Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   I walked and now my shins are talking to me! (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=170011)

isebelleg44 08-27-11 11:44 AM

I walked and now my shins are talking to me!

I learned a valuable lesson the other day, that I need to start cross training for cardio. I thought I was in pretty decent shape, since I can do Insanity, Cathe etc. I took my girls for a 3 mile walk in the stroller and my shins are still sore three days later! I used to run, but have been mainly doing cardio dvds with a lot of plyo type moves. Time to just get outside and walk!

Jeanne Marie 08-27-11 12:46 PM

I run 3-5 miles a day, and even I find that walking can make me sore. It uses your leg muscles in a completely different way.

I also find that walking hills is a great change up from running hills.

Gardengirl 08-27-11 01:36 PM

What kind of shape are your shoes in? I know if my shoes are wearing out (which is happening to me right now :eek:), my shins will start talking to me. But like Jeanne Marie said, if it's a new exercise for you it might just be that it's going to take some time.

Debbie S. 08-29-11 01:17 PM

I can run with zero shin pain, but walking long distances at a really fast pace always kills my shins. My father is the same way. I find that starting off at a slower pace and then building up speed lessens the pain.

bzar 08-29-11 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gardengirl (Post 1876800)
What kind of shape are your shoes in? I know if my shoes are wearing out (which is happening to me right now :eek:), my shins will start talking to me.

i was just going to say the same thing.

you may need different shoes for walking than what you'd use for other activities.

also, consider getting walking inserts. i have the WalkFit brand that i bought from bed, bath and beyond and they work really well.

isebelleg44 08-29-11 02:26 PM

Thanks ladies for all your replies. I think I was mostly sore, because I never walk long distances anymore. It made me realize that I need to vary my cardio activities and if I do decide to walk on a regular basis for exercise, than I definitely need to invest in a good pair of shoes.

mmis29 08-29-11 02:32 PM

This thread has perfect timing. I walked into my first spin class today thinking "noooo problem, I got this" since I do the bike on my own, Cathe, Turbo, etc and have for years. Yeah....15 minutes later I thought I was gonna pass out.

Hope your shins feel better! And you give them more attention than Cathe does :sun:

isebelleg44 08-29-11 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmis29 (Post 1877807)
This thread has perfect timing. I walked into my first spin class today thinking "noooo problem, I got this" since I do the bike on my own, Cathe, Turbo, etc and have for years. Yeah....15 minutes later I thought I was gonna pass out.

Hope your shins feel better! And you give them more attention than Cathe does :sun:

I miss taking live spin classes. They used to be so tough! Even though I can do Insanity or Cathe, I would probably pass out in a real Spin class. I need to stop doing plyo jacks and burpees and start walking!

Kathryn 08-29-11 03:29 PM

The shins are worked more in walking (especially speedwalking and racewalking) than in running. It's not shin splints, but rather just a muscle that's not used to the work it's doing.

Be sure to stretch/massage your shins after each walk.

It WILL get better as you do more.

My shin were really screaming at me the first week or so when I got into speedwalking.

SEV 08-29-11 04:25 PM

So glad you brought this up! I have had the same thing happen. I realized even though I can do Cathe, Insanity etc...I need to walk more. I now have been walking about 3 times a week and my shins don't hurt anymore.

Happy walking!