Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   Recipe Box (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   New Year's menu's for health and prosperity (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=232131)

buffmama 12-16-21 08:23 AM

New Year's menu's for health and prosperity

Maybe if we (and I mean I) look at these now we'll be inspired. ;). My menu will feature black eyed peas and greens. So far that's all I've got.

Vantreesta 12-29-21 01:11 PM

Hmm... I'm planning to have scrambled eggs, blueberry muffins and bacon for the first meal of 2022 so I don't think I'll be inspiring anyone for health and prosperity! :p

My mom used to make black eyed peas for NYE, but I think she was the only one who liked them in our immediate family. I love the idea of that southern tradition but I just can't do it.

fanofladyvols 12-30-21 09:22 AM

We always have a baked egg dish for breakfast that we mix up the night before and refrigerate overnight. One side has sausage and the other has bacon.

Vannie, you have inspired me to make muffins with it!

And I just can't eat black eyed peas...I'm like a 4 year old gagging whenever I try. I wish there was a different food that subbed in its place because I love the idea of the tradition.

MathTeacher 12-30-21 10:18 AM

I always have black eyed peas and fried cornbread.

Rivercat 12-30-21 12:49 PM

I've been making a vegan version of hoppin' john with greens for a few years now. Smoked paprika replaces the pork flavors.

toaster 12-30-21 02:06 PM

In our Italian family, pork was thought to be good luck, so we often had roast pork. For the past few years, I've been making a ham; I figure that's close enough. ;)

wendug 12-31-21 09:22 PM

My family always had cabbage for new year's day. I continue this tradition and will make a big pot of mountain stew tomorrow. We're supposed to get hit with a snow storm so this stew will be perfect!

AsSweetAsSugar 12-31-21 11:40 PM

I just did rice with black eye peas, potato salad (potato, carrots, onion, boiled eggs, celery ), and my SO did baked salmon, we put some pickles in the plate too, it was delicious. I like how the black eyes peas makes the rice become brownish in color. My mom always did it, with potato salad and turkey. I did vanilla cupcakes with my DD, with Oreo biscuits in powder on the top for decoration and chopped walnuts, that was another hit!

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!

Usia 01-01-22 05:20 AM

Black eyed peas and cabbage in my home for New Year's. It's my DH southern tradition for luck and money, but not one to jinx things, I've been going along with it for years. It's been working! :D

buffmama 01-02-22 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendug (Post 2951351)
My family always had cabbage for new year's day. I continue this tradition and will make a big pot of mountain stew tomorrow. We're supposed to get hit with a snow storm so this stew will be perfect!

This looks great and I have the ingredients so I will be making it this week. Thank you!