Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   Recipe Box (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Thanksgiving: What are VFers having for dessert? (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=206971)

PrairieGem 11-20-14 05:04 PM

Thanksgiving: What are VFers having for dessert?

This year it's just DH and me for Thanksgiving (next Thursday in the US), and we've decided to go pretty light--just our two favorite side dishes and dessert. I usually make pumpkin dump cake (basically pumpkin pie filling + a streussel topping made from cake mix and pecans. Mmmmm.) So good, but I'm the one who *really* likes it... which means I'm the one who really eats it! :D So we are interviewing alternative candidates. Top of the list is my grandmother's apple crisp.

But I'd love to hear what other VFers have on the menu. Do you have healthier favorites? Or do you say "Hang it all!" for this one weekend and go all out?

adawn 11-20-14 07:51 PM

The only pie I like is pumpkin pie so Thanksgiving is the main opportunity to eat it. I used to make it with a graham cracker crust, mainly because I'm lazy and also I prefer sugary crusts. I even made it with real pumpkin vs canned pumpkin one year but found there was no flavor difference, just a little lumpier texture.

This is the recipe I use (it is so delicious):

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/brown-familys-favorite-pumpkin-pie/

I kept meaning to experiment with the recipe to make it vegan but never did. I usually put extra of the streusel stuff on top.

We've done Thanksgiving at my sister's house the past few years though and my pie can't compete with the pies from the pie shop they go to, so I've stopped making my pie. Sadly, I can't try the fabulous pie shop pies because the crust is made with lard.

Thanksgiving I just eat side dishes and dessert. Last year someone brought store-bought cupcakes that looked good but tasted not so good. Turns out they were gluten-free. I'm sure not all gluten-free desserts taste dry and sandy, but these did.

Erica H. 11-20-14 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adawn (Post 2470490)
The only pie I like is pumpkin pie so Thanksgiving is the main opportunity to eat it. I used to make it with a graham cracker crust, mainly because I'm lazy and also I prefer sugary crusts. I even made it with real pumpkin vs canned pumpkin one year but found there was no flavor difference, just a little lumpier texture.

This is the recipe I use (it is so delicious):

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/brown-familys-favorite-pumpkin-pie/

I kept meaning to experiment with the recipe to make it vegan but never did. I usually put extra of the streusel stuff on top.

We've done Thanksgiving at my sister's house the past few years though and my pie can't compete with the pies from the pie shop they go to, so I've stopped making my pie. Sadly, I can't try the fabulous pie shop pies because the crust is made with lard.

Thanksgiving I just eat side dishes and dessert. Last year someone brought store-bought cupcakes that looked good but tasted not so good. Turns out they were gluten-free. I'm sure not all gluten-free desserts taste dry and sandy, but these did.

This looks wonderful! Thank you!

I think I am going to make apple pie (my older son's request), chocolate chip brownies (my daughter's request), and dirt (pudding/oreos/cool whip mixture - another son's request). I may make mint brownies, too. Apple crisp sounds wonderful!

bzar 11-26-14 06:32 PM

we bought pies from Costco, and in addition, i'm making some cookies. either crunchy oatmeal or brownie shortbread (brownies on the top, shortbread crust).

shoegoddess 11-26-14 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzar (Post 2472037)
we bought pies from Costco, and in addition, i'm making some cookies. either crunchy oatmeal or brownie shortbread (brownies on the top, shortbread crust).

Would love that brownie/shortbread recipe :D

PhyllisG 11-26-14 07:59 PM

Apple Crisp.! Just finished making two. I know someone else is making pumpkin pie and coconut custard pie. But Apple crisp is my favorite.

Nuggie's Auntie 11-26-14 08:31 PM

Darn, tried to post image from instagram. Didn't work. Anyway, we're having--flourless mint chocolate cake! Delectable. Dark chocolate, rich in antioxidants, only a little bit of maple syrup as sweetener, grain-free. Very rich--a little bit goes a long way.

BunnyHop 11-26-14 08:37 PM

Dessert? Knew I forgot something.

I've got some pie dough in the freezer for a quick cobbler if dad's interested.
It'll just be the two of us this year, so we're going kinda low key.

athompson10 11-26-14 08:40 PM

I get to enjoy a friend's cooking, as we're without a kitchen due to renovation. I'll have a small slice of her pumpkin pie (not my favorite pie in the world but she makes a good one).

sbh 11-26-14 08:42 PM

I'm splurging and making a Decadent Chocolate Pecan Pie. :eek: