Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Metashred (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=219597)

rcmims 04-25-17 09:48 PM

Metashred

Hi, could anyone give their thoughts, and results from the metashred extreme set. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
rcmims

adrien_73 04-26-17 07:23 AM

I completed 5 rounds (10 weeks) and I LOVED it!!!! I have been exercising regularly for 26 years and have never been able to stick with a rotation, so that is a big accomplishment for me. I will add that I did not do the "finishers" at the end of each workout.

I cannot give a lot of detail because I haven't done it in several weeks, but the routines are very well structured and varried from week to week. I like the use of the bands and that it combined traditional dumbell work, band work and cardio.

In contrast, completing this system motivated me to try a Hammer & Chisel rotation. These have way too much leg and shoulder work, and as prescribed I felt were too many consecutive strength days. After 2 weeks I messed up my shoulder so badly I have not been able to lift for two weeks and am still in pain.

Metashred Extreme felt challenging and I did get DOMS from several routines but I never felt overworked. There were some routines I looked forward to more than others, but overall I liked them all & DBF said he could tell it was working and I looked great! ...and that's what really counts! :D

ETA: I should mention that I did add in extra cardio, mostly Leslies, rebounding or spinning for 30 min. after each session & hour long sessions on off days.

Sancho 04-26-17 07:53 AM

I did an extended version where I added in a cardio day between each Metashred day. I think I ended up doing each workout twice and then I lost interest. I liked them on the first go round. Liked them less but still liked them on the second go round but other workouts (mostly Cathe and Cathe Live) were more appealing and I haven't gone back to Metashred.

I was not a fan of his sense of humor. I like Sean T and Tony Horton, but he crossed a line into creepy for me.

The workouts are challenging but not killer. It's been about a month, so I don't remember anything specific.

rcmims 04-26-17 10:43 AM

Thank you everyone for comments. I just wonder the workouts are worth the price.
Thank you! rcmims

Pratima 04-26-17 01:21 PM

Adrien, did you use those occlusion bands? I'm totally weirded out by the idea of them.

adrien_73 04-26-17 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pratima (Post 2708292)
Adrien, did you use those occlusion bands? I'm totally weirded out by the idea of them.

Hi Pratima!

No, those were only used in the "Finishers". They are only 10 min. segments so I did not feel guilty skipping them! :)

AsSweetAsSugar 04-27-17 12:38 PM

Adrien, wow 16 weeks, that's awesome! And congrats for sticking that long to the rotation. The longest I've done are 12 weeks, and by week 10th I start to feel anxious about to finish it :o I'm sorry about your shoulder injury, that sucks, and I hope you'll recover soon. I've the Hammer and Chisel set and thought the rotation didn't look like enough recovery days, plus most of the workouts are total body with weights, they do look great though; now, I'm a bit scared as I've a wonky shoulder I've injured a couple of years back.

Rcmims, I can't add anything to the Metashred Extreme set, just wanted to mention that if you order from the rodale store, you can apply the "customer25" code to get 25% off.

Pratima 04-27-17 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrien_73 (Post 2708312)
Hi Pratima!

No, those were only used in the "Finishers". They are only 10 min. segments so I did not feel guilty skipping them! :)

Now you have me thinking I should order both! I didn't like Deltafit though, felt like it didn't make good use of time. Are these very similar to it?

adrien_73 04-27-17 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar (Post 2708539)
Adrien, wow 16 weeks, that's awesome! And congrats for sticking that long to the rotation. The longest I've done are 12 weeks, and by week 10th I start to feel anxious about to finish it :o I'm sorry about your shoulder injury, that sucks, and I hope you'll recover soon. I've the Hammer and Chisel set and thought the rotation didn't look like enough recovery days, plus most of the workouts are total body with weights, they do look great though; now, I'm a bit scared as I've a wonky shoulder I've injured a couple of years back.

Hi Sugar!

You just made me realize I was mistaken! I forgot that each cycle was TWO weeks, so it was 5 cycles for 10 weeks total, not 16! :o

I do like the H&C workouts. It just seems like excessive lower body, shoulders and back; very little bi's & tri's. I may try again someday with a LOT of modifications, or just do the Chisel without the Hammer! :)

adrien_73 04-27-17 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pratima (Post 2708542)
Now you have me thinking I should order both! I didn't like Deltafit though, felt like it didn't make good use of time. Are these very similar to it?

I didn't click with Delta Fit, though I don't remember much about it! From what I recall, MSE feels more efficient to me.

I believe the two "cardio" workouts in MSE didn't feel as intense to me as the others. The rest of the workouts always made me feel thoroughly worked out but not wiped out. They are structured differently so some feel more challenging than others. (I have had to back off intensity a bit in the last few years due to overuse injuries, but would probably be considered high intermediate...?) To me, the warm-ups with the bands felt like they recruited more muscle than I am accustomed to in a warmup, so even those felt efficient to me. I would do my own cool down/stretch in place of the finishers. I believe the finishers were intended to be a cool down.

I should mention too that the "metasets" (cardio intervals) between each strength set are repeated throughout the entire workout. I would mix them up a bit by alternating with jumping on my rebounder, using my Simply Fit board, or mini stepper. (each workout I would pick a different cardio to alternate with what was performed in the DVD). The metasets are very short too (1 minute?) so I would continue cardio during the 'break' while he explains then next move. (The breaks in the DVD are very short as well!)

Hope this helps!