Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   now I'm in the right place (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=226791)

tytbody 09-14-19 04:47 PM

now I'm in the right place
 
Who is a progressive Pilates instructor you vouch for?

I'm presently doing this lady I found on YouTube but I don't know what's a good instructor and who is not..

who do you trust?

I’m asking about PILATES only

marki64 09-14-19 05:57 PM

You wing it and find what's right for you. What one likes, you may not. It's fun trying new instructors. You aren't always going to find the best form and instruction on YT. Thankfully I can overlook bad form, because Cathe taught me well through the years.:D

tytbody 09-14-19 06:00 PM

There are some good instructors on there. I believe. You just have to find them. They like that lady Linda Wooldridge right? The Barlates woman?

marki64 09-14-19 06:07 PM

Yes, Linda is good. Gymra has a lot of Pilates type workouts. Some are good. Some of the instructors can be bimbo-ish though. They are always on the beach, which annoys me for some reason. You can never go wrong with Popsugar. Always good instructors imo.

tytbody 09-14-19 06:16 PM

Pop sugar is not Pilates ? Not looking for that format.,

tytbody 09-14-19 06:20 PM

No way on gymra for me. Hope more people chime in here.

tytbody 09-14-19 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marki64 (Post 2838234)
You aren't always going to find the best form and instruction on YT. Thankfully I can overlook bad form, because Cathe taught me well through the years.:D

Donít agree with this statement. There good instructors there. Every one doesnít have to make a dvd to be good.

furmomof6 09-14-19 07:02 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by progressive, but I have tried Pilates by Lisa, The Balanced life with Robin Long, Pilates Nest, Carrie Pages Pilates and currently, Jessica Valant. I personally think that Lisa with Pilates by Lisa and Jessica Valant give great form pointers and instruction. Lisa's workouts are more advanced, but Jessica feels just right to me.

I liked the Pilates Nest workouts a lot, they were feel good and a good workout, but not overkill.

I didn't care for Robin Long or Carrie Pages, but that was just me not clicking with their workouts. Although I do occasionally still use the workouts I downloaded from Robin's site.

I think they are all good instructors though.

tytbody 09-14-19 07:06 PM

Thank you Christine. I mean someone who starts at beginner lessons and slowly bring you to more challenging positions. Thank you so much. I am doing Robins 10 day challenge right now and I am looking to where Iíll go after this is done.

I will check out these suggestions.

furmomof6 09-14-19 07:13 PM

You're welcome! I know Pilates by Lisa has a beginner series on her website, separate from her regular workouts, but in general her workouts are pretty advanced (although she does show modifications). I don't think Carrie Pages would be progressive. Her website actually seems geared more towards classes for other instructors, and most of her stuff is advanced too. Jessica Valant has a 30 Day Pilates Jumpstart for Beginners on her website, but her registration closes tomorrow. You can't go wrong sticking with Robin if you like her workouts, or trying Pilates Nest.

tytbody 09-14-19 07:16 PM

Iím liking what I see from Lisa. Very controlled. Going to look at the rest you suggested.

tytbody 09-14-19 07:31 PM

Iím liking Jessica. I guess I have to make up my mind by tomorrow . This is a sign.

furmomof6 09-14-19 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tytbody (Post 2838251)
Iím liking Jessica. I guess I have to make up my mind by tomorrow . This is a sign.

Lisa and Jessica both offer a two-week trial for free or $1, I believe.

tytbody 09-14-19 07:53 PM

I think it will be Jessica. Iíll let you know if I do it tomorrow. Thank you very much for opening my plea:).

I think I do need someone to tell me what to do each day.

donnamp 09-14-19 08:01 PM

Another You Tuber to try is Trifecta Pilates - she just did a 5 day Pilates Kickstart Challenge and I think the workouts are still up on her channel.

Donna

tytbody 09-14-19 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnamp (Post 2838260)
Another You Tuber to try is Trifecta Pilates - she just did a 5 day Pilates Kickstart Challenge and I think the workouts are still up on her channel.

Donna

Thank you Donna.

tytbody 09-14-19 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnamp (Post 2838260)
Another You Tuber to try is Trifecta Pilates - she just did a 5 day Pilates Kickstart Challenge and I think the workouts are still up on her channel.

Donna

Iím looking for her fee? Where is it ?

donnamp 09-15-19 04:31 AM

Cheryl - she is on You Tube - Trifecta Pilates. I think she may have a paid site, too. But I just use You Tube.

Here's her website, it looks like her membership is closed for now. I hate when instructors do that!!

https://trifectapilates.com/programs/membership/

But, there is plenty on You Tube.

Donna

buffmama 09-15-19 06:26 AM

Beth at Trifecta Pilates gives lots of modifications and form cues encouraging you to take it at your level. She is my vote for a progressive practice.

furmomof6 09-15-19 06:33 AM

Cheryl, I just wanted to mention that Jessica has other workouts besides Pilates on her website, though it seems to be mostly Pilates. She also includes HIIT and some weight training just so you are not surprised! I also like having a calendar to follow.

Hattie 09-15-19 08:46 AM

I have never been a Pilates fan, but yesterday, I did Karen Voight's Total Body Training Pilates (I hadn't done it in ages as I have the vhs version). It uses a Pilates ring. It is a great workout for the thighs and butt in particular.

cherimac 09-15-19 08:51 AM

My current favorite is Pilates Nest. Pilates Anytime is another great one. Jessica Valant is a good instructor, I just wanted more Pilates content. Pilates by Lisa I did for years, but sheís not true Pilates. She does too many reps and lacks flow. Itís more Pilates inspired, in my opinion.

bubbles76 09-15-19 09:13 AM

Cheryl thanks for asking this question! I mostly use dvds for pilates (when I test the waters with pilates, ha!) and it's nice to have options in one place that are progressive. Are you looking for free sites specifically, or it doesn't matter as long as it's good?

tytbody 09-15-19 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherimac (Post 2838293)
My current favorite is Pilates Nest. Pilates Anytime is another great one. Jessica Valant is a good instructor, I just wanted more Pilates content. Pilates by Lisa I did for years, but she’s not true Pilates. She does too many reps and lacks flow. It’s more Pilates inspired, in my opinion.

I don’t understand this. You said Lisa is too many reps and lacks flow, but then you said it’s more Pilates inspired. I don’t get that? Please explain. How can it be too much Pilates inspired if it’s suppose to be Pilates ?

tytbody 09-15-19 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbles76 (Post 2838296)
Cheryl thanks for asking this question! I mostly use dvds for pilates (when I test the waters with pilates, ha!) and it's nice to have options in one place that are progressive. Are you looking for free sites specifically, or it doesn't matter as long as it's good?

I would have preferred for a free site but I joined Jessicaís on line classes last night since she is also closing her doors until next year

furmomof6 09-15-19 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tytbody (Post 2838299)
I donít understand this. You said Lisa is too many repair lacks flow, but then you said itís more Pilates inspired. I donít get that? Please explain. How can it be too much Pilates inspired if itís suppose to be Pilates ?

I'm not Cheri, but what I think she meant is that Lisa's workouts are more inspired by Pilates rather than true Pilates in nature. In other words, they are Pilates-like, but not true, classical Pilates.

I hope you like Jessica's site! She does have the 30 day beginner program if you want to start there.

tytbody 09-15-19 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by furmomof6 (Post 2838316)
I'm not Cheri, but what I think she meant is that Lisa's workouts are more inspired by Pilates rather than true Pilates in nature. In other words, they are Pilates-like, but not true, classical Pilates.

I hope you like Jessica's site! She does have the 30 day beginner program if you want to start there.

Oh thank you. What are specific Pilates moves she does something extra to it ?

Iím very glad I asked because I wouldnít know the difference but I understand what you said. I do plan on doing a beginners after this Saturday or before. I have 3 more days of Robin, then I will have gotten myself into a morning routine I can do. That means, do it before breakfast. When I eat, I drag it out to Ďyou can do that later, or after I eat this and then wait Ĺ hour and still donít want to do it.

prettyinpink 09-15-19 12:06 PM

I recommend John Garey tv. His instruction is excellent. He includes different workout levels. Just workouts without recipe, lifestyle and generic mindfulness stuff (that stuff doesnít bother me but I donít want to pay extra for it).

I like Pilates by Lisa and think her instruction is good. She does do more reps than traditional Pilates, and I think especially for some of her lower body stuff, she includes a lot of more traditional calisthenic mat exercises rather than sticking to straight Pilates. This is actually one of the things I like about her, because I love lower body mat work and herís is challenging. I think the high reps is why some might say she is advanced, but actually she doesnít include some of the more advanced classical Pilates mat variations.

Pilates Anytime and Pilatesology have lots of content and lots of instructors to choose from. Almost overwhelming to me but lots of good stuff.

tytbody 09-15-19 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hattie (Post 2838291)
I have never been a Pilates fan, but yesterday, I did Karen Voight's Total Body Training Pilates (I hadn't done it in ages as I have the vhs version). It uses a Pilates ring. It is a great workout for the thighs and butt in particular.

I love my ring. I may have thrown out or got rid of other stuff, but in my soul I still knew I would get back to Pilates. I like the ring better than band workouts

My electronic devices don’t like the word , LOVE, they always want to replace it with LIVE.

furmomof6 09-15-19 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tytbody (Post 2838317)
Oh thank you. What are specific Pilates moves she does something extra to it ?

I think PrettyinPink explained it well. She does a lot more of what I would consider "old school" type floor work, rather than classical Pilates moves. I didn't know the difference at first either, but I actually liked that about her.

Good for you for getting into the habit! I hope you like Jessica's stuff!

Quote:

Originally Posted by prettyinpink (Post 2838319)

I like Pilates by Lisa and think her instruction is good. She does do more reps than traditional Pilates, and I think especially for some of her lower body stuff, she includes a lot of more traditional calisthenic mat exercises rather than sticking to straight Pilates. This is actually one of the things I like about her, because I love lower body mat work and herís is challenging. I think the high reps is why some might say she is advanced, but actually she doesnít include some of the more advanced classical Pilates mat variations.

I agree with you, I liked that about her too. I also thought about my wording of "advanced" because I realized in hindsight some might take that to mean she uses advanced Pilates moves, whereas I really meant she has lots of reps which makes it more challenging. I do miss her floor work!

cherimac 09-15-19 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prettyinpink (Post 2838319)

I like Pilates by Lisa and think her instruction is good. She does do more reps than traditional Pilates, and I think especially for some of her lower body stuff, she includes a lot of more traditional calisthenic mat exercises rather than sticking to straight Pilates. This is actually one of the things I like about her, because I love lower body mat work and her’s is challenging. I think the high reps is why some might say she is advanced, but actually she doesn’t include some of the more advanced classical Pilates mat variations.

Thanks! That’s it exactly. It’s like Ballet Beautiful-a lot of calisthenic exercises.

Traditional Pilates is more 8-10 reps and the moves flow from one to another. Lisa does a lot of all fours work for the lower rather than lots of traditional full ROM things like the side kick series, etc. Not bad at all, just different than true blue Pilates. And a lot of people love it because of that.

kimf 09-16-19 06:33 AM

I don't have much to add to these recommendations, but rather a complaint about some, in particular Pilates Nest and Jessica Valante, that have such bad acoustics! I can't stand the echo-y sound when they don't use a microphone. If I am going to pay for content, I want to hear the form instruction. Invest in a mike pack for petes sake.

Thanks for the other recommendations - I am going to check some of these out.

tytbody 09-16-19 10:12 AM

I think I'm going with Trifecta Pilates. Its good to hear the cons, because if that is something irritating, it won't work.

I did Day #7 today with Robin. 3 more to go. Then I'll start my new program.

I appreciate all these suggestions and I got to see many different styles.. If you don't know what to look for you don't know what is not a good fit.

You all helped in my decision making..

donnamp 09-16-19 10:29 AM

I like Trifecta. On her You Tube Channel she has a Level 1 and Level 2 Playlist and she also puts out a free monthly calendar that uses her You Tube workouts.
Donna

sillygirl 09-16-19 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimf (Post 2838416)
I don't have much to add to these recommendations, but rather a complaint about some, in particular Pilates Nest and Jessica Valante, that have such bad acoustics! I can't stand the echo-y sound when they don't use a microphone. If I am going to pay for content, I want to hear the form instruction. Invest in a mike pack for petes sake.

Thanks for the other recommendations - I am going to check some of these out.

I agree, good production is on my must-have list for a streaming site and DVD. We all can view workouts in bedrooms/living rooms with mic-less instructors for free on YouTube. ;)

DebnPhx 09-16-19 05:08 PM

Todd Pilates
 
I have been doing online workouts from Todd Pilates, a studio in Austin. They are a good fast workout with modern music. They are also very reasonable for streaming. And he provides many modifications and form pointers. If you google ToddPilates it will come right up. His workouts are also on Vimeo so you can download them, watch them on a Roku TV, et.

cherimac 09-16-19 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimf (Post 2838416)
I don't have much to add to these recommendations, but rather a complaint about some, in particular Pilates Nest and Jessica Valante, that have such bad acoustics! I can't stand the echo-y sound when they don't use a microphone. If I am going to pay for content, I want to hear the form instruction. Invest in a mike pack for petes sake.

Thanks for the other recommendations - I am going to check some of these out.

Smriti of Pilates Nest recently moved and the acoustics are much better. But, not like Barre3, etc. That doesnít bother me because I know that sheís a one woman show and canít afford all the bells and whistles. That said, I can see why it bothers some people.

txhsmom 09-17-19 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherimac (Post 2838568)
Smriti of Pilates Nest recently moved and the acoustics are much better. But, not like Barre3, etc. That doesnít bother me because I know that sheís a one woman show and canít afford all the bells and whistles. That said, I can see why it bothers some people.

I agree with you Cheri. When some instructors are fairly new in the video/streaming game, they don't always have the best production values in their videos. It's fun to see their work improve over time. Suzanne Bowen's early stuff didn't have the greatest sound, as I recall, but it's gotten really good over the years.

Carol

tytbody 09-17-19 08:24 AM

I see what you mean about acoustic. When they are on the beach it’s very windy. They need some noise canceling mics.

The other thing the need is those cameras that follow you, I say this because when they do wood chopper or reach up excercise, their hands are cut off

tytbody 09-18-19 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by furmomof6 (Post 2838282)
Cheryl, I just wanted to mention that Jessica has other workouts besides Pilates on her website, though it seems to be mostly Pilates. She also includes HIIT and some weight training just so you are not surprised! I also like having a calendar to follow.

thank you.. i like that she uses equipment. I get board or tired of the same thing all the time. I like my hand weights and my bands and balls


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2009 Video Fitness