Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Success Stories with Low Impact and light weights?? (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=230933)

Tugger31 04-29-21 06:33 AM

Success Stories with Low Impact and light weights??

I'd love to hear any success stories! I'm struggling with fat loss/ weight loss (and menopause). Due to health issues I can't do high impact nor can I lift heavy. Maybe my goals are just not achievable at this point??

txhsmom 04-29-21 07:29 AM

What would "success" be for you?

Carol

laurajhawk 04-29-21 08:35 AM

You mentioned fat loss/weight loss, and menopause. During perimeno I gained a lot of weight (who doesn't? rhetorical question, I know you're out there and I don't want to hear about it :D ). When I got serious about losing, my fastest loss was with Slim in 6, yoga, and walking. I didn't follow the rotation as written, I think maybe I alternated Si6 workouts with yoga, and added in dog walks (not real long). I was able to keep that up for quite a while before I got bored, because I was seeing results.

The thing with low impact and light weights, in my opinion, is - you're not gonna get good results in 30 minutes a day. The Sin6 workouts are long and they need to be. You're working at a lower intensity so you need more duration. And honestly, through my years of working out, that formula has been more effective for weight loss than anything else. I really love heavy weights and they make me stronger and shapelier, but for weight loss, I gotta go light and give it more time every day.

star117 04-29-21 09:36 AM

the other advantage is that it is less stress on the body and you do not get as hungry.

adrien_73 04-29-21 10:18 AM

I was always an intensity junkie. Now that I am 48, my joints won't allow me to do what I used to do. I am not 100% certain that I am periomenopausal, but given my age and some body changes I have experienced I assume I am...

I've switched from heavy strength and running / high impact cardio to mostly walking workouts, kickboxing and much lighter strength training. As others mentioned, my appetite has decreased substantially and I have lost about 7 lbs in a year.

I do exercise ("formally") around 90 minutes a day and try to add on as many outdoor walks as possible, even if only for 5-10 minutes. Since I have a job that requires me to sit for 10-16 hours a day, and I find that I get the best results if I move as much as possible...even if it is not intense.

ETA: Using a fitness tracker to track my caloric expenditure vs. calorie intake is an important part of the equation for me as well.

Demeris 04-29-21 10:20 AM

Without talking diet, which is HUGE for recovering from that peri/menopausal weight gain, one of the big culprits in that weight gain is cortisol. Do everything you can to manage your stress.

I've found prayer and journaling to be most helpful, along with knitting, crochet, embroidery. Anything that focuses your mind and allows you to relax, even simply enjoying being out in nature.

Several rounds of diaphragmatic breathing several times during the day will also shift your body from fight/flight to rest/digest.

Deep stretching also helps, so anything like Classical Stretch is powerful.

kat999 04-29-21 10:25 AM

I think sometimes that HIIT gets a lot of love because it's quick and supposedly "efficient," but steady-state for a longer period of time (like Si6 and similar) is easier on the body and yes, you don't get as hungry. I have had good results when I'm actively training myself to work up to a 10K of intervals of walking, light jogging, and sprinting outdoors in the warmer months and keep my at-home workouts in the AWT/steady state/long realm, maybe mixed with some yoga and barre. Right now my weight sizes are just 5, 6, and 7 lbs. when I do stuff like old FIRMs and Jari Love. But I try to jog literally as many days of the week that the weather cooperates (some weeks it's 6 days, some it's only 3) and for around 1-2 hours at a pop. I know that's not logistically feasible for everyone, but several times I've lost a lot of weight with that regime.

laurajhawk 04-29-21 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demeris (Post 2923647)
Without talking diet, which is HUGE for recovering from that peri/menopausal weight gain, one of the big culprits in that weight gain is cortisol. Do everything you can to manage your stress.

True, and that includes getting enough sleep. Shorting yourself on sleep to do longer workouts is NOT a good tradeoff (either for weight control or for general health).

Adrien mentioned tracking calories in/out and I also did that when I was making a big push to lose weight.

Jane P. 04-29-21 12:26 PM

I am not super lean, nor was I before perimenopause, but I began exercising prior to perimenopause and had no weight gain. My eating was pretty much the same. Exercise made the difference for me. I mostly did Firms at that time.

All I can say is that if your perimenopause is just beginning, work out consistently. It will help.

Lori_Michigan 04-29-21 01:23 PM

I have gained 30+ pounds since starting perimenopause, all while consistently working out with higher impact cardio, lifting weights, and doing CS. Usually an hour a day for the past 10 years. And the weight has just consistently crept up.

I'm 47 and all of this started at age 44, so it's been nearly 3 years of trying to lose this weight. I'm still cycling regularly so my hormones are still very much all over the place. I've quite literally tried everything to lose this weight (literally all in my boobs and stomach), but nothing has worked for me. It's like a freight train that I'm completely unable to stop.

But for 3 months now, I've had to cut out working out entirely because I tore my meniscus and have been reduced to just walking about 30 mins a day and CS a few times a week. My body decided for me that is was finally time to switch to lower impact and light weights. I have also been monitoring my calories via My Fitness Pal and water intake. I listen to Pahla B.'s podcast and do her weight loss youtube series.

No weight loss yet though. But I haven't net gained any either (I always gain a few pounds each month when my body tries to ovulate and then lose it after my period, so my weight fluctuates quite regularly), which is huge for me since I've been gaining weight for nearly 3 years. So for now, I'll take NOT gaining as a win.

Kitten 04-29-21 02:57 PM

I only do low impact. Leslie, Pahla, kickboxing, an occasional Body project, maybe hip hop abs if I'm feeling crazy. I got no complaints there.

Low weights have never worked for me, even doing hour long Jari's, it wasn't right for my body. You could have a completely different result.

Gemini2874 04-29-21 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tugger31 (Post 2923589)
I'd love to hear any success stories! I'm struggling with fat loss/ weight loss (and menopause). Due to health issues I can't do high impact nor can I lift heavy. Maybe my goals are just not achievable at this point??

I have now come to a place where I find ways to move my body that I enjoy (exercise dvds, horseback riding, kayaking, dancing, etc.). I work out to help my mood and to strengthen my body. I don't work out to change my body anymore. Instead, I made the radical decision to just love my body just the way it is. Good luck to you. I wish you the best!!

Lori_Michigan 04-29-21 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemini2874 (Post 2923709)
I work out to help my mood and to strengthen my body. I don't work out to change my body anymore.

This! Yes, this realization that exercising harder and longer won't do anything to move the scale for me is part of the mindset that I still struggle with (and that's even after getting injuries that I totally could have avoided if I had just really realized this!!). I have to repeat this to myself daily.

I probably should have made the down shift a few years ago when I couldn't recover anymore and was just causing my body too much stress. Case in point --I gained 10 pounds just from last summer to now even while working out heavily for 2 hours a day for 6 days a week. And I wonder why my body finally gave out...

Kitten 04-29-21 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan (Post 2923710)
This! Yes, this realization that exercising harder and longer won't do anything to move the scale for me is part of the mindset that I still struggle with (and that's even after getting injuries that I totally could have avoided if I had just really realized this!!). I have to repeat this to myself daily.

I probably should have made the down shift a few years ago when I couldn't recover anymore and was just causing my body too much stress. Case in point --I gained 10 pounds just from last summer to now even while working out heavily for 2 hours a day for 6 days a week. And I wonder why my body finally gave out...

This was my biggest takeaway after doing a month of Pahla.

My workouts should bring joy. They should not be another stressor in my life.

I cut down to 20-30 minutes when I work (they are my after work relax time) and longer on my off days. That being said - I still pick what I love.

adrien_73 04-30-21 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan (Post 2923710)
This! Yes, this realization that exercising harder and longer won't do anything to move the scale for me is part of the mindset that I still struggle with (and that's even after getting injuries that I totally could have avoided if I had just really realized this!!).

I was just coming back to make this point! I struggled with the mentality that more intensity is better, and if I'm not totally exhausted and drenched in sweat when my session is over I didn't work hard enough. I ended up with LOTS of overuse injuries...

I still have some minor aches from time-to-time but not the kind of injuries I'd suffered from over the past 5 years or so!

TinaT 04-30-21 09:19 AM

In reference to the original post, ... I haven't been able to lift heavy or do high impact for quite some time. My weight load only goes as high as 10 lb dumbells, to give you some perspective.

I have had to make a mind shift in why I do what I do. I am 56, all thing menopause, knees that don't always feel great, and now dealing with fatigue that comes and goes since Oct due to Covid. Moving in general and keeping my sense of balance and flexibility is first on my list. IF and I mean IF I loose weight by doing what I do, then it's a bonus at this point.

My husband and I want to still hike and bike this summer, so I workout to keep myself active/mobile. Lots of good stretching. My first choice of movement is my rebounder which ticks so many boxes for me.

I would look take a hard look at your goals and make sure they're realistic first and then build from there. Most importantly.. be kind to yourself. :)

Good luck and stay positive.

Jane P. 04-30-21 02:34 PM

Using light weights is a form of endurance exercise. Cardio is also a form of endurance exercise, just a different approach. I think that's the reason they're both so effective when combined.

moonbeam31 04-30-21 09:40 PM

I love everyone's input here! I love light weight low impact cardio, 4 limb style so much. I like to do 2 different 30 min workouts for variety. I agree with everyone here, I just want to stay mobile and flexible and able to hike outdoors, weighloss is just a bonus at this point.

yogapam 04-30-21 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonbeam31 (Post 2923921)
I love everyone's input here! I love light weight low impact cardio, 4 limb style so much. I like to do 2 different 30 min workouts for variety. I agree with everyone here, I just want to stay mobile and flexible and able to hike outdoors, weighloss is just a bonus at this point.

This! :)

txhsmom 05-01-21 07:46 AM

At this point in my life (I'll be 65 later this year), exercise is necessary to try to preserve my quality of life. The amount and type of exercise I'm doing doesn't affect my weight - it hasn't for probably the last 15 years or so. That's purely about my eating habits. When I lost weight last summer and fall (30+ pounds), PahlaB was my mainstay for exercise, but it wasn't about her exercises. It was 100% mindset and food intake.

Exercise keeps me happy and decreases my stiffness and pain. I recently re-subscribed to Barre3 after a long absence and am finding that it fits the bill for low impact and light weight workouts these days.

Carol

Leonana 05-01-21 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txhsmom (Post 2923961)
At this point in my life (I'll be 65 later this year), exercise is necessary to try to preserve my quality of life. The amount and type of exercise I'm doing doesn't affect my weight - it hasn't for probably the last 15 years or so. That's purely about my eating habits. When I lost weight last summer and fall (30+ pounds), PahlaB was my mainstay for exercise, but it wasn't about her exercises. It was 100% mindset and food intake.

Exercise keeps me happy and decreases my stiffness and pain. I recently re-subscribed to Barre3 after a long absence and am finding that it fits the bill for low impact and light weight workouts these days.

Carol

It's the same for me. It's all about the food intake regarding weight loss. I have to find that sweet spot, enough to relieve stress so I don't stress eat, but not so intense it makes me hungrier.

One of my main reasons for exercise is to minimize stress, anxiety, and depression. Exercise makes it manageable and I don't need medication. Part of that stress is due to aging, and exercise helps with that too. It gives me more strength, mobility and balance. I don't feel so helpless, like there is something that I can do for my health.

Another is my hearing loss. I started losing my hearing in my mid-40's. Each year I would lose more hearing. Once I started exercising regularly at age 53, my hearing loss was reduced significantly. In fact, I haven't lost any hearing in the different tones in the past few years. I kick myself that I didn't start with exercise sooner!

Unfortunately, I am losing word recognition, because my brain isn't recognizing the words as well. I'm supposed to read aloud to myself once a day, to help with that. But I keep forgetting. I can barely remember to take my medicine and do kegels regularly, lol. So many preventative things to do as we age!

I think all of this is why I'm really attached to Jessica Smith's workouts. It was her workouts that relieved financial stress, anxiety and panic attacks after I lost my dog, reduced my hearing loss, helped me lose weight and toned my muscles. I have a real emotional attachment to her workouts and her as an instructor. I know that I become defensive when she's criticized, which I try hard not to do. I'm working on it! But her workouts mean a lot to me.

Pat58 05-01-21 11:38 AM

There are some great comments in this discussion, which I'm reading intently. I'm well past meno, but now struggling with weight gain all over again from peri-old-lady-o-pause.

Some of you have commented that high intensity exercises increase your appetite. I have definitely found that to be the case. I can't do high intensity cardio anymore, but when I did, the result was usually my eating all those burned calories.

Good luck to you!

eam531 05-01-21 11:44 AM

Quote:

Carol

I'll be 66 this month. ITA with Carol. Any weight that I felt I needed to lose has come thru monitoring food intake. I am not a stress or emotional eater, and the food I eat is very healthy. But it was pretty easy to underestimate the amount of food I was eating, so I became mindful of that.

Exercise for me is about maintaining physical and emotional strength, balance, and flexibility, not weight loss.

I lost weight during the pandemic by monitoring what and how much I ate. I've been really consistent about exercise. My pandemic exercise mainstays have been old-school strength workouts (Gilad, Cory Everson), TRX body weight workouts, vintage Jane Fonda 'toning' workouts, and yoga. Walking, too. That is, no long hard workouts.

This has been very successful for me.

yogapam 05-01-21 12:54 PM

Quote:

Carol

Yes, those are my goals too! I did B3 years ago and resubscribed when they had their Black Friday discount. I love the new format, excellent instruction and always lots of variations and modifications offered. It definitely fits the bill for me makes a great combination with Essentrics & gentle yoga.

juliel 05-01-21 01:16 PM

This is a great thread and wonderful input by all. I’m 55 and I’ve never lifted heavy, but I’ve pushed my body too hard at times. Jessica’s workouts were great for me during my husband’s illness and after he died. It was just the right intensity and she was calming. I started doing Pahla’s workouts about 3 years when I started streaming tv. She grew on me especially this last year. I think it’s finally gotten through my head to find a reasonable length and intensity so I can take good care of my body as I age. I’m also continuing to work on my inner critic. I slowed down and simplified life and am grateful for what I have.

Leonana 05-01-21 06:27 PM

Julie, I’m so sorry for your loss. I’m glad you found solace in your workouts. So true that we need to find a reasonable length and intensity.

donnamp 05-01-21 06:47 PM

Sherry - I love what you said! :heart:

Julie - i'm sorry about the loss of your DH.

I find that a lot of my workouts these days have some sort of Physical Therapy element to them. I don't want to end up bed ridden or stuck in a chair the way I saw my parents and in-laws age. I have some tweaks and aches and pains and the key to keeping them at bay is to do movement that is healing and helpful. It is sometimes not easy to find that balance, but I know that it isn't super hard, super intense, or super long workouts. Those would just sideline me and cause pain.

I really enjoy a mix - outdoor walking, Pahla B, Jessica Smith, Jessica Valent, Ellen Barrett, Classical Stretch, Jenny Ford, some Leslie....and I started doing some of Caroline Jordan's workouts this week and found them to be a nice bit of Physical Therapy and traditional exercise.

I gained a few pounds during the pandemic, but that is more from snacking since the snacks are so close to my WFH desk.

I think at this point in my life (I'm 53) what I eat plays more into weight gain or loss than what I do for exercise. I mainly want to feel good and I have gotten a lot better about doing workouts that feel good as opposed to following a "plan" just for the sake of following a plan.

Donna

Leonana 05-02-21 02:03 AM

Thanks, Donna!

Pat58 05-02-21 08:25 AM

{{{Julie}}} - sending hugs. I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

juliel 05-02-21 08:44 AM

Sherry- sending hugs your way too. I read your post and my heart goes out you.
I am grateful for this community. It helps to hear your stories as we progress in life and face different challenges and unexpected changes.
I’ve been here since 1998. So hard to believe. Thank you all ��

Juliepie 05-02-21 09:53 AM

More hugs coming your way, Julie. :heart:

goldengirl 05-02-21 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonana (Post 2923995)

I think all of this is why I'm really attached to Jessica Smith's workouts. It was her workouts that relieved financial stress, anxiety and panic attacks after I lost my dog, reduced my hearing loss, helped me lose weight and toned my muscles. I have a real emotional attachment to her workouts and her as an instructor. I know that I become defensive when she's criticized, which I try hard not to do. I'm working on it! But her workouts mean a lot to me.

What workout do you use? I have never done a Jessica Smith workout but after reading your post, I think I should try them.

Diane

Leonana 05-02-21 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldengirl (Post 2924154)
What workout do you use? I have never done a Jessica Smith workout but after reading your post, I think I should try them.

Diane

All of them, lol. My favorite are the Walk Strongs, especially Walk Strong 1 and 2. Also, Get Strong, 4 Mile Power Walk and Walk On 21 Day. I also use her You Tube workouts. You could try some of them from You Tube, and see if you like her style. Just a note, but the last few videos she did was when she was newly pregnant, I believe. So they are lower in intensity. Also, she is by herself on You Tube, except for Peanut. In the dvds, she usually has other one or to other exercisers with her.

goldengirl 05-03-21 05:56 AM

Thank you. I will definitely try these.

Diane

Tugger31 05-03-21 06:25 PM

I think my favorites are her 21 Day Weight Loss 2 disc set, her Feel Good Fusion set, and Get Strong and her 4 Mile Power Walk.

Of her 3 Walk Strong sets, even though it's the easiest and maybe the least variety of workouts compared to say Walk Strong 3, I enjoy her first Walk Strong set best (the 6 week Transformation Set), then next in order is the Walk Strong 3 set. I didn't click as much with the Walk Stron 2 (though I don't believe that is the "official" name for those 3 discs)

Scorpio6 05-05-21 10:45 AM

Margaret Richards

Have you tried her workouts? Very stress relieving and if you subscribe to her streaming instead of using old DVDs the copyrights allow her to use the original music instead of something canned. She has you work the muscle to exhaustion which takes 3 minutes, she's definitely low impact and light weight. Also has a very nice Facebook group.