Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Classical Stretch/Essentrics (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=180929)

gladgirl 05-28-12 11:35 AM

Classical Stretch/Essentrics

I read the TTapp thread about results and someone mentioned they learned about CS/ BM through a ttapp trainer...and how many trainers, in fact, did stuff other than ttapp....

So...those of you who are dedicated CS/Essentrics people...and have seen body changes....are you doing just CS/Essentrics or are you adding different workouts, as well.
I read the TA threads, too, and is CS like that...in the sense of it sounds simple but does give you an amazing workout?

I am taking my training in a new direction and am interested in CS/Essentrics.

Where would I start? Which would you recommend...new to CS but do intermediate level workouts.

Those of you who have seen amazing things happen...how did your rotation look? Can you do this eveyday...a la TA?

Do you do additional cardio?
Very interested to hear from those who have seen body changes through CS, and hear about what you did....Thanks.:)

JackieB 05-28-12 02:02 PM

You should stop over at the Classical Stretch check in. Or the Barefoot and on the Mat check in.

I think that a lot of people use CS as part of their overall fitness program. Maybe as additional stretch/mobility/flexibility work or as a pain relief sort of program. Some pair it with other workouts, others use it exclusively.

I had used CS/Essentrics for years--this fall it will be two years since I have dedicated myself to doing CS daily. I was so tired of feeling beat up and my chronic back pain. I have not lost anything fitness/stamina wise and initially lost about 10 lbs doing basically CS/walking and occasional Ellen Barrett or barre. More importantly, I will do CS the rest of my life to keep me flexible and address my back pain issues.

BTW I did T-Tapp for years and was so bored and saw zero results.

Where to start? Well, that depends on your fitness level, experience and goals. Personally, I'd invest in a season or part of a season. 6 and 8 have great instruction--I love 7 b/c of the focus on the spine. You may want to look into Sahra's dvds--she has a different style than Miranda and her workouts contain less of the feel good trademark stretches--they are toning focused. I haven't received the new Essentrics yet but I have heard good comments and am excited to get them.

HTH!
Jackie

Belle de Jour 05-28-12 04:35 PM

I have used both Classical Stretch and Essentrics exclusively for periods throughout the past couple of years. I normally get thicker with weight workouts--these are the only workouts that have slimmed down my limbs. I definitely find them to be enough of a workout.

gladgirl 05-29-12 10:42 AM

Thanks, ladies. I am interested in improving flexibility, range of motion, and keeping my intermediate fitness level. I do not have time to include this with other workouts each day, so was curious if as a stand alone it was enough of a workout. I, too, would include walking for cardio. I like that CS helped you be lean...wow, nice. So, is there a cardio effect with these or is it mainly, toning type, stretching type of work...
Is there floor work? :)

daisysunshine 05-29-12 11:16 AM

Yes there is floor work :)
when I get the money, I am 100 percent going to start getting the instructor dvds, and be certified in teaching it. (I Would also get my Leslie walk group certification but that is WAY too expensive).

NotThatGirl 05-29-12 11:29 AM

I'm really curious about the certification too. I have to finish some other school stuff first though. I am curious, after you get your certification in teaching it from them, where are you planning on teaching it? How exactly does that work? Obviously you can go anywhere with a yoga certification but with essentrics, where do you go to teach it? I hope this doesn't sound dumb but I'm interested in it. Essentrics is definitely something that people don't know too much about here. We barely even have yoga studios and one place to do pilates! Any info would be much appreciated! :)

daisysunshine 05-29-12 11:57 AM

I would probably hit up my local Y, or advertise for "yoga/pilates based stretching" or something for private lessons (if that was allowed).

NotThatGirl 05-29-12 12:02 PM

That's a really good idea, I guess I never thought of advertising the idea of private lessons or just seeing if there was some place I could teach the classes. While I have always been interested in getting some sort of fitness certification, I don't know if I really see myself as being a good teacher. I've never had a desire to teach but I love working out and healthy things like that. You'll probably get to the certification long before I will, I'm interested in how it goes. Keep us posted? Good luck on it too when your ready. Thanks again!

daisysunshine 05-29-12 12:07 PM

oho - it won't be for a LONG time. :) I did the math and it's about 600ish or so dollars. I will probably do it when I get a permanent job (or get a long existing contract). (I think even without "teaching it) it will be good to have it so i'll have a more solid foundation in my own workouts.

Belle de Jour 05-29-12 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gladgirl (Post 2042449)
Thanks, ladies. I am interested in improving flexibility, range of motion, and keeping my intermediate fitness level. I do not have time to include this with other workouts each day, so was curious if as a stand alone it was enough of a workout. I, too, would include walking for cardio. I like that CS helped you be lean...wow, nice. So, is there a cardio effect with these or is it mainly, toning type, stretching type of work...
Is there floor work? :)

I do find there to be a cardio element (about the intensity level of walking), particularly with the standing "trademark" exercises. Those are the side lunges with side bends, etc.

Prior to CS/Essentrics, I did a lot of KCM, Tonique, etc. Not very long ago, I pulled out one of the Tonique DVDs and I did not find it to be any harder than I remember--in fact, my muscles did not fatigue as quickly during the lunges. I would definitely say Essentrics helped me maintain my strength, and probably enhanced it a little.

Have you tried any of the YouTube clips? They are under Essentrics Workout. They're not very complete as compared to the DVDs, but they would give you a very good idea of what the workouts are like.