Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   I injured myself doing Bar Method - should I quit? (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=227116)

bfit 10-28-19 10:46 PM

I injured myself doing Bar Method - should I quit?

I wrote a few weeks ago to this forum about how much I was enjoying Bar Method classes at a studio. Well, now I have a sore tendon (which is getting better) in one of my big toes, and I think it's from standing on my tip toes barefoot in the classes. There is one instructor in particular who is really "strict" about standing high up on your toes, and she comes over and shoves her foot under the back and bottom of your foot to force your toes up higher. I can handle an inch or so of elevation, but being a lot higher than that really stresses my feet. It was right after she did that in a class that I noticed this injury. I'm undecided on what to do about the classes once I recover. Would the exercises be effective if I'm not on my toes? Should I explain to the instructors why I don't want to be high on my toes? Should I talk to this particular instructor who I think caused my injury? I was really getting a lot out of the classes, but I don't want to get injured again.

topfitmama 10-29-19 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfit (Post 2845086)
There is one instructor in particular who is really "strict" about standing high up on your toes, and she comes over and shoves her foot under the back and bottom of your foot to force your toes up higher. I can handle an inch or so of elevation, but being a lot higher than that really stresses my feet. It was right after she did that in a class that I noticed this injury.

:eek: I can't believe an instructor did that to you.

bzar 10-29-19 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topfitmama (Post 2845090)

me too. i think she caused it.

lizr 10-29-19 05:51 AM

yikes! I have arthritis in both big toes so I have to modify a lot of those postures. I had a discount on a month of bar method streaming but I think I will pass.

I'm sorry that happened to you- I wouldn't continue.

Joni O 10-29-19 06:56 AM

I think you should talk to the instructor, tell her you need to modify - and to stay away from you. I think the manager should also know about this harmful instructor. Even though you probably signed a waiver, the club is still responsible for your safety. You didn’t injure yourself she injured you.

Lannette 10-29-19 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topfitmama (Post 2845090)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzar (Post 2845092)
me too. i think she caused it.

This was my first thought as well. I would consider filing a complaint with their manager. I’d also avoid that instructor if you do return. When you file a complaint you might ask if there’s an instructor who is trained to help clients with modifications.

No instructor should touch a client without asking for permission! 99.9% of adjustments can be done by describing the change in the client’s form that needs to happen. Clients tend to internalize and remember verbal corrections better because they have to physically figure it out. For the other 0.1% it only takes a second to ask if a hands on adjustment is ok.

alisoncooks 10-29-19 07:17 AM

If BM was working for you and you were enjoying it, I'd return. However, I'd certainly modify (yes, it'll still be effective), and I would hesitate before attending that instructor's class. I'm pretty non-confrontational but I think someone should know what happened, either the manager or bringing it directly to that instructor.

bubbles76 10-29-19 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joni O (Post 2845103)
I think you should talk to the instructor, tell her you need to modify - and to stay away from you. I think the manager should also know about this harmful instructor. Even though you probably signed a waiver, the club is still responsible for your safety. You didn’t injure yourself she injured you.

This. I know in my yoga class, the first thing the instructor does is ask if anyone has injuries or limitations. I find it very poor practice that the BM studio instructor didn't do the same. Or if they did, and you let them know of your limitations, it's even worse that the instructor chose to ignore them.

starbelly 10-29-19 10:43 AM

Any good teacher training should guide instructors to ask before touching/adjusting a student. You should absolutely report this to management -- injuring students is not good for business! Please do not accept it as normal or acceptable teaching behavior and you should not stop something you enjoy because of a bad teacher. Your participation in a class is your decision and it is not up to a "strict" teacher to decide how far/deep you go in a class.

After a rather debilitating shoulder injury caused by an overly emphatic adjustment at a yoga retreat (she did not ask before twisting my arm in down dog), I am considering making a button or shirt that says "ask before adjusting" to wear to class.

bubbles76 10-29-19 10:45 AM

Also, if you don't report it or talk to the instructor, she may think her behavior is okay and may wind up injuring someone else.