Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Success Stories with Low Impact and light weights?? (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=230933)

Leonana 05-01-21 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txhsmom (Post 2923961)
At this point in my life (I'll be 65 later this year), exercise is necessary to try to preserve my quality of life. The amount and type of exercise I'm doing doesn't affect my weight - it hasn't for probably the last 15 years or so. That's purely about my eating habits. When I lost weight last summer and fall (30+ pounds), PahlaB was my mainstay for exercise, but it wasn't about her exercises. It was 100% mindset and food intake.

Exercise keeps me happy and decreases my stiffness and pain. I recently re-subscribed to Barre3 after a long absence and am finding that it fits the bill for low impact and light weight workouts these days.

Carol

It's the same for me. It's all about the food intake regarding weight loss. I have to find that sweet spot, enough to relieve stress so I don't stress eat, but not so intense it makes me hungrier.

One of my main reasons for exercise is to minimize stress, anxiety, and depression. Exercise makes it manageable and I don't need medication. Part of that stress is due to aging, and exercise helps with that too. It gives me more strength, mobility and balance. I don't feel so helpless, like there is something that I can do for my health.

Another is my hearing loss. I started losing my hearing in my mid-40's. Each year I would lose more hearing. Once I started exercising regularly at age 53, my hearing loss was reduced significantly. In fact, I haven't lost any hearing in the different tones in the past few years. I kick myself that I didn't start with exercise sooner!

Unfortunately, I am losing word recognition, because my brain isn't recognizing the words as well. I'm supposed to read aloud to myself once a day, to help with that. But I keep forgetting. I can barely remember to take my medicine and do kegels regularly, lol. So many preventative things to do as we age!

I think all of this is why I'm really attached to Jessica Smith's workouts. It was her workouts that relieved financial stress, anxiety and panic attacks after I lost my dog, reduced my hearing loss, helped me lose weight and toned my muscles. I have a real emotional attachment to her workouts and her as an instructor. I know that I become defensive when she's criticized, which I try hard not to do. I'm working on it! But her workouts mean a lot to me.

Pat58 05-01-21 11:38 AM

There are some great comments in this discussion, which I'm reading intently. I'm well past meno, but now struggling with weight gain all over again from peri-old-lady-o-pause.

Some of you have commented that high intensity exercises increase your appetite. I have definitely found that to be the case. I can't do high intensity cardio anymore, but when I did, the result was usually my eating all those burned calories.

Good luck to you!

eam531 05-01-21 11:44 AM

Quote:

At this point in my life (I'll be 65 later this year), exercise is necessary to try to preserve my quality of life. The amount and type of exercise I'm doing doesn't affect my weight - it hasn't for probably the last 15 years or so. That's purely about my eating habits. When I lost weight last summer and fall (30+ pounds), PahlaB was my mainstay for exercise, but it wasn't about her exercises. It was 100% mindset and food intake.

Exercise keeps me happy and decreases my stiffness and pain. I recently re-subscribed to Barre3 after a long absence and am finding that it fits the bill for low impact and light weight workouts these days.

Carol

I'll be 66 this month. ITA with Carol. Any weight that I felt I needed to lose has come thru monitoring food intake. I am not a stress or emotional eater, and the food I eat is very healthy. But it was pretty easy to underestimate the amount of food I was eating, so I became mindful of that.

Exercise for me is about maintaining physical and emotional strength, balance, and flexibility, not weight loss.

I lost weight during the pandemic by monitoring what and how much I ate. I've been really consistent about exercise. My pandemic exercise mainstays have been old-school strength workouts (Gilad, Cory Everson), TRX body weight workouts, vintage Jane Fonda 'toning' workouts, and yoga. Walking, too. That is, no long hard workouts.

This has been very successful for me.

yogapam 05-01-21 12:54 PM

Quote:

Carol

Yes, those are my goals too! I did B3 years ago and resubscribed when they had their Black Friday discount. I love the new format, excellent instruction and always lots of variations and modifications offered. It definitely fits the bill for me makes a great combination with Essentrics & gentle yoga.

juliel 05-01-21 01:16 PM

This is a great thread and wonderful input by all. I’m 55 and I’ve never lifted heavy, but I’ve pushed my body too hard at times. Jessica’s workouts were great for me during my husband’s illness and after he died. It was just the right intensity and she was calming. I started doing Pahla’s workouts about 3 years when I started streaming tv. She grew on me especially this last year. I think it’s finally gotten through my head to find a reasonable length and intensity so I can take good care of my body as I age. I’m also continuing to work on my inner critic. I slowed down and simplified life and am grateful for what I have.

Leonana 05-01-21 06:27 PM

Julie, I’m so sorry for your loss. I’m glad you found solace in your workouts. So true that we need to find a reasonable length and intensity.

donnamp 05-01-21 06:47 PM

Sherry - I love what you said! :heart:

Julie - i'm sorry about the loss of your DH.

I find that a lot of my workouts these days have some sort of Physical Therapy element to them. I don't want to end up bed ridden or stuck in a chair the way I saw my parents and in-laws age. I have some tweaks and aches and pains and the key to keeping them at bay is to do movement that is healing and helpful. It is sometimes not easy to find that balance, but I know that it isn't super hard, super intense, or super long workouts. Those would just sideline me and cause pain.

I really enjoy a mix - outdoor walking, Pahla B, Jessica Smith, Jessica Valent, Ellen Barrett, Classical Stretch, Jenny Ford, some Leslie....and I started doing some of Caroline Jordan's workouts this week and found them to be a nice bit of Physical Therapy and traditional exercise.

I gained a few pounds during the pandemic, but that is more from snacking since the snacks are so close to my WFH desk.

I think at this point in my life (I'm 53) what I eat plays more into weight gain or loss than what I do for exercise. I mainly want to feel good and I have gotten a lot better about doing workouts that feel good as opposed to following a "plan" just for the sake of following a plan.

Donna

Leonana 05-02-21 02:03 AM

Thanks, Donna!

Pat58 05-02-21 08:25 AM

{{{Julie}}} - sending hugs. I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

juliel 05-02-21 08:44 AM

Sherry- sending hugs your way too. I read your post and my heart goes out you.
I am grateful for this community. It helps to hear your stories as we progress in life and face different challenges and unexpected changes.
I’ve been here since 1998. So hard to believe. Thank you all ��