Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   Recipe Box (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Looking for Slow Cooker recs (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=231728)

Susan H 09-10-21 04:47 PM

Looking for Slow Cooker recs

I'm wanting to replace my vintage Crock Pot (looks similar to this). I don't care about any bells and whistles. What do you like about your slow cooker and what do wish was different?

Sissy B 09-10-21 05:01 PM

I got my slow cookers from Target (and yes I have multiple since I have several sizes for different recipes) and they're all the Crock-Pot brand. The main thing I'm looking for is that the stoneware is removable and that it and the lid can go in the dishwasher. None of mine have any extra bells or whistles. You can set them on off, low, high or warm. My 4-quart is the one that is used most, but I have a smaller one for dips for parties and during football season and I have a 7-quart oval for a Low Country Shrimp Boil recipe that we make in the summer.

BunnyHop 09-10-21 05:20 PM

I have several, and the Crock Pot brand seems the best of the bunch. One's got removable Corningware, but I wish it were larger. One (I think it's a West Bend) has some kind of latching lid that you're only supposed to latch if you're taking it somewhere. (i.e., don't latch the lid while it's cooking). That one works okay, but washing the unit also washed off the labeling, so I had to experiment to see what the control settings were and put more labels on.

I also have a very small one that's only just large enough to cook a half cup of dried beans. Technically I think it's for warm dips, but I mostly use it for dried beans because it's so easy. I usually soak them over night, change the water, put them in the crock pot with a bit of seasoning and plenty of fresh water and let it run.

In recent years I've only used my larger ones for chicken broth (overnight, so easy), green boiled peanuts and a few soups. Since I got an instant pot, though, mine don't get nearly as much use as in times past.

If for some reason I needed a new one, I'd get a great big one just for making chicken broth. It's so simple to just set it up and let it simmer away. The instant pot works fine, but I do think the longer/slower cooking makes a superior broth, even if it is a bit more of a hassle to cope with the odor of cooking chicken for so long.

Erica H. 09-10-21 05:36 PM

I've had this one forever and it still works great (hope I didn't jinx it). My adult sons bought the same one and they like it too. https://hamiltonbeach.com/stay-or-go...w-cooker-33262

ETA - what I don't like is that it's hard to clean the crock part - it always seems like some weird film is there unless you do something special with it (DH does this and I don't know what he does). Also, the rubber lining takes on a weird odor and there's no on/off light. What I like about it is that it holds a lot and has lasted so long. :)

Erica

Erica H. 09-10-21 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sissy B (Post 2940514)
I got my slow cookers from Target (and yes I have multiple since I have several sizes for different recipes)

I really need to get different sizes. I only have a 6 quart, which is just too big for some recipes/what we need.

Erica

LAC 09-10-21 07:29 PM

I have a Hamilton Beach 3 in 1 slow cooker. It came with three different crocks (2, 4 & 6 quart) that you can switch out in the stainless steel base depending on what size you want to use that day. The crocks stack inside of each other for storage. No bells and whistles, just high, warm and low settings. I like being able to choose what size to use. I also like that the handles are firmly attached. I previously had a crockpot with plastic handles and one snapped off when I tried to pick it up while it was full.

Erica H. 09-10-21 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAC (Post 2940533)
I have a Hamilton Beach 3 in 1 slow cooker. It came with three different crocks (2, 4 & 6 quart) that you can switch out in the stainless steel base depending on what size you want to use that day. The crocks stack inside of each other for storage. No bells and whistles, just high, warm and low settings. I like being able to choose what size to use. I also like that the handles are firmly attached. I previously had a crockpot with plastic handles and one snapped off when I tried to pick it up while it was full.

I really like this but can't seem to find it anywhere.

Erica

LAC 09-10-21 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erica H. (Post 2940536)
I really like this but can't seem to find it anywhere.

Erica

I bought it on Amazon just a couple of years ago, but I don't see if offered there anymore. It is a really useful set up, I hope they haven't discontinued it!

ETA - I found my Amazon order details. I've had it longer than I thought - I bought it in January 2015.

bzar 09-10-21 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erica H. (Post 2940522)
I've had this one forever and it still works great (hope I didn't jinx it). My adult sons bought the same one and they like it too. https://hamiltonbeach.com/stay-or-go...w-cooker-33262

ETA - what I don't like is that it's hard to clean the crock part - it always seems like some weird film is there unless you do something special with it (DH does this and I don't know what he does). Also, the rubber lining takes on a weird odor and there's no on/off light. What I like about it is that it holds a lot and has lasted so long. :)

Erica

i have this, and it's a slightly different model that has a red on/off light (see link below). i do like that it has a high-low-warm and off setting. we had a different model years ago that didn't have an "off" setting - it was either high or low! to turn it off, you had to unplug it.

i also have that "film" that you referred to. i recently decided to try those slow cooker liners made by Reynolds company. have yet to try it, but that "film" is probably here to stay. it's not a stain or anything - i think the heat must have caused the change. it feels "rough" instead of "smooth" in the bottom where that "film" is. a few times, i rubbed a little cooking oil to get it to be "shiny" again. maybe your DH uses Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to remove it?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hamilto...?skuId=9731244

Erica H. 09-11-21 12:19 AM

[QUOTE=bzar;2940546i rubbed a little cooking oil to get it to be "shiny" again. [/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure he uses cooking oil as well. He uses that on stainless steel for fingerprints, too (I think he uses old olive oil for that). Definitely not Mr. Clean eraser - he hates those things for some reason!

Erica