Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Has Cathe modified her workouts after her surgery? (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=92593)

videofit 09-29-06 03:56 PM

Has Cathe modified her workouts after her surgery?

This is probably old news, so if you could point me in the direction of the thread, I'd appreciate it. I am addressing her appearance on the Today Show months ago with her doctor, discussing how workouts have to be modified as we age, since so many baby boomers, herself included, have injured themselves working out the same way they have since they were in their 20s. Has she put out any workouts since that time, with appropriate modifications?

mj476 09-29-06 04:14 PM

She has four new workouts about to come out and they are all advanced. She waited until she was fully recovered from her injury before filming the new workouts and she did not modify because of her injury although she usually will tell you how to modify either easier or harder in the workout. She usually has a background exerciser showing modifications. Her four new workouts are Low Impact Circuit, Drill Max, Butts and Guts and Body Max 2. If you go to her website under the blog, she gives you full descriptions of the workouts.

Flutterby 09-29-06 04:16 PM

Well, I know that she used to do all her step workouts on an eight inch platform but after CTX (I think), she went to a six inch platform. I believe this was also because of her knee surgery, but I could be wrong. However, I do follow her example if the workout has a bunch of jumps, pivots, turns, etc...I keep the platform at 6 inches, but if the workout is less complex, I'll bump the step up to 8 but no higher. I want to keep my knees surgeriless as long as possible :p!

keb's mom 09-29-06 05:04 PM

usually no modifiers

In her recent workouts she does not have anyone showing modifications that I can remember. I hope that in her new ones she will!

superfit41 09-30-06 09:19 AM

Modifications would be wonderful!!! This is the only way I can easily learn more advanced choregraghy. Charlene Prickett uses modifiers in her advanced step workouts, and it is really helpfu.

Sherry :)

Debra 09-30-06 11:23 AM

Cathe is using a modifier? That's new.

Debra

wendy2 09-30-06 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj476
She usually has a background exerciser showing modifications.

Well, not really. On rare occasions Cedie uses a lighter weight or doesn't perform an upper body strength move in quite the same way as Cathe (for example, she doesn't always use a stability ball when Cathe does in the Body Blast series.) I have never, that I recall, seen a modifier for any lower body work or for any cardio moves. Again, in rare instances Cathe will show a move and then layer on the higher impact version, but I don't think the statement quoted above is accurate... It would be nice, though!

Wendy

Kathryn 10-01-06 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj476
She usually has a background exerciser showing modifications.

I'd say she sometimes has a background exercisers showing modifications for some moves in some of her resistance workouts (and rarely in a few cardio ones, but that's because the backgrounder needed to modify).

With Cathe, I think one usually has to rely on one's own ability to modify, and not on Cathe giving other options.

Kathryn 10-01-06 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flutterby
I believe this was also because of her knee surgery, but I could be wrong.

Since she started using a 6" step way before her knee surgery, I can't see any link there.

She did start adding a bit more complex choreo to her step workouts (more turns, 180 and even 360 degree moves) as well as faster speed and/or more impact, so I think those were more the reasons for the change in step height.

She did address the question on her site, saying that she found she got just as good of a workout on 6".

mtnmom 10-01-06 10:51 AM

The only modifications I've seen are on weight workouts using alternate equipment. Cathe would have Cedie (Supersets) and Brenda (PUB) show modifications if you didn't have a stability ball. Lorraine showed non-medball modifications on the ab portion of Muscle Endurance. I've not seen any modifications on her cardio workouts (but I don't have many of her older ones).

But taking a quote directly from her blog regarding the fourth cardio segment on Drill Max, "Then you will add a piece that involves jumping onto the step. A modification is shown if you don't want to jump."

That has been the first and only time I've seen Cathe mention modifications in this set of workouts.