Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   Challenges and Check-ins (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Crone Cronies - That's a Bit Too Harsh. Let Me Put "LOL" at the End of It. 6/19 (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=232969)

sciencelady 06-19-22 07:57 AM

Crone Cronies - That's a Bit Too Harsh. Let Me Put "LOL" at the End of It. 6/19

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.

sciencelady 06-19-22 08:23 AM

Good morning!

Today will be a HOT one here! :sun: We're expected to get into the upper 90's and feeling like we're in the 100's - yikes! Warnings for the heat are out. I got up early and watered my plants and took a walk around the neighborhood - I am kind of getting to liking early summer mornings when everyone but the little animals and birds are still asleep, but things are bright out there. I'll probably stay inside most of the day reading a book I picked up from a little library and catching up on some recorded TV.

Yesterday was a very busy day - I got the painting of chips and worn spots done on my doors and step, I prepared and planted the flowers I got in the front bed (pulled lots of roses), I did all of my season change activities of doing all of the bed and rug laundry and flipped my mattress, and vacuumed the house. Yay!

Paula, welcome home! Sorry the allergies drove you out of your vacation spot. My leather gloves worked out well for handling the roses - hot hands, but not scratched :D. I like the built-ins I've seen in some of these senior living areas - I'm hoping to get some things done like that in my unit, but will likely be starting with a pretty blank wall. I love the shelving I have in my living room around the fireplace out to the sides of the room - no fireplace (although supposedly I could add one) in my new unit. I think I'll pass on having one in my unit, but hope they have fireplaces or fire pits on the patios and in the common areas downstairs.

Laura, hope things are going well or better at your MIL's place - glad you can escape to your SIL a bit for some mental health time for you and DH.

Waves to all!

Anita

Vantreesta 06-19-22 07:07 PM

I really admired the therapists who worked with our clients. I don't have people skills so my contributions were billing and other office stuff! Somehow I was forgetting my first job which was the same kind of thing so like 18 years in two mental health centers.

Paula, glad you made it home safely but bummer about the allergies shortening your time away!

Laura, when my MIL started showing signs of dementia she became extremely anxious and was uncomfortable being away from my FIL and being away from home. I have dealt with some serious anxiety of my own and I think it's very easy to underestimate the impact it has on a person if you haven't experienced it yourself. I have been anxious my whole life but a few years ago it got so bad that I was having panic attacks and a lot of paranoia. Hubby said either get help or we're not going on our vacation. I'm in a much better place now but have to admit, not working has a lot to do with it!

Anita, so happy to hear you won't miss your date to choose your unit. I hope you get the one you want! It's good that you know what you're looking for. I can't even begin to imagine downsizing! :eek:

Paula 06-19-22 10:28 PM

Good evening. No workout today but I got in a walk with DH.

It was a beautiful day here so we went flying. I meant to get some gardening done and some sewing done but none of that happened. There's allways tomorrow.

Anita, you're way hotter there than we are here. Our high today here was 78F. I get up about 5:30 most mornings, DH usually gets up even earlier. We love early morning, we're just morning people. Of course we go to bed earlier than most 12 year olds but that's how things roll here.
If you want the beauty of a fireplace and a little heat have you seen those electric ones. I've seen ones that are designed to put a TV on top. They can have cabinets and shelves on the sides too. They can be quite nice, I'd get one if I didn't have a fireplace.

Vantreestra, I can see anxiety increasing with age, especially is someone is beginning to experience dementia. DH and I both notice as we age that we forget things more easily and our reaction time is slowing down. It's not affecting us much now but we know these things will get worse with time. Knowing when and how much to slow down is always the trick - the mind thinks you can do all the things you used to do but the body sometimes can't deliver. I think Anita is doing the right thing setting herself up now for easier living.

sciencelady 06-20-22 06:41 AM

Good morning!

I’m doing another early morning here to get some stuff done outside and a walk in before the temps rise too much - this will be another scorcher with temps near 100F. I’ve got a tree person coming over this morning to look at my crabapple - they sprayed it for a disease this spring, but it’s still getting yellowing leaves. I’ve been decluttering another wave of materials - I’ve got a seashell collection from youth that I’ve taken out of individual labeled drawers. I’m keeping some cowries that I still have labeled and I’ve glued them into a display case, but the others I’m going to try giving to a shop that sells all sort of natural collector items. I’m not interested in selling them (even though some are valuable), but just don’t want them to go to a charity where they don’t know anything about them and don’t want them in the trash. I’m also trashing my high school yearbooks - just keeping my senior one, and some recipes my mom gave me years ago - frankly, haven’t used one in decades. If I want to look for a recipe, I use the internet, not my pile of clipped recipes. I’m not sure whether I’ll stay at home today or run some errands. Hopefully we’ll have a game of Spades this evening!

Vantreesta, I’m an introvert and enjoy being by myself, but hope to have friends that I can hang out with at the new living place when it gets built in the social areas or find a friend that would like to go on walks with me in the parks there. I recognize the homeboundness of age and that’s one reason I want to get out of my house.

Paula, we’re sharing wake up times today - 5:30 am! I’ve been enjoying my back yard and neighborhood this early! I hear you on the sleep times also - sun is still up when I get ready for bed! I’ll take a look at your fireplace suggestion - thanks!

Waves to all!

Anita

Laura S. 06-20-22 08:04 PM

Hi - Another quick drive-by. The theme cracked me up and then I remembered I found it. :D At least I'm consistent about it!

I am so ready to go home. My introvertedness is leaving me so tired with all the interaction, even though a lot of it has been good, apart from my MIL's emotional issues. Today, I went to Hobby Lobby and did some retail therapy by myself. I didn't actually spend a lot of money, but I enjoyed wandering around looking at stuff. Tomorrow will be a day of packing and bank business (the former, me; the latter, DH). They will all go together to do this business which will leave me home alone. Yay!

My sister-in-law came back from her vacation and we had a talk about her mom's emotional issues. MIL's doctor of 40 years is retiring and next month, she will see the new doctor, who is supposed to be pretty good. My SIL will bring these issues up then and see what can be done. I've told all of them that their mom is suffering and something needs to be done. I don't know what it feels like, but I know she doesn't deserve to have this go on and on. I'm going to be sure to check in with my SIL before the doctor's visit and remind her to push to have her mom evaluated for anxiety and depression and whatever else the doctor can think of. Anxiety and depression run in the family and they have gotten so used to her issues that they haven't realized how bad it has gotten. It's probably good we were here.

Paula - You're back. I didn't see your trip summary, but I'll find out after we return. It sounds like your allergies were a bummer. My sister-in-law came back from her vacation and we had a talk about her mom's emotional issues. MIL's doctor of 40 years is retiring and next month, she will see the new doctor, who is supposed to be pretty good. My SIL will bring these issues up then and see what can be done. I've told all of them that their mom is suffering and something needs to be done. I don't know what it feels like, but I know she doesn't deserve to have this go on and on. I'm going to be sure to check in with my SIL before the doctor's visit and remind her to push to have her mom evaluated for anxiety and depression and whatever else the doctor can think of. Anxiety and depression run in the family and they have gotten so used to her issues that they haven't realized how bad it has gotten. It's probably good we were here. I'm sorry you suffered from these types of issues. It has to be so hard to live it and realize when it's time to get help.

Anita - Your heat wave gets here tomorrow and especially on Wednesday, the day we drive back. We've had a couple of beautiful days after the last heat wave, but it's ending.

Vantreesta - I'm sorry you suffered from these types of issues. It has to be so hard to live it and realize when it's time to get help.

Paula 06-20-22 08:07 PM

Good evening. Workout this morning was a Yin Yoga practice with Travis Eliot and a neighborhood walk with DH.

I spent the day putzing. I got some gardening done before it got too hot, then did some sewing and baked two loaves of bran bread inside with the AC on.

Anita, I understand about the shells and the receipes. When we cleaned out DH's Mom's house after she passed away it was a struggle to decide what to keep and what to pass on to relatives, what to sell, and what to send to charity. It's a daunting task. I brought home the manila envelop of recipes she used every Christmas to make cookies. They are stained with butter and fingerprints. I've never used them, I don't really make Christmas cookies but I knew they'd wouldn't be of value to anyone else and I just couldn't toss them. One of my favorite memories of her is of her baking Christmas cookies. She made so many varieties every year and gave plates of cookies to all her friends every year. They were welcome gifts because she was a good baker. I only have my senior year Year Book too. Hope the tree guys gave you an idea what to do about your crabapple tree. I have a Lantana patio tree that constantly has black spot. I've checked at nurseries and on the internet and can't figure out what to do to get rid of it. I'm sure you'll make friends at your new place. I think because everyone will be moving in about the same time, no one will have established cliches you'll get to know your neighbors quickly. Hopefully yoou'll find some like minded folks to walk with and play cards with.

sciencelady 06-21-22 07:19 AM

Good morning!

I'm looking forward to today not being as hot as yesterday when we hit 101F! I did go out to drop off my yard waste and stop by the grocery store during the day, but I've been doing my neighborhood walks in the morning, like at 6 am! Today I'll still do a morning walk, but will drive to the other side of town for my haircut. I might stop by some stores out there also. Otherwise putzing around inside and outside today.

Laura, I've been loving your themes also! I'll be away this coming Sunday, so you may need to start the thread. We've got a Hobby Lobby here also, but I've never done business with them because of their political leanings. I'm doing some new doctor visits for my eyes as that doctor retired, I expect I'll soon be seeking a new dentist for the same reason. I hope your MIL continues to get some needed care on the emotional issue side. Get your SIL working on finding that care for her.

Paula, I tried dropping off the shells at the store, but they are only interested in rocks :( - they did suggest I contact the school district and give it to them. I did send an email to the contact email to their website and to the district supervisor - hopefully either science or art would be interested in the shells. So far I haven't heard anything back, but yesterday may have been a holiday for them (Juneteenth Day) and school is out for summer. Lots of the recipes were clippings out of boxes or lids :D, but some were typed up. I don't remember my mom making any of these baked goods, but think it was my stepfather's recipes. I haven't baked a loaf of bread from a recipe in well over ten years... Adelija loved to bake all sorts of stuff, but found her recipes online. Not having all the baking bags of ingredients keeps my kitchen much smaller. The tree guys thought the leaf yellowing in my crabapple was a normal growth pattern for that type of tree, but did find some black spot on one branch and cut that out. They'll be coming back in about two months for a good pruning of the tree. Poor squirrels will lose their superhighway path in my yard :p. I am hoping for some friendships at the co-op - that is one reason entering the established senior living places as a newbie is a bit intimidating rather than coming in as a base person to a new group.

Waves to all!

Anita

Paula 06-21-22 08:33 PM

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 15 Push (Strength) followed by Tamilee Floor Stretch.

Just did some errands and shopping today. I'm looking for an off white camp shirt and somehow can't seem to find one.

Laura, I think you and I posted at the same time yesterday - I didn't see your post. Glad you were able to get away for some retail therapy. I can't explain why but I enjoy just wandering around stores and malls by myself. I usually have a small mission like today - I want a new camp shirt - but I just enjoy the time by myself as much as shopping per se. So sorry your MIL is suffering to this extent and her family hasn't noticed - I can see how it happens though, these things can sneak up.

Anita, what a bummer the stores you showed your shells to weren't interested. I hope one of the schools wants the shells. My MIL's recipes were all cut out of magazines and labels etc. She did make these and some of them and the ones that we all liked she made every year. Obviously, I have baked bread recently. The recipes I use I've gotten off YouTube and the internet. I have printed out the recipes from links on YouTube videos and keep them in a binder. I do make them over and over. I always get a laugh from you saying you don't keep flour - I have all purpose, whole wheat, and bread flour in my kitchen all the time. I think I go through a five pound bag of each in about six weeks. Baking means you have to keep other stuff necessary for baking all the time too. Glad the crapapple tree is in good health, just needing a good pruning in the Fall.

sciencelady 06-22-22 07:49 AM

Good morning!

I'm still trying to find a home for my seashells - public school and the girl scouts have turned me down also :(. There is some sort of arts supply store in Saint Paul that I may try to give them to. My hair dresser knows the name and location and I'll get that from her.

Today is a pretty quiet day - I'll go for a walk and pull more weeds. Yesterday my drip coffee maker cup fell apart and I had lost the spring inside - couldn't find it. I went and got another spring from the hardware store to try to fix it - it works! Of course this morning I find the original spring in the dishwasher :o. I'll put back the original spring as it works better. At least I didn't have to buy another coffee maker!

Paula, My mother's recipes were mostly typed up - I wonder if my stepfather did that as he's more of the tech guy (I've never seen my mom type), but there were a few in her handwriting (plus clippings from newspapers, magazines and lids). My stepfather was a big baker also. Adelija used several youTube sites for her recipes - I do kind of miss her project days in my kitchen, but I'm still sweeping up her baking remnants :p. One reason I don't keep bags of flour in my kitchen is that they stay there for years - not 6 weeks like yours. I remember finishing up a bag a long time ago and there were lots of bugs in there! :eek: I hope your shopping for the shirt is successful. I stopped by Target and a local big gardening center to look for some hanging solar lanterns and they had nothing - I don't mind not seeing that in November, but now that it's summer, stock issues are really severe. I'll do fine without them though.

Waves to all!

Anita