Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Workout you used to love, now hate? (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=232006)

alisoncooks 11-15-21 09:31 AM

Workout you used to love, now hate?

Oh man, I used to have a steadfast and undying love for the Bar Method. Change Your Body and Accelerated Workout did *great* things for my body when my kids were toddlers (around 2009). Lost 20 pounds without even touching my diet. They were the mainstay of my workout regimen for a few years.

Today, struggling with a sore wrist, I decided to take a break from the heavyish lifting with Kaleigh Cohen and pull out the ol’ BM CYB dvd.

Oh my word. I HATED it. Every other word out of Burr’s mouth is about how “this move tapers the thighs” or this will “make you look great in jeans” or “you’re gonna go down two pants sizes.” I avoid that sort of talk, especially working out in front of my young girls….but the thing is, I don’t remember it being that bad. Maybe I’m just used to more…affirming (?)…workouts now, that tell me I’m gonna get strong and be better prepared for my daily life. Idk.

So…what workout did you used to love, that you’ve tried after many years and now hate?

kat999 11-15-21 11:51 AM

I used to be super into Ali McGraw's Yoga Mind & Body back in the '90s when it came out. The last time I did it, it felt very blah and basic. I think I've just done so much yoga since then--both with better videos and studio classes--that I couldn't really recall what I thought was so special about it. It wasn't all that hard or anything, but the pace was just glacial, and it didn't seem to have a particular physical focus, difficulty level, or yoga style, other than being very visually pretty and having good music. I still have my VHS copy, but mostly out of nostalgia and not because it's a good yoga workout.

There've been a few videos I've donated or sold because I just felt blah about them. Mandy Ingbar's Yogalosophy used to seem edgy and cool, but like the above, there wasn't a lot of specificity to its style. I ditched a Jackie Warner workout because it was so very basic circuit quasi-HIIT that Jillian Michaels does a lot better and less boringly.

Others are things I used to regularly check out of libraries or rent via Netflix when they still had discs but I grew to find them dumb or not very effective. Mostly the entire "of steel" series, early versions of Tae-Bo, Donna Richardson stuff, Denise Austin stuff, things that in retrospect were just honestly too easy or unfocused.

Oh, and I used to have a Cathy low-impact HIIT that at first I liked but I found I got annoyed with its segment using Dixie cups as markers. It seemed fussy. I eventually donated it.

anetta 11-15-21 12:41 PM

I don't really hate them but I am over the Firm-can't believe I would ever say this, still think they are great workouts and love the music but tried to do one the other day-no interest at all:D

Anita

Joni O 11-15-21 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anetta (Post 2946941)
I don't really hate them but I am over the Firm-can't believe I would ever say this, still think they are great workouts and love the music but tried to do one the other day-no interest at all:D

Anita

I'm getting there. I just don't prefer their format anymore. I like completely working a body part or two and then moving on. The Firm seems to have no logical sequence, just throwing body parts in wherever to fit the choreography. Also, several of my Firms do biceps or shoulders with every lower body exercise and yet again separately. That's an overabundance of biceps and shoulders and sometimes other muscles seem almost neglected.

Softshoe 11-15-21 06:00 PM

It used to be Stott Pilates was a main focus. Now I feel there is so much more to life and I have a good variety of DVDs.

wendug 11-15-21 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joni O (Post 2946962)
I'm getting there. I just don't prefer their format anymore. I like completely working a body part or two and then moving on. The Firm seems to have no logical sequence, just throwing body parts in wherever to fit the choreography. Also, several of my Firms do biceps or shoulders with every lower body exercise and yet again separately. That's an overabundance of biceps and shoulders and sometimes other muscles seem almost neglected.

And this is why I love the Firm. I like that they mix things up so I don't get bored.

I can't think of any workouts I used to love and now hate. I know pretty much right away if I'm not going to like a workout.

rhbrand 11-15-21 08:15 PM

New Beachbody stuff. I use to really enjoy Beachbody, but now, its like they string together half a dozen moves that don't really go together to be all "interesting" and it looks like an injury in waiting to me.

annette 11-15-21 08:57 PM

I don't hate Christi Taylor workouts at all; overall they are fun and have good music but can't take the TIFTing. I hardly reach for them anymore.

Joni O 11-15-21 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by annette (Post 2946985)
I don't hate Christi Taylor workouts at all; overall they are fun and have good music but can't take the TIFTing. I hardly reach for them anymore.

Same here!

donellda 11-16-21 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhbrand (Post 2946980)
New Beachbody stuff. I use to really enjoy Beachbody, but now, its like they string together half a dozen moves that don't really go together to be all "interesting" and it looks like an injury in waiting to me.

I have not purchased a new BeachBody workout since Cize. I really loved the Turbo series and the Les Mills workouts that they offered. I still do them every once in a while. I was almost sold on Shaun T's new workouts until I found out that it was all on BOD. I could not see paying $150 plus on a workout and then having to get BOD which I don't want anyway.