Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The latest high impact craze - Did Insanity cause it? (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=154199)

FitBoop 09-16-10 01:20 AM

The latest high impact craze - Did Insanity cause it?

I've noticed that ever since Insanity, there are lots of new DVD workouts being released that have very high impact floor aerobics. There seem to be a lot of bootcamp-style moves incorporated into these workouts. Even though these kinds of workouts existed before Insanity, it seems like everyone is coming out with some version of Insanity-like workouts.

Do you think Insanity started a new trend?

How do you feel about these super-high impact workouts with lots of plyo and anaerobic intervals (short, intense bursts that bring you to fatigue)?

Which of the new super-high impact workouts do you like or dislike?

My opinion:

I think Insanity started the trend.

I like plyo and jumping, but don't like quickly going up and down from the floor (it makes me feel sick). I enjoy the challenge of Hiit (high intensity interval training) workouts, feel like I am increasing my endurance, and feel like I am burning lots of calories. I worry, however, that doing too much impact will eventually take a toll on my knees or cause some other injury.

I like Turbo Fire Hiit workouts.

adrien_73 09-16-10 05:42 AM

I've always loved high impact, until recently...

I have a knee injury that is seriously limiting the amount of cardio I can do. Overuse in general (including high impact cardio, running, strength training and kbells and more...) caused it. Ortho doc says only walking for cardio and no lunges. :( After doing intense, HIIT workouts for so long, it is very difficult for me to find workouts that get me in my cardio zone without high impact. I am already starting to gain weight.:mad:

I am not sure that Insanity exclusively caused the trend, since there was a spike in HIIT at that same time. I think Insanity influenced the craze we see now, but I think it was just publicizing and zeroing in on a fitness trend that was already starting to surface.

Personally, I don't like HIIT for the reason mentioned above...it has made my level of cardio endurance so high that the lower intensity workouts do nothing for me. I can only get to 60-65% of my max HR when I power walk on a 0% incline! Doc says not to add hills/incline so this just isn't enough for me. :( HIIT can be really hard on your joints (I know from experience!) so it doesn't seem like something I can do regularly without risking injury.

I prefer the kettlebell trend since it combines strength and cardio with a lot less impact on my joints. :love:

stacy4ft9 09-16-10 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrien_73 (Post 1632378)
I am not sure that Insanity exclusively caused the trend, since there was a spike in HIIT at that same time. I think Insanity influenced the craze we see now, but I think it was just publicizing and zeroing in on a fitness trend that was already starting to surface.

Personally, I don't like HIIT...

I agree!

Lucky Star 09-16-10 06:00 AM

I think the Beachbody people in particular are clever and do their research very carefully, and they know all about how and when to release products. The HIIT/super-high energy products had been building in intensity & popularity so Insanity came at the right time to crest the wave, that's for sure.
Quote:

Originally Posted by FitBoop
How do you feel about these super-high impact workouts with lots of plyo and anaerobic intervals (short, intense bursts that bring you to fatigue)?

I'm NOT an intensity addict and avoid puke-in-a-bucket workouts like the plague, so can only take this kind of activity in short, carefully measured doses. KCM's workouts are about the most advanced I care to use at this time. I like feeling great and energized after my workouts, not weak and exhausted. I'm also not interested in building super-high cardio endurance; plain old progressive improvement - as well as avoiding injury - is good enough for me. :)

susan p 09-16-10 06:52 AM

The first interval workouts that featured a lot of impact/plyo for the sake of interval intensity were Imax and Intense Moves. 10 years ago at VF the discussion was albout which of the two was harder/better. I think Insanity hit the trend at an already high point and was key to sending it into the stratosphere, but I don't think Insanity caused the trend, it RODE the trend, and drove it to new heights.

I think the high impact/plyo/anaerobic burst workouts are great but I have to say, I think people are overdoing them, and we'll probably have a backlash just like the backlash against the high-impact aerobics of the 80s, with all sorts of injuries de-legitimizing the trend in the end. I don't think people can maintain doing those kinds of workouts 3-6 days a week without some consequences. I hope I am wrong, but we'll see what we're talking about here at VF in 10 more years....

I don't have TurboFire or Insanity, but I do like Cathe's STS Cardio HIIT workouts. HIIT (generally) is not my favorite form of cardio training, but I don't hate it like I did at one time; I've learned to appreciate the endorphin rush and the cardio improvements.

beatchica 09-16-10 06:54 AM

FitBoop I have thought about this as well, nice point. I too think the fitness market seems to follow whatever trend BB sets forward.

Lucky Star and Susan P, ITA!

Adrien_73, sorry about your knee, I have been where you are. What I did was watch my diet and sleep like a hawk. Sleep (as well as stress) have a huge impact on weight gain. If you can't workout, the next best thing I have found is eating clean and getting enough rest. Post injury, I have found that it is intensity, not high impact that keeps me in shape and feeling good.
I now am a big believer that you do not need impact, but simply intensity to stay fit.

I now perform low impact, light weight exercises with intensity (think anything KCM and watch the modifier). While your knee heals you might want to try working out on a heavy bag or what I do is very focused, with a lot of intent, shadow boxing.

When walking you can increase the intensity by getting you arms and hands involved, I will swing my arms, raise them over my head and pump them, this looks silly but it really helps gt the heart right up. :)

saffron 09-16-10 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beatchica (Post 1632401)
FitBoob I have thought about this as well, nice point.

... wish I had some of those - my boobs are quite lazy:p

susan p 09-16-10 07:25 AM

Ooh, another intensity hint for Adrien, add in cross-body jabs when you're walking on the dreadmill. You can really up the cardio intensity plus what an ab blaster it is!

Lucky Star 09-16-10 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beatchica
FitBoob I have thought about this as well, nice point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saffron (Post 1632408)
... wish I had some of those - my boobs are quite lazy:p

Yeah but I'd rather have FitBoobs - two would be nicer than just one. :p :D

Beatchica, I have really been appreciating your experience and wisdom and read/follow your posts quite avidly. :sun:

adrien_73 09-16-10 07:47 AM

beatchica & susan p,

Thank you for your advice! I really appreciate it. I have been adding light weights and some punches to my walks. When I am outdoors, I get some strange looks from those driving by!!!!

I have been doing this so much that I am starting to get shoulder strain. :mad: I have tried my spin bike but that seems to bother my knee too.

I have a history of overuse from back when I was a step instructor. I guess it is catching up to me earlier than I anticipated. :(