Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Online Yoga Videos: Website List (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=155152)

LunaSea 10-09-10 02:00 PM

Online Yoga Videos: Website List

I'm beginning to explore yoga classes online, and have put together a list of sites I've found from VFers (here on GD and on the Yoga check-in - thanks all!). I thought I would share my list here.
Please add to this list! Would love to hear from those using these (or other) sites.

There is a good overview of many of these sites in the New York Times article that Susan G. posted on this thread: VF Thread: NYTimes article

Streaming & Download Websites

Myyogaonline.com
  • Subscription service (pay per month and get unlimited access to view all videos in streaming format).
  • Downloads of individual classes available to purchase (prices based on length of class; 2 download versions: normal and iPod/iPad, which is about $2 less than the normal version, quality is lower).
  • Yes, iPad/iPhone friendly! The videos will stream on iPad. (As of Sept. 27th – they just adapted for this!)
Founders based in Vancouver. Nice production values; some class settings, some instructor only (with voice-over); some outdoor settings; music is mellow, unobtrusive. Recently added an Eoin Finn download from his dvd: Power Yoga for Happiness (Daily Dose of Bliss).
VF Thread

Yogatoday.com
  • Subscription service (pay per month and get unlimited access to view all videos in streaming format).
  • Downloads of individual classes available to purchase.
  • Not iPad/iPhone friendly. Cannot view the streaming videos on iPad. Don’t know if downloads are viewable on iPad/iPod?
  • VF Thread

Streaming Videos Only

Yogaglo.com
  • No downloads of the classes. (There are a very few downloads of workshops available to purchase – only about 4-5).
  • Note: As of now, you cannot view the videos on iPad. But, I just sent an email to the website contact, and got a reply back in about 5 minutes (from the CEO). They are adapting their technology, and the videos will be able to be streamed over iPad and iPod/iPhone in a few weeks. Terrific!
Based in Los Angeles. Video quality looks great. Lots of variety in terms of level, length, style. A number of familiar-name instructors: Elena Brower, Seane Corn, Jason Crandell, Kathryn Budig, Noah Maze.

Lulubandhas.com
  • A few free videos to view (streaming format).
  • No downloads of the classes.
  • Not iPad/iPhone friendly. Uses Flash, so cannot view on iPad/iPhone.
This is Kira Ryder’s studio in Ojai, CA. Most of the videos are of live classes, led by Kira or other instructors from the studio. Great real-class vibe!

YouTube
  • You can find many short videos for free here! (Richard Freeman, Kira Ryder, Shiva Rea, Cyndi Lee.)
  • Yes, iPad friendly. YouTube streams on iPad/iPhone.
  • Jill Miller has a YouTube channel for Yoga Tune Up: Yoga Tune Up
  • Sadie Nardini has her own YouTube channel: Sadie Nardini

Yogavibes.com
  • Pay per class – to view class in streaming format.
  • A few Exhale Core Fusion classes also available.
  • VF Thread
  • VF Thread about Core Fusion Classes

Yogis Anonymous
  • Donation-based service. Technically free when you sign up to website; suggest donation of $7 per class view.
  • Santa Monica Studio; instructors include Ally Hamilton, Ashley Turner.

Downloads Only

iHanuman.com
  • Videos and audios
  • Downloads to purchase.
  • Some free audios.
  • Karma Collection downloads - proceeds go to charity!
A great site with some wonderful offerings. Video quality varies. A great variety of instructors, styles, and practices. A number of familiar names: Tilak Pyle, Erich Schiffmann, Richard Freeman, Betsey Downing.
VF Thread

YogaJournal.com
  • Free 20-minute videos (podcasts) to download. Classes led by Kathryn Budig and Jason Crandell.
  • Some pay-per-download videos (from YJ dvds).

ETA: Additions

Smaller Websites (have fewer than 15-25 videos to view)

Pranamaya.com
Small selection of online courses.
Pay-per-class, but can only be viewed by streaming video.
Uses Flash, so can’t view on iPad/iPhone.

Yogadownload.com
This is mostly an audio download site.
As of 10/10/10 it looks like there are only about 8 videos to view. Imagine this will grow in time.
Streaming and download.
Uses Flash, so can’t view on iPad/iPhone.

Audio Websites (there are many - a few notable ones here)

Aliveyoga.com (Ana Forrest, Heidi Sormaz, Sean Johnson)

Heartofthemoon.com (Barbara Benagh live class recordings)

Vee 10-10-10 03:48 AM

Wow! This is so well researched and comprehensive.

Pranamaya has an online subscription service to yoga videos too. Only streaming.

Susan G. 10-10-10 12:01 PM

Tracy, this is valuable enough to bookmark. Thanks.

tigerbaby 10-10-10 01:36 PM

Dang Tracy! Excellent job! I didn't even know some of these existed.

Can you add www.yogadownload.com to the list? Thank you!!!

LunaSea 10-10-10 02:46 PM

Glad it's useful! I made the list mainly so I could remember the differences between all these - and so I could bookmark it! ;)

Thanks Vee and Tigerbaby for the additions. I've added them to the end of the list.

I had seen the Yogadownload one, but because it is mostly audio, hadn’t included it. (There are so many audio sites – I didn’t have the energy to tackle that list!)

SharonNYC 10-10-10 02:56 PM

Thanks Tracy -- I saved this as a doc in my yoga downloads folder.

yoni 10-10-10 03:15 PM

thanks Tracy , great list! I have been using Yogaglo and My Yoga Online recently and they have excellent classes. and now because of you I found out about yogis anonymous, they have a lot of advanced vinyasa classes including some from Lauren Peterson of the Yogi's Companion CD which I love but wish it was on DVD. great find!:)

KathAL79 10-11-10 10:34 AM

Thank you so much for putting together this list!

toaster 10-11-10 12:01 PM

What a nice job, Tracy!

Does anyone remember when Yoga Today was free? I am lucky--I downloaded a class back then which I really like, "Happy Hips & Hamstrings." :D

One more thing about iHanuman: proceeds for some of the classes (eg, the Karma collection audios) go to charity. :sun:

LunaSea 10-12-10 07:57 PM

Beth - Thanks for that info on iHanuman - makes me like the site even more. It is terrific!

I'm going to check out that class on YogaToday - sounds great - I really need hamstring help (mine are not happy).

Yoni - Thanks for the tip on the Lauren Peterson. I haven't perused the YogisAnonymous site much yet.

Would love to hear any other recommendations from those of you using these sites.