Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   You're Most Effective and Least Effective Exercises for your bodytype (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=210663)

Julia 05-29-15 07:29 PM

You're Most Effective and Least Effective Exercises for your bodytype

I would love to hear from everyone what individual exercises really work for you and what don't. You can put them in order (or not)... Please Share!

I'll Start...

Right now Im an apple shape some of my favorite exercises that make the most differences in my body type are...

(in no particular order)

The Pretzel (ballet)

Pilates Rollup

The Frog (pilates exercise on your back)

Pilates Mermaid

All Pilates Back Exercises

Pilates Leg Series

Bridge work (pilates, yoga and all types)

Shoulder Stand (yoga)

Pelvic Floor Exercises

Exercises that don't work for me...

Circuit training (never enough cardio for me, my 5'3 frame bulks)

Hiit using bodyweight and/or weights...again I bulk I need actual fast paced aerobic activity for that short time

The Eliptical Machine (flatt butt express!)

The pilates 100 (bulks me up)

The pilates teaser (bulks me and KILLS my back)

Sit-ups

Heavy upper body weights

and any ab exercises with weights (bulks me up)

Please Tell me about you! Share your fitness winners and any ineffective exercises that don't do much for you

kristiep 05-29-15 08:02 PM

Great thread!

Most Effective:
Curtsy lunges
Reverse crunches
Supermans
Pushups
Reverse lunges
Chair pose with reverse fly
Tricep kickbacks
All-fours leg work
Bicep curls using a 15-lb+ resistance band
HIIT
Plie squats
Jumping jacks

Least Effective:
Need to think about this. I'm tempted to put down those things I hate (like burpees and squat thrusts). They may be effective though!

mandie123 05-30-15 05:52 AM

Some that seem to be effective for me(short carry weight in middle) are very light weights for arms,any heavy seriously bulks upper body.
Clams, all fours, floor work.
CS,kb deadlifts
walking
Oh,and the dreaded planks,I had the best abs when I did hoco,but the dread factor:eek::eek

Worse for me is any heavy weight work.

Julia 05-30-15 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristiep (Post 2534956)
Great thread!

Most Effective:
Curtsy lunges
Reverse crunches
Supermans
Pushups
Reverse lunges
Chair pose with reverse fly
Tricep kickbacks
All-fours leg work
Bicep curls using a 15-lb+ resistance band
HIIT
Plie squats
Jumping jacks

Least Effective:
Need to think about this. I'm tempted to put down those things I hate (like burpees and squat thrusts). They may be effective though!

Thanks Kristip...funny I was going to add Plie squats to the list but it would've been too long...LOL
THe chair pose with reverse fly sounds intriguing...

Julia 05-30-15 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandie123 (Post 2535018)
Some that seem to be effective for me(short carry weight in middle) are very light weights for arms,any heavy seriously bulks upper body.
Clams, all fours, floor work.
CS,kb deadlifts
walking
Oh,and the dreaded planks,I had the best abs when I did hoco,but the dread factor:eek::eek

Worse for me is any heavy weight work.

Yes, yes to deadlifts lol!

I hate heavy weight work too and planks are utterly dreadful I cant say Ive been thrilled enough by them to ever keep them long enough in my workouts to notice any difference. what is hoco???

Nuggie's Auntie 05-30-15 07:20 AM

I'm a mesomorph/pear and my best are lying side hairpin, clam and deli slicer (Physique 57 moves) and pretzel, medium weight upper body work and pushups.

Worst is heavy weights and lots of impact cardio/plyometrics *I can little spurts, but not too much or I ache, and not in a good way. I also don't see great results with some very light/high rep upper body. It just feels like a waste of time. Deadlifts also don't seem to do much for me.

cherimac 05-30-15 07:29 AM

Another meso here. I'm an inverted triangle too so I keep weights lighter for upper body to balance things out. For me, the most effective is barre and pilates, a bit of yoga.

kristiep 05-30-15 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julia (Post 2535034)
Thanks Kristip...funny I was going to add Plie squats to the list but it would've been too long...LOL
THe chair pose with reverse fly sounds intriguing...

This move is in Jillian Michaels' Ripped in 30 workout 1. It gets my back my muscles just right and adds the leg work and core by doing it in a chair pose.

TinierTina 05-30-15 08:39 AM

Body Type is wayyyy out of Range

First off, a whole bunch of mesomorphs represent here ...

I am an endomorph-ectomorph ... I think my daddy had been like that, too.

As far as muscle mass, I am an easy gainer/hard-maintainer ...

I pile it on fairly fast but lose it just as quickly. And I am actually weak in the upper body, still quite strong in the lower body ... (but joint problems/costochondritis flareups/cardiovascular concerns) ... and it is easy to strain and get pain at any of my joints or chest.

So, I need gentle strength or stretch these days; but vigorous cardio, even that requiring a lot of agility within a low impact range.

Least effective for me is anything requiring heavy bodyweight strength-intensive usage.

Almost as if I had barely-controlled high blood pressure ...

bubbles76 05-30-15 03:35 PM

I am a pear, but not sure if I'm ecto-endo-meso. I don't gain muscle easily I know that :) For upper body, it appears that body weight exercises work really well for definition and strength. Once I started incorporating pushups into my regular routine, my upper body strength grew! I could actually cross the rings at the playground, a feat I have never been able to do. For lower body, it's a mix of weights and plyo to really give me definition. I love doing heavy weights, but think my body might just perfer body weight exercises quite a bit more than I previously thought.