Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   OT: Is new colonoscopy "prep" better than the old? (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=231928)

bfit 10-27-21 10:48 AM

OT: Is new colonoscopy "prep" better than the old?

I am getting a colonoscopy on Friday morning (routine). There is apparently a new "prep" procedure now where you drink less of the laxative in two short bursts instead of all day long like before. My doctor says it is "better", but I'm not sure if it is better for the doctor or better for the patient. I have a friend who had a very bad time with the prep and was sick in bed for a week from electrolyte imbalance. Does anyone have any experience? This is my second colonoscopy, but the first one was under the old, original prep method.

Erica H. 10-27-21 11:14 AM

I think it's hard to tell because people respond to the prep so differently. And it might depend on what you've eaten in the last few days and also what you're consuming the day of the prep. DH had the same prep for both of his colonoscopies and he tolerated the first one much better than the second.

How awful for your friend!

Good luck to you. The prep is no fun no matter how it's done.

Erica

donnamp 10-27-21 11:28 AM

Hi Bfit - I probably blocked this from my memory - but I think that was the prep I had - it was a prescription and I just had to drink it twice. Once at night and again in the morning before my procedure. I have nothing to compare it to, b/c that was my first colonoscopy so I never did it any other way. It did seem far less confusing though and was more straightforward. I did end up dehydrated but I think that would probably happen w/ any prep. I do believe I had instructions to drink gatorade, etc. for electrolytes.

So - in short - I guess the upside it is it a far less confusing process -than the 'old' way. But I think the end result is the same. (no pun intended!)

And I agree, everyone reacts differently and even at different times - so your friend's experience may not be a common one.

Donna

Izzy 10-27-21 11:35 AM

I never had to drink all day long, but I had to drink over a span of 4-5 hours. The more recent one two years ago had me drink for a longer period of time and less each time which I think delayed the reaction. My original preps, if I started at 4 I was done at 8 and that was that. This recent one I was told to start at 6 and went to midnight and I was up all night long thus exhausted.

I will say they always say the new way is "better" or the drink is "better." I have stopped believing them, it all taste bad as far as I am concerned.

Gams 10-27-21 11:38 AM

I had to do this last month before my surgery. The instructions were easy to follow except I had a problem drinking the second half of the prep because I was supposed to drink it the morning of my surgery and be completely finished 2 hours before I arrived at the hospital. I had to be at the hospital by 5:00 a.m. and if I had to be done with everything by 3:00 a.m., that meant drinking the second half of my prep in the muddle of the night.

My biggest problem, though, was the taste of the prep. I thought it was horrible and I haven’t been able to drink lemonade or my beloved Bai since. There is something in the flavor that reminds me of the flavor of the prep and it makes me gag.

Jeanne Marie 10-27-21 11:58 AM

I've had two colonoscopies, one at age 51 and then one last year at age 63. I don't think there was much difference between the two preps, best I can recall. Both were mixed with Gatorade, and both were horrible for me. Both made me throw up in addition to doing what they were supposed to do. I also spent hours "going."

Then there's my husband who breezed through the prep like it was no big deal. Drink it all up, go to the bathroom a couple of times, and done. :confused: Not fair! ;)

Good luck! It's definitely not the most fun thing, but also a pretty easy procedure overall. Hope you get good news! :heart:

Erica H. 10-27-21 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gams (Post 2945023)
My biggest problem, though, was the taste of the prep. I thought it was horrible and I haven’t been able to drink lemonade or my beloved Bai since. There is something in the flavor that reminds me of the flavor of the prep and it makes me gag.

I have this problem too. I've been through 5 preps and there are certain foods/drinks that make me nauseated immediately because they remind me of the preps.

Erica

CabCalloway 10-27-21 01:33 PM

I've gone thru two and my biggest gripe is that my pharmacy only carried the "lime" flavored prep which is my least favorite fruit flavor. Like green lollipops, it makes me nauseous. I'm due in 2.5 years so I hope there will be more choices then.

Waves to all
-CabC

BigBadBetty 10-27-21 04:02 PM

My mother just had hers. It was definitely not better for her! I am due for my first one next year. I am still debating doing a colonoscopy vs cologuard. My mom has had polyps in the past so cologuard is not appropriate for her. Because she had polyps, I was thinking maybe I should do a colonoscopy, but I really don't wanna. My doctor said cologuard should be sufficient.

FirmDancer 10-27-21 05:20 PM

I had my first colonoscopy about 15 years ago, so that was the original prep. Unfortunately, the "twilight" anesthesia used for a colonoscopy is delivered in soybean oil, and I am allergic to soy. So I had to have the full general anesthesia. I just remember the horrible prep, the dehydration, and then being sick for weeks from the full anesthesia. I put off getting my next colonoscopy because of all that; luckily I qualified for the cologuard test which I happily used.