Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   Challenges and Check-ins (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pilates Cross-trainers May 2021 (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=230950)

txhsmom 05-28-21 07:01 PM

Today's workouts were

Jessica Smith - 30 Minute HIIT Walk;
Caroline Sandry - Total Body Tone: Legs - 10 minutes;
Jessica Smith - 6 Mile Mix - Bonus Stretch - 5 minutes

Don't know what possessed me to pull out Jessica's 30 Day Walk videos this afternoon - too much sitting at my desk today? - but I did. I enjoyed this one. I am definitely a Debbie follower these days.

Donna - I know what you mean about the scale. I hadn't gotten on one in years when I finally decided I had to do something about my weight. I bought a Shapa scale - it doesn't give you a weight (although you can check the app to see what you weigh), but it does give you a color. It averages the last ten weigh ins, so you don't get on the scale and see that you gained 2 pounds from the day before. It has been freeing for me not to see a number every day. I'm going on over a year of weighing every day and that has helped me.

Carol

donnamp 05-29-21 07:50 AM

Hi Everyone,

Rainy day here today...not sure if an outdoor walk will happen or not...so, this morning I did:

Jenny Ford - Beginner Step Aerobics - this is a new one she posted on her channel, it isn't filmed outside, unfortunately, but it was still a nice workout. Somehow the You Tube ads got placed during the water breaks, I'm not sure if the content creators can decide where to place the ads?? But it was fine to have them placed there. She mentioned that she is offering a streaming service for $5/month on Freedom Fit. I may check it out. She alluded to there being better music in the workouts there. I really enjoy her workouts and whenever i do step I'm reminded of what a good workout it is.

Trifecta Pilates - 15 Min Pilates Abs workout. This was a nice one from Beth....

My Man Flow Yoga workout of the day was not e-mailed to me...but i found the playlist on You Tube for the 7 Day Challenge, so I'll try to fit it in later.

I'm mulling over my workout plans for June. Definitely should do more strength training, but I have to find a low dread way to get it in. Cardio/Pilates/Yoga/Fusion are really my favorites.

Carol - that sounds like a good scale, it is not very productive to see normal fluctuations - I think I will weigh in once a week...maybe Wed/Thurs I feel that now that I am of a 'certain age' I will need to keep watch over things a bit more closely....the slowing down of the metabolism and all....

But i am glad i weighed in b/c I think it refocused me a bit on perhaps what I should be doing for workouts. Since the number on the scale is fine - I need to tone up more.

Just have to find a low dread way to get it done!

Donna

fanofladyvols 05-29-21 09:51 AM

Carol that is a very interesting scale! Having to peek behind the curtain on an app may prevent getting fixated too much on the number.

Donna being or staying stronger is really what's motivating my workout choices. Yet it all blends together needing mobility stretch, etc. Trying to strike that balance is hard, lol. You do alot of variety... which is great! Maybe you sub in just 10 minutes of a strength workout at first and then do one of your preferred yoga/pilates workouts? Anyway, I am sure you will find a way :)

Today is yoga/pilates for me and then I'm going to finish up Rock bottoms on Sunday. And I'm thinking I'm going to do a week of forcing myself to do some Barre workouts and alternate with some kettlebells. This will give me time to decide what I will do as a my next rotation.

Hugs to Dana, Christine, Cheri and Brenda!

txhsmom 05-30-21 07:23 AM

Nothing but yardwork yesterday. We are supposed to get a lot of rain today - I'll believe it when I see it - and we wanted to get the yard mowed before it hit.

The Shapa scale has been really good for me - you do get a color indicator on the phone app that tells you whether you're gaining (gray), staying constant (green) or losing (blue). I've spent most of the time at teal (losing slowly) with just a few days of light gray or gray. You can use the app for food tracking, mindful eating exercises or well being exercises, but I haven't used any of those features.

Hoping to get back to one of Jessica's walks today.

Linda - Why are you forcing yourself to do barre workouts?

Donna - Strength is important, especially as we age. Just a suggestion - because I know you aren't a strength lover - maybe you do 2 strength workouts a week and the rest of the week you could do what you love. Maybe Pahla's or Jessica's strength workouts? I need to pull out Cathe's Perfect 30 Pump DVD - it's got 2 manageable strength workouts that each run 30 minutes. I'm waiting a little longer for my hamstring to become happy again. It's still not happy when I sit.

Carol

donnamp 05-30-21 07:53 AM

Hi Everyone,

Something I ate last night did not agree with me, so I slept worse than usual!
As a result, I'm a little low on energy today.

Today's workouts so far -

Ellen - Pilates Mix - this was her new workout for May on her streaming site and it is Ellen's take on Pilates - so, definitely a fusion feel.

Yesterday DD and I did manage to get our walk in - it drizzled some, but no downpour.

Today, hope to get some more walking in.....energy permitting.

Carol and Linda - thanks for those suggestions!! They are certainly good and easy to attain options and, who knows, I may come to enjoy strength training.

Hope everyone has a good day!!

Donna

Usia 05-30-21 08:55 AM

Good morning!

ePilates Overball Class 3 - 32min
WH Full Body Dumbell Workout - 27m. Karen posted it yesterday and it was another great workout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0A9b0nwB_w

Donna, I too need to focus on strength and I prefer cardio so I have to make a conscious effort to incorporate it regularly into my routine. Karen has some short strength workouts in her Strength Suite playlist that fit the bill. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...CXhZ1qMFksE2dQ

Carol, I looked at the scale you mentioned but I'm one of those people that want to see the numbers in front of me. Kind of like I prefer logging my food where I can see the micros and calories in my food rather than "points" assigned foods based on some "magic" formula. Even though years ago I lost about 25lbs on WW, I never liked the points system, and when they went to ZERO-point food, they've totally lost me. I have this older digital scale and every now and then I'm tempted to upgrade, so far I've resisted.

Linda, I'm with Carol here...why are you going to try to force yourself to do barre? Do what you like while you decide on your next rotation. I'm done with planning rotations since I never stick to them but I admit, the process of planning is almost, if not more fun, then sticking to it.

DH and I are planning to grill today and we have some awesome steaks ready. I'm looking forward to it especially that I rarely eat meat nowadays. Tomorrow I plan to go to the office to get some urgent work done.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to go to the mall and Macy's to get couple of things. I haven't been to that mall (Woodfield Mall) in well over a year and I'm itching to go even though I'm not really a big shopper.

I hope everyone has a great day! Waves to all!

fanofladyvols 05-30-21 10:18 AM

Donna I hope you're feeling better. :heart:

Carol and Dana Lol, I admit that makes no sense on it's face. Let me explain:D

I have tried so many barre workouts that I have hated. But I adore ballet so if the workout could remind me of a ballet class (not endless reps :( ), then I love it. I think I have 2-3 workouts in my collection that currently hold that honor. I can figure out pretty early on with these untried pile I need to go through to find potential gems. Hope that makes more sense!

I gravitate towards strength and there's a bit of a hurdle mentally trying to do a cardio workout (especially higher intensity.) Once I get started, I'm gucci. I am trying to include them more often so I can be ready for my hike in August. I have no problem with a moderate intensity cardio (like an Ellen) :D

Yesterday I did Ellen's Pick your level pilates and loved that workout. Paired it with The Firm Power yoga and kept that one to my level and enjoyed it as well.

txhsmom 05-31-21 07:59 AM

Sunday's workouts were

Jessica Smith - 30 Day set - Strength Interval Walk - 30 minutes
Theresa Rowe - YouTube - Leg Workout - 15 minutes

I used my 2.5 lb pounds for Jessica's interval walk and that was plenty. I could have used heavier weights for all of the exercises except for one of the shoulder exercises - that one wore me out at 2.5 lbs.

Theresa's workout was okay - I think it must have been a portion from one of her shows. It feels like it starts in the middle. No instruction to speak of.

Linda - I know that there are plenty of YouTube barre workouts that have a ballet feel to them; I just can't think of the names of them since that hasn't been my thing. Where are you hiking in August? I'm the same way as you - I gravitate towards strength and cardio is not my favorite.

Dana - I don't mind not seeing the number unless I look. The way the scale is designed I wouldn't even mind seeing the number, i.e., the average from my last ten weigh ins. I just hated getting on the scale and seeing I was up 2 or 3 pounds in one day. Very discouraging. And I hated WW's point system once they developed it to penalize you for eating certain foods. When they told me that yogurt (with sugar) was worse for me than a glazed donut, I was done.

Donna - I'm thinking about doing Pahla's week of June workouts and going from there.

Carol

donnamp 05-31-21 11:32 AM

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday DD and I went for a walk - overcast and chilly, and I also spent much of the day on the couch zoning out.

Today, so far, has been more productive! I got some things done around the house and for workouts I did:

Ellen - Stretch Sculpt & Quick Fix. Quick Fix is only available on her streaming site and is a 15 min body weight program.

Hope everyone has a good day......

Donna

fanofladyvols 05-31-21 02:44 PM

Donna sounds like you feel better! That's great!

Carol lol on yogurt being the same as a doughnut..haha. I'm hiking up Mt leconte. Supposed to be beautiful views.

Took a hike today for 3 miles total. It was labeled as difficult because of incline and switchbacks but ended up with some really nice views at the top.

Happy Memorial Day!!