Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Sliding floor pull up variation using kettlebells (or more) for those on carpet (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=203784)

pumptmuscle 06-27-14 12:40 PM

Sliding floor pull up variation using kettlebells (or more) for those on carpet

I just finished reading sbh's post about BJ Gaddour's pull up variation on the floor. I wanted to try it but I'm on carpet so I put gliding discs under me and gave it a try but couldn't budge at all. I decided to try laying down 2 heavy kettlebells and using them to pull my body forward. That still didn't work but it gave me an excellent idea...pull the kettlebells towards you. I used my heaviest which are 70 and 62. It worked great! I'll be working out later so I didn't want to do too much but I did it 4 times and really felt it in my back after. Like BJ's version, it's basically like doing a pull up (or lat pull down) horizontally. You pull the weights in, then push them back out. What makes this better tho is that the resistance used can be varied since weights are used. Someone could increase resistance over time to build strength for a regular pull up.

What makes it even better is you can use other equipment, too. Anything you can pull along the floor then push away will work. If friction is too much of an issue, something could be put underneath the equipment, like a plastic shopping bag. This could probably be used with dumbbells, sandbags, barbells, etc. Equipment could also be put in a bag or tied together to increase weight. Sets could also be pyramided up or down by adjusting the resistance.

The only things to keep an eye on are the possible effects of friction on the equipment and also buckling of the carpet as the equipment moves. It might be best not to do this in the exact area where you mainly work out but another area of carpeting close by, maybe something near a corner.

Later on today is strength so I'm definitely going to try this out. Of course a big thanks to sbh for posting. Oh btw, here's the original article link of BJ's from her post for reference:

http://www.menshealth.com/deltafit/m...llupPowerhouse

PrairieGem 06-27-14 04:07 PM

What a smart idea!!

Looks around house for 60-70lb weighted objects and spots sleeping dog. Hmm.... :music:

FirmDancer 06-27-14 04:20 PM

Great idea! thank you

athompson10 06-27-14 04:40 PM

That's a really interesting substitute, will have to try it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrairieGem (Post 2417159)
Looks around house for 60-70lb weighted objects and spots sleeping dog. Hmm.... :music:

:D My Pilates teacher says his chaturanga is getting really good since one of his cats likes to claim the center of his yoga mat, and all poses must be done to accommodate the comfort and space requirements of the cat.

Calistro 06-27-14 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pumptmuscle (Post 2417028)
I just finished reading sbh's post about BJ Gaddour's pull up variation on the floor. I wanted to try it but I'm on carpet so I put gliding discs under me and gave it a try but couldn't budge at all. I decided to try laying down 2 heavy kettlebells and using them to pull my body forward. That still didn't work but it gave me an excellent idea...pull the kettlebells towards you. I used my heaviest which are 70 and 62. It worked great! I'll be working out later so I didn't want to do too much but I did it 4 times and really felt it in my back after. Like BJ's version, it's basically like doing a pull up (or lat pull down) horizontally. You pull the weights in, then push them back out. What makes this better tho is that the resistance used can be varied since weights are used. Someone could increase resistance over time to build strength for a regular pull up.

What makes it even better is you can use other equipment, too. Anything you can pull along the floor then push away will work. If friction is too much of an issue, something could be put underneath the equipment, like a plastic shopping bag. This could probably be used with dumbbells, sandbags, barbells, etc. Equipment could also be put in a bag or tied together to increase weight. Sets could also be pyramided up or down by adjusting the resistance.

The only things to keep an eye on are the possible effects of friction on the equipment and also buckling of the carpet as the equipment moves. It might be best not to do this in the exact area where you mainly work out but another area of carpeting close by, maybe something near a corner.

Later on today is strength so I'm definitely going to try this out. Of course a big thanks to sbh for posting. Oh btw, here's the original article link of BJ's from her post for reference:

http://www.menshealth.com/deltafit/m...llupPowerhouse

Thanks for the great idea.

I just thought that if I wanted to try it like BJ, but carpet was a problem I could purchase a transfer sliding sheet (a manual handling patient sheet) and place it under me whilst I move on the carpet. You fold them in two, and the top part slides against the bottom part. Just an idea.

The sheets look like this.

http://photos.tradeholding.com/attac..._handles_1.jpg

:)

pumptmuscle 06-27-14 09:06 PM

Welcome all and great idea Calistro! That could be excellent for sandbags cause I think the friction and surface area could make it too tough to pull otherwise.

Ok update, I worked out before and had the chance to test it out during an actual workout. One thing about kettlebells is that, since they're round, there's a small surface area actually in contact with the carpet. While it was a great exercise, I definitely wasn't pulling in 132 pounds (70 + 62). Of course, gravity also causes weight to focus downward as well, reducing the full poundage pulled.

I'm gonna try out sandbags next time to see how they do. I'll use plastic bags underneath to help with friction. If it doesn't work out, I'll look into the sheets Calistro mentioned. I've never been able to do a full pull up (oh the joys of being a pear) but hopefully, playing around with this concept may finally make it happen.

NoraKate 06-27-14 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athompson10 (Post 2417180)
That's a really interesting substitute, will have to try it.

:D My Pilates teacher says his chaturanga is getting really good since one of his cats likes to claim the center of his yoga mat, and all poses must be done to accommodate the comfort and space requirements of the cat.

bwahahahahaha!!!!!!

pets are so...helpful

and this is a great idea
thanks!

Debbie S. 06-28-14 09:34 AM

Bob, another option that I do is done in a plank position. I set a heavy kettlebell off to the side and I drag it under my body to the opposite side. It's another great way to work not only your lats, but your entire body. :)

Jane P. 06-28-14 10:00 AM

During the summer I go to a nearby park and pull myself up on the low metal bars on some of the playground equipment for a half pull up. This doesn't work during the winter, so I will try this pulling forward option then. Don't have real heavy weights or kettlebells so won't be doing that option.

pumptmuscle 06-30-14 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbie S. (Post 2417449)
Bob, another option that I do is done in a plank position. I set a heavy kettlebell off to the side and I drag it under my body to the opposite side. It's another great way to work not only your lats, but your entire body. :)

Oh that's right. Ilaria does this in one of the Atleticas. A great back and core exercise.