Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Success Stories with Low Impact and light weights?? (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=230933)

Kitten 04-29-21 02:57 PM

I only do low impact. Leslie, Pahla, kickboxing, an occasional Body project, maybe hip hop abs if I'm feeling crazy. I got no complaints there.

Low weights have never worked for me, even doing hour long Jari's, it wasn't right for my body. You could have a completely different result.

Gemini2874 04-29-21 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tugger31 (Post 2923589)
I'd love to hear any success stories! I'm struggling with fat loss/ weight loss (and menopause). Due to health issues I can't do high impact nor can I lift heavy. Maybe my goals are just not achievable at this point??

I have now come to a place where I find ways to move my body that I enjoy (exercise dvds, horseback riding, kayaking, dancing, etc.). I work out to help my mood and to strengthen my body. I don't work out to change my body anymore. Instead, I made the radical decision to just love my body just the way it is. Good luck to you. I wish you the best!!

Lori_Michigan 04-29-21 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemini2874 (Post 2923709)
I work out to help my mood and to strengthen my body. I don't work out to change my body anymore.

This! Yes, this realization that exercising harder and longer won't do anything to move the scale for me is part of the mindset that I still struggle with (and that's even after getting injuries that I totally could have avoided if I had just really realized this!!). I have to repeat this to myself daily.

I probably should have made the down shift a few years ago when I couldn't recover anymore and was just causing my body too much stress. Case in point --I gained 10 pounds just from last summer to now even while working out heavily for 2 hours a day for 6 days a week. And I wonder why my body finally gave out...

Kitten 04-29-21 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan (Post 2923710)
This! Yes, this realization that exercising harder and longer won't do anything to move the scale for me is part of the mindset that I still struggle with (and that's even after getting injuries that I totally could have avoided if I had just really realized this!!). I have to repeat this to myself daily.

I probably should have made the down shift a few years ago when I couldn't recover anymore and was just causing my body too much stress. Case in point --I gained 10 pounds just from last summer to now even while working out heavily for 2 hours a day for 6 days a week. And I wonder why my body finally gave out...

This was my biggest takeaway after doing a month of Pahla.

My workouts should bring joy. They should not be another stressor in my life.

I cut down to 20-30 minutes when I work (they are my after work relax time) and longer on my off days. That being said - I still pick what I love.

adrien_73 04-30-21 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan (Post 2923710)
This! Yes, this realization that exercising harder and longer won't do anything to move the scale for me is part of the mindset that I still struggle with (and that's even after getting injuries that I totally could have avoided if I had just really realized this!!).

I was just coming back to make this point! I struggled with the mentality that more intensity is better, and if I'm not totally exhausted and drenched in sweat when my session is over I didn't work hard enough. I ended up with LOTS of overuse injuries...

I still have some minor aches from time-to-time but not the kind of injuries I'd suffered from over the past 5 years or so!

TinaT 04-30-21 09:19 AM

In reference to the original post, ... I haven't been able to lift heavy or do high impact for quite some time. My weight load only goes as high as 10 lb dumbells, to give you some perspective.

I have had to make a mind shift in why I do what I do. I am 56, all thing menopause, knees that don't always feel great, and now dealing with fatigue that comes and goes since Oct due to Covid. Moving in general and keeping my sense of balance and flexibility is first on my list. IF and I mean IF I loose weight by doing what I do, then it's a bonus at this point.

My husband and I want to still hike and bike this summer, so I workout to keep myself active/mobile. Lots of good stretching. My first choice of movement is my rebounder which ticks so many boxes for me.

I would look take a hard look at your goals and make sure they're realistic first and then build from there. Most importantly.. be kind to yourself. :)

Good luck and stay positive.

Jane P. 04-30-21 02:34 PM

Using light weights is a form of endurance exercise. Cardio is also a form of endurance exercise, just a different approach. I think that's the reason they're both so effective when combined.

moonbeam31 04-30-21 09:40 PM

I love everyone's input here! I love light weight low impact cardio, 4 limb style so much. I like to do 2 different 30 min workouts for variety. I agree with everyone here, I just want to stay mobile and flexible and able to hike outdoors, weighloss is just a bonus at this point.

yogapam 04-30-21 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonbeam31 (Post 2923921)
I love everyone's input here! I love light weight low impact cardio, 4 limb style so much. I like to do 2 different 30 min workouts for variety. I agree with everyone here, I just want to stay mobile and flexible and able to hike outdoors, weighloss is just a bonus at this point.

This! :)

txhsmom 05-01-21 07:46 AM

At this point in my life (I'll be 65 later this year), exercise is necessary to try to preserve my quality of life. The amount and type of exercise I'm doing doesn't affect my weight - it hasn't for probably the last 15 years or so. That's purely about my eating habits. When I lost weight last summer and fall (30+ pounds), PahlaB was my mainstay for exercise, but it wasn't about her exercises. It was 100% mindset and food intake.

Exercise keeps me happy and decreases my stiffness and pain. I recently re-subscribed to Barre3 after a long absence and am finding that it fits the bill for low impact and light weight workouts these days.

Carol