noticing that i'm great at making piles of stuff when trying to declutter.

i came up with what i estimate is 2 lawn bags of things to donate! and these are non-clothing things. objects, books....

i'm noticing a dark side of myself - i have an embarrassingly large collection of fitness DVDs, and this is not news! this is a re-run, a broken record, Bill Murray's Ground Hog Day!!!

what have I been doing all these years of accumulating things? i'm glad i got just a few things for Christmas that will get used and hopefully avoid being a future donation to Goodwill. i have also avoided buying anything online or in stores for myself for the past 6 weeks. because i have been home looking at all of the clutter, it has given me motivation to start paring down this mountain.

in archaeological terms, i've reached items that were acquired within the past 5 years to consider for purging.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
career advice, declutter, decluttering, downsizing, sentimental clutter