Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Do you ever feel embarrassed when working out in front of the TV? (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=31174)

Vispateresa 06-23-03 11:36 AM

Do you ever feel embarrassed when working out in front of the TV?

I am new to videofitness and I hate gyms, since I'm afraid of finding myself among super-slim, super-sculpted girls (I am very overweight and uncoordinated).

At the same time I feel a bit embarrassed when I work out in front of the TV and my mum or my little niece watch me... probably because videofitness is not as popular in Italy as in the States....

Does it happen to you too?

tlatrice 06-23-03 11:41 AM

I feel embarrassed if someone is there while I'm working out. I work out in the gym on my job (they have a TV/VCR combo available for employees) and people always seem to want to watch the video while I'm working out, even if they don't actuall want to DO it with me, which I find somewhat intrusive. I'm thinking "How would you like it if I watched while you ran on the treadmill or worked out with your weights? GET A LIFE!" But I just try to ignore it and just chug along.

Debs 06-23-03 11:44 AM

I am not embarrassed to work out at home in front of the TV, BUT I do not like to be watched while working out. I'm sure its relative rarity in Italy adds to that feeling of discomfort, since you're doing something that may seem unusual or weird to others.

I think the general lack of respect for women who work out in their own homes is a part of the problem. I sometimes think of telling people I have a home gym and leave it at that, since there is so much misconception about working out with videos.

Kathryn 06-23-03 11:53 AM

I definitely wouldn't want other people watching me while I work out (working out is NOT a spectator sport). I'm too self-conscious about physical activity in front of others (bad memories from gym class!) to not have it throw me. I think I'd not only be embarassed, but it might make me not put so much iinto the workout.

Yesterday, I was doing a Slim Series workout, when I kind of had an "out of body" experience. I have a mirror (door-mount type) that I keep in my workout area so I can check form, etc., and I caught sight of myself doing one of the cardio moves. For a second, the thought crossed my mind that this was a pretty weird thing to be doing!

DD1 06-23-03 11:57 AM

Quote:

I work out in the gym on my job (they have a TV/VCR combo available for employees) and people always seem to want to watch the video while I'm working out, even if they don't actuall want to DO it with me, which I find somewhat intrusive. I'm thinking "How would you like it if I watched while you ran on the treadmill or worked out with your weights? GET A LIFE!"
WOW - I would NEVER be able to work out in conditions like that! Tamara you are one brave soul! That would drive me NUTS!

I'm not embarassed but I'd rather people not watch. But if someone sees me - whatever, I don't get too concerned!

We have a brand of gyms here that are for females only - and are basically all glass. I know of men who park their cars in the parking lot and eat their lunches watching women work out. So I'd rather be at home!

Dee

seriellen 06-23-03 12:01 PM

I don't let anyone watch me doing a video unless they want to join me! Even then I am selective of who I will work out with. I have given up on taking classes at a gym because I feel that I am always three steps behind, then I am worried about people watching. I will do kickboxing in a club because the moves are not very complex, and they are repetitive (I also enjoy working out with a bag, which is something that I can't do at home). I prefer doing my cardio at the gym. The machines make it very hard to mess up. At my gym the super sculpted girls are rare. The majority are heavier women ( I belong to a female only gym).

Sam 06-23-03 12:03 PM

Certain Moves, More Than Others

There are certain moves in videos that sometimes make me think, "What if my neighbors looked in the window right now?"

But then I shrug it off and tell myself that they are much stranger for peeking in someone's window than I am for doing a bow stretch to a Slim Series video. Wouldn't it be funny if one of the uninitiated saw my DH and I doing some of these together??? We're both lying face down on the floor, reaching back to grab our own ankles, stretching up and balancing precariously on our stomachs. They might think we were just a little off.

Anyway, my advice is ignore what others might be thinking and do what is right for YOU! You're the one that lives in your body and you are the one that benefits from exercising at home. Some day, they too will become enlightened like all of us! ;-)

And for those that posted about those annoying oglers that enjoy watching others exercise, I'm right there with you. I'm the kind of gal who'd probably give them a nasty look and ask "What are you looking at?"

LHMerritt 06-23-03 12:04 PM

It's really awkward

When I have out of town visitors, they seemed to want to sit and watch the show. I always feel very uncomfortable. Since we moved I can now go in my exercise room and CLOSE the DOOR :D

Loretta

gxm17 06-23-03 12:13 PM

i had mentioned the "watchers" in the i'm not a prude, but thread. and they really bug me which is why i prefer either an all-female environment or, better yet, the privacy of my home. i can (and sometimes do) workout in a co-ed environment but the watchers definitely make me uncomfortable. i usually stare them down but that doesn't always work. one of these days i may even get enough nerve to ask: am i wearing something of yours?

i like to workout at home and don't feel embarassed at all but i am uncomfortable if someone is loitering, even my husband. i specifically moved my video station to the bedroom so i could get maximum privacy. with a teenage son and a husband who runs a recording studio out of the basement, we get a lot of people coming and going. an exercise room with a door is definitely a requirement for me.

Lawgal 06-23-03 12:18 PM

I HATE it when people watch me working out, too! Once in a while especially when I'm thinner, I don't mind because I show them I can do it and they can't. Now I'm about 15 pounds overweight from the pregnancy, I feel more self-conscious. The only person I love watching me working out is my son. He copies off me and we both laugh hard. But adults, I want to kick them in their butts and tell them to get the f**k out. :D But what can you do? :rolleyes: Oftentimes they watch in awe because THEY CAN'T DO IT or DON'T HAVE THE WILLPOWER LIKE WE DO. Think about that. ;)