Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How long did you lurk on VF before you started posting? (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=232658)

Vintage VFer 04-16-22 03:02 PM

How long did you lurk on VF before you started posting?

I probably lurked for about 6 months. Of course, it was a lot smaller then (1998) and folks put their real names.

I actually remember my very first post. It was titled, "Step Virgin." I was frustrated that I couldn't follow most step videos to save my life. I received many kind and helpful replies right away.

And, I had VFers offer to send me videos they thought I might like. I was stunned that strangers would come to my fitness rescue.

Sadly, my problem was/is mild dyslexia and I still have trouble with even the most basic step.

Happily, VF is still the home to many kind and helpful people! :heart:

fanofladyvols 04-16-22 03:45 PM

It's been so long I don't remember exactly but I am certain it was at least a year before I even registered and then probably longer before I was brave enough :D

There were some PRECIOUS VFers who took me under their wing and helped navigate me through my journey.

There are still some who do it now, LOL!

Joni O 04-16-22 03:49 PM

Probably about a minute. :D

The stats say my first post was 11/21/01, but that was after the system was changed and our start dates all became Oct 2001. I joined in the 90s.

sugar rose 04-16-22 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage VFer (Post 2962281)
Of course, it was a lot smaller then (1998) and folks put their real names.

Omigosh! I didn't know that! Why & when did people stop using their real names? Just wondering...:confused:

sherry7899 04-16-22 04:35 PM

I joined in 2003. I do not think I lurked very long. I did not know a single other person in real life who used videos so I was so happy to find this forum.

bzar 04-16-22 05:16 PM

i remember when an old version of the forum required a 1-2 day lag between when you posted and when it would show up. the mods would quarantine the posts before publishing them. this was in stark contrast to The Firm's forum (before it shut down permanently) where one would get instant gratification.

I believe i registered to VF under that version and maybe posted 1 comment after registering. never came back to read it.

Yaya's was formed when The Firm forum shut down. i stayed there for a long time, occasionally visiting VF. eventually, i left Ya's because it was hard to post and/or read anything with so many pop-ups and ads! meanwhile, i had joined the new version of the VF forum and would post to the check-in's.

Leonana 04-16-22 05:27 PM

I joined 4/14/13. I had joined the Collage forum first, and learned about VF there. I registered, but didn't post for awhile, not until I learned the Collage forum was closing. I posted on both until Collage closed, then just VF. Mary eventually opened a forum at Total Fitness to replace it, I think that was in March 2014. I'm guessing I started posting in January or February 2014. I decided to stay at VF, most of my Collage friends had moved there, and the forum was more user friendly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joni O (Post 2962285)
Probably about a minute. :D

The stats say my first post was 11/21/01, but that was after the system was changed and our start dates all became Oct 2001. I joined in the 90s.

Is that in our statistics? I checked, and I can't find it. Checking my posts made, it only goes back to August 2021.

Helen 04-16-22 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugar rose (Post 2962288)
... Why & when did people stop using their real names? ...

Some never stopped. ;)
As to the original question - no idea, but probably not long. I do recall that I joined two checkins very early on - perhaps even the same day I joined, and didn't lurk at all prior to joining - jumped right in.

rhbrand 04-16-22 06:34 PM

Gee, probably a few days.
I also joined way back in the late 90s. I know it was shortly before my youngest was born in 1998.

Vantreesta 04-16-22 07:37 PM

I started posting as soon as I joined bc Collage went down. I don't use my real name anywhere online unless it's absolutely necessary.