Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Cathe Perfect 30 Reviews (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=229673)

bubbles76 11-02-20 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigi (Post 2895911)
I've got a bit of DOMS from Perfect 30. I did MBF Week 1 Total Body Burn and started the Perfect 30 yoga but I was too dang tired and quit. I think I will like the yoga though. Another thing to note in the Perfect 30 workouts is there are no exercise demonstrations. I don't mind this as Cathe packs quite a bit of workout and exercises in 30 minutes. The more I do them the more familiar I will be. Also, with the workout blender if I wanted to, I could add an extra 5 to 10 second break.

I know I've asked this before, but what is MBF?

sherry7899 11-02-20 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbles76 (Post 2896801)

I think it is a Beachbody on demand workout. I thought someone mentioned it on here last week?

laurajhawk 11-02-20 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbles76 (Post 2896801)

Yes, it's Beachbody's Muscle Burns Fat.

angie_nrs 11-02-20 08:27 PM

Yoga

Today I did the Upper body workout again and I liked it even more knowing what to expect and which weights to choose. A solid UB workout in 30 minutes.

After I was finished with the UB workout, I did the Yoga workout. Overall, I liked it and the spine stretches were awesome after doing the UB w/o. The only part I didn't care for was the side planks with leg lifts b/c it was really tweeky on my wrists. I'll try it again, but if it's still too much on my wrists, I'll just do a regular side plank and go with that. For the most part I thought it was more of a stretch type of workout than the Yoga I'm accustomed to. It'll be a nice low energy day workout that I'm glad to have in my collection.

Lori_Michigan 11-04-20 05:27 PM

The Low Impact HIIT was actually enjoyable and quite doable in my opinion. I recognized the music from Cathe Live! (Side note: I think a lot of this workout was the recent Halloween Cathe Live perhaps?)

The Mobility Basics was kind of odd to me. I think I am spoiled by CS/Ess and the mobility work on Tracie Long's workouts. I felt this workout was a little disjointed and didn't flow as well as Tracie's mobility portions. I feel neither stretched nor strengthened by this one, and I usually feel both with Tracie's.

gigi 11-05-20 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan (Post 2897147)
The Mobility Basics was kind of odd to me. I think I am spoiled by CS/Ess and the mobility work on Tracie Long's workouts. I felt this workout was a little disjointed and didn't flow as well as Tracie's mobility portions. I feel neither stretched nor strengthened by this one, and I usually feel both with Tracie's.

I wish Tracie Long had a streaming website. I would join! I used to enjoy her workouts a lot!

Rhonda 11-05-20 07:48 AM

Quote:

The Low Impact HIIT was actually enjoyable and quite doable in my opinion. I recognized the music from Cathe Live! (Side note: I think a lot of this workout was the recent Halloween Cathe Live perhaps?)

HI Lori,
This was how I described Cathe's mobility also. I mentioned upthread. It didn't flow for me either. I have done other mobility workouts and they flow from move to move and this one didn't. If she does more in the future, hope she flows them better and they don't need to be long. I get a good mobility workout in 10 minutes.

I need to pull Tracies out again and do hers. I think I did it once and wasn't sure about it but now that I have done others I will need to do Tracie again.

Rhonda 11-05-20 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigi (Post 2897196)
I wish Tracie Long had a streaming website. I would join! I used to enjoy her workouts a lot!

Gigi, not sure if this is what your looking for but it is Tracie streaming

http://www.longtrainingstudios.com/n...p=80ac4zk8lqo8

JackieB 11-05-20 08:11 AM

Quote:

Yeah, the mobility workout didn't click at all with me. I need to try the yoga flow but I may be getting rid of this dvd.

I should know better. I am also spoiled with Essentrics.

bubbles76 11-05-20 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherry7899 (Post 2896804)
I think it is a Beachbody on demand workout. I thought someone mentioned it on here last week?

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurajhawk (Post 2896833)
Yes, it's Beachbody's Muscle Burns Fat.

Thanks! I'm sure I will forget again, so I'll tag this thread lol!

cecififi 11-05-20 08:49 AM

Today I did P30 - High Impact Hiit workout. I loved it! It was so fun, challenging and doable. Go Cathe!

owltx 11-05-20 09:22 AM

I have now been able to do every workout in Perfect 30 including the bonuses. Here are some thoughts.

Hiit I thought the Low Impact HIIT knocked it out of the park on this one. It got my heart rate up, a lot of fun moves, the repeats didn't drag and I thought the music was motivating (except for the warm-up). For me, I was wasn't as excited about the High Impact HIIT. It's possible it might grow on me. But it just wasn't there for me - definitely not on par with the STS or RWH HIITs. The pyramid bonus was okay - it didn't really get my heart rate up that much. It's possible it will be good in a premix, and I was excited that the premixes on this combined all the hiits in various ways. I missed the countdown clock and move alert on the screen with this one.

[B]Weights[B] This one definitely exceeded my expectations. I like both the upper and lower body workouts, and love the bonuses on both. Solid workouts, not too frantic of a pace and really felt the muscles on both workouts. I like the premix options on this one - the upper plus bonus combines them in a layered fashion so that you hit all moves for each body part at once, which is nice.

Mobility/Yoga For me, I agree with LoveVA:
Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveVA (Post 2895796)
Mobility/Yoga: I approach every yoga workout that is not Ultimate Yogi as something that I will probably like but not love.

So, essentially this was the case. I will say I liked the Yoga more than the Mobility, which kind of surprised me. The stretch only premix was nice, and I like the hip opener section. I did like several of the moves from the Mobility.

Overall Cathe and team were great; Cathe was her usual encouraging self and gave some good form pointers in the weights. Set was bright and cheerful (I liked the plants on the side). The bonuses are great in this series - I *adore* the core bonus. The slow pace is fantastic, and is different enough that I will definitely keep this in my rotation for add on core. I love the extended stretch - and I hope this is something she keeps doing in future DVDs. I love having that option at the end and her extended stretches are great.

tiletha444 11-05-20 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by owltx (Post 2897219)
Hiit I thought the Low Impact HIIT knocked it out of the park on this one. It got my heart rate up, a lot of fun moves, the repeats didn't drag and I thought the music was motivating (except for the warm-up).

[B]Weights[B] This one definitely exceeded my expectations. I like both the upper and lower body workouts, and love the bonuses on both.

Mobility/Yoga The stretch only premix was nice, and I like the hip opener section.

Overall I *adore* the core bonus. The slow pace is fantastic, and is different enough that I will definitely keep this in my rotation for add on core.

Thanks for the detailed review. These comments make me happy!!!:D

I'm recovering from a sinus infection, so I haven't been able to try the workouts. I previewed most of them though. I can't wait to try them!:sun:

owltx 11-05-20 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiletha444 (Post 2897246)
Thanks for the detailed review. These comments make me happy!!!:D
I'm recovering from a sinus infection, so I haven't been able to try the workouts. I previewed most of them though. I can't wait to try them!:sun:

Your welcome! I hope you feel better soon! Ugh on sinus infections.

Helen 11-05-20 04:10 PM

https://funnybizz.co/wp-content/uplo...aiting-gif.gif

Mine hit Sydney on Wednesday - hoping for a parcel when I get home today (Friday).

cataddict 11-06-20 08:37 PM

Helen,

Your post and picture made me laugh! Hope you got your DVDs today!

Mickey12 11-06-20 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cataddict (Post 2897435)
Helen,

Yes! Me too. I love Dug!

dianestjohn 11-08-20 03:41 PM

I did Upper Body yesterday and while I like the workout, think it is sorta fun and effective, having to drag out the step, band, 3, 5, 10, 12, 15, 20, 30, 35, whatever, and the fairly quick changes with the step topper on and off and then slanted and then back on and this weight and that weight....too much kerfuffle for me so I will probably give it away. I would love for Cathe (or somebody) to do a workout that, for example, starts with 20 lb dumbbells and we do back,, biceps, squats, lunges, then we take 15 lb dumbbells and do several body parts with that, etc. I guess this would not completely exhaust each muscle group all at once but I think it would be fun. And I renew my wish for Cathe to do a Firm-style AWT dvd with just 5 s or maybe 5s and 10s.

alisoncooks 11-08-20 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianestjohn (Post 2897643)
I did Upper Body yesterday and while I like the workout, think it is sorta fun and effective, having to drag out the step, band, 3, 5, 10, 12, 15, 20, 30, 35, whatever, and the fairly quick changes with the step topper on and off and then slanted and then back on and this weight and that weight....too much kerfuffle for me so I will probably give it away. I would love for Cathe (or somebody) to do a workout that, for example, starts with 20 lb dumbbells and we do back,, biceps, squats, lunges, then we take 15 lb dumbbells and do several body parts with that, etc. I guess this would not completely exhaust each muscle group all at once but I think it would be fun. And I renew my wish for Cathe to do a Firm-style AWT dvd with just 5 s or maybe 5s and 10s.

I appreciate this review. You've saved me from my interest in this workout. I'd be annoyed with such an equipment-heavy DVD.

fanofladyvols 11-08-20 05:30 PM

Quote:

....too much kerfuffle for me
Dianestjohn I LOVE your word! :D

Helen 11-09-20 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cataddict (Post 2897435)
Helen,

Monday afternoon: Just phoned to check when it might arrive - and was able to speak to a REAL PERSON! It arrived at the processing centre before 1am this morning, which is under 2 hrs drive from here, but they're still saying 1-6 business days before I get it; but I'm optimistic about tomorrow as she (Jenny, on the call) said it HAS been loaded into a truck for delivery. :D

summer breeze 11-09-20 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianestjohn (Post 2897643)

I haven't even tried my dvd yet for just this reason. Every time I look at the back cover of the dvd and see alll the equipment required I get exhausted and pick some other workout to do. I do have this problem with most of Cathe's dvds though. I guess Cathe and I just done mesh well.

Joni O 11-09-20 10:47 AM

Upper Body - Take Two!

Well, I like it now :eek: Since I wasn't using the same massive weights they were using, I did actually lift to the best of the music. And I modified to suit myself. For example, I did the 3-combo of 5# shoulders standing up instead of down on incline bench, sit up, down, up ....

I was still a little concerned about the straining and no-so-good form some were using on those first bicep curls with the huge weights. Since I wasn't using massive weights, my form was perfect. :D

Although I hate it, I'm used to them spending time back and forth moving weights around for every exercise. I just do extra stretching.

dianestjohn 11-09-20 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acey (Post 2895626)
I love Cathe - she was my first venture out into the worlds of step and strength after starting off my vidiocy with a year of nothing but Taebo. I have ALL her workouts.

However, I did 20 minutes of her High Impact and couldn't make it to the end because I could not stand the idea of doing one more burpee/squat thrust. There was just.so.many. It was like 3/4 of the the workout, supplemented by air jack after air jack after tuck jump. I wish she had thrown in some boxing moves and other cardio moves. Even mountain climbers (maybe they were there in the last 10 minutes, I dunno).

Now that I KNOW this is the case, I might someday do the workout again, mentally prepared. Maybe. I agree that it packs a good strong HIIT workout in 30 minutes; I just prefer, say, a TurboJam style HIIT for 30 minutes if I'm going to get constant variations on the same move.

I also lasted about 20 minutes with this one - too many burpees and so many moves were so fast! When I ff’d through the rest of the workout and saw more burpees and then MORE burpees I was glad I had Joni O’d it. I have higher hopes for the low impact workout.

Helen 11-09-20 11:08 PM

ChelePA 11-09-20 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianestjohn (Post 2897809)
I also lasted about 20 minutes with this one - too many burpees and so many moves were so fast! When I ff’d through the rest of the workout and saw more burpees and then MORE burpees I was glad I had Joni O’d it. I have higher hopes for the low impact workout.

Maybe if you use the premixes that do half and half of the high and low impact, you’ll like it more?

fschulman 11-10-20 08:40 AM

Quote:

I use a high step for the squat thrust and burpees. It makes a big difference.

tiletha444 11-10-20 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fschulman (Post 2897838)
I use a high step for the squat thrust and burpees. It makes a big difference.

I always forget about this! Thanks for the reminder:sun:

muggle 11-10-20 09:12 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is sick of HiiT. I also have a bee in my bonnett w/ the cheap cases.

laurajhawk 11-10-20 09:19 AM

Quote:

I'm still not sure whether I'll get around to the high impact workout, but I will say - I don't even try to keep up rep-for-rep on moves like that. :p I just do what I can.

IceQueen07 11-10-20 11:45 AM

I did the high impact one this morning. Way too many burpees/squat thrusts. I can handle maybe one set, but it seemed like almost every combo had some form of one. I did use my step to help, but I will probably not use this one again. Haven't tried the low impact one yet.

Fitstick 11-10-20 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muggle (Post 2897849)
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is sick of HiiT. I also have a bee in my bonnett w/ the cheap cases.

I’m not much into hiit either but got the dvd, haven’t opened it yet:p

I’ve been focusing more on “fun” cardio like step and kickbox. I hope Cathe comes out with something more fun the next time.

katmom 11-10-20 07:07 PM

I modified the burpees and squat thrusts by using my high step and then raising my arms over my head coming up on my toes as if I was jumping at the end of the movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsCzOdZ_kpY

Rhonda 11-11-20 07:36 AM

That is one reason why I have even looked at high impact HIIT. all the reviews say there are a ton of burpees, squat thrusts and I don't like doing them. maybe one set and that is it so this is a workout I probably will never do.

I did enjoy the low impact HIIT workout.

Joni O 11-11-20 08:01 AM

I gave the cardio DVD to a friend of mine without even opening it. Cathe cardio is too much for me these days. Knew that when I ordered the set. I've since gotten rid of the Yoga/Mobility and I don't do lower body because of my knees, so I got a somewhat decent upper body workout for the price of the set.

JackieB 11-11-20 12:02 PM

I gave away the Mobility dvd also. It's more of a workout than I want for mobility. I was hoping it would be much more relaxed like a recovery workout.

Hsim 11-11-20 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChelePA (Post 2897811)
Maybe if you use the premixes that do half and half of the high and low impact, you’ll like it more?

This! I half a**ed around with this workout a little last night. I think I will do the premix that is the second half and some of the bonus cardio. I especially did not like some of those beginning sets. There was burpees (which I can do) but then there were a lot of changes so between the up and downs and trying to see the other moves she was doing was a little too much for me. I tend to dislike workouts where a move is done a few times and then there is a change. I need more reps.

Messe 11-11-20 07:54 PM

I’m late to the Perfect 30 party. I didn’t order the cardio DVD because I never do Cathe’s cardio. Here are my impressions of the other two.

Perfect Flow: I bought this one for Mobility Basics because I thought it would complement Lauren Brooks’ mobility workouts on her Playground. It does, and I’m really glad I bought it. I’m meh so far about Yoga Strength & Flexibility (and yoga in general), but I’m sure I’ll be able to use some of the premixes.

Perfect Pump: The workouts aren’t my favorites, but I know I’ll make good use of the premixes. Someone upthread commented on the amount of equipment Cathe used in these. I’ll definitely be customizing my workouts so they won’t require so much stuff!

Fluffy stuff: I love the backdrop! And the workout clothes!

katmom 11-12-20 06:52 PM

I may be in the minority, but Perfect 30 has been great purchase for me. I enjoy all the workouts in this set.

gigi 11-15-20 08:57 PM

Now that I've done these a few times, the Perfect Pump workouts seem so rushed. I will use them on and off. I do like the Basic Mobility but I will be interested to see how often I use it. I have yet to try the yoga workouts. The "lower" not "low" impact cardio is quite good. I have not done the higher impact workouts.

I like these o.k. but I've decided they are just o.k. in my opinion. I enjoy some of her lives a lot better.