Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Jessica Smith Strong + Centered Reviews and Feedback (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=232834)

LeslieM 05-22-22 01:05 AM

Jessica Smith Strong + Centered Reviews and Feedback

This is a thread where we can gather reviews and impressions of Jessica's new Strong + Centered releases.

I'm traveling and bought the digital downloads yesterday. I only have bands with me so I can't do the strength workouts until I get home.

I maintain the workout compendium spreadsheet (master list of all Jessica's workouts with info about title, type, length, equipment, etc). The spreadsheet will be updated the second week of June after we get home.
Look forward to reading reviews!

schoolgirl-01 05-22-22 07:10 PM

look forward to your reviews and seeing the compendium

katalina 05-23-22 06:25 AM

Looking forward to reading reviews!!

JENILU 05-23-22 01:18 PM

Yes!! Thankyou so much!! I just received some but not all, but I like to know others impressions and I am a slow starter on new til i know what I am getting into, but I invested because She is my largest (%) go to.

CharM 05-23-22 01:32 PM

"borrowing" these from the other thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by momofcha (Post 2966140)
I did the total strength one today. I found it quite challenging. Loved it

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogapam (Post 2966147)
I’ve done two of the Stretch & Relax practices, one of the walks, & Total Body Circuit #2. I’ve enjoyed them all!

Messe 05-24-22 07:30 AM

I love Jessica and own most of her DVDs, but I've been disappointed in this set so far. I think these workouts are just okay, and I may end up returning them.

Anne29 05-24-22 09:14 AM

I’ve tried five workouts so far: Fusion Flow Sculpt from the Fusion Flow & Glow, two of the stretch segments (Restore and Rise), the Steady Walk from Walk a 5K and then 48 Min Total Body Strength workout. I’ve enjoyed them all, and I’m really excited to do the whole rotation.

They’re all up to her usual caliber: they’re well-designed workouts, the set is of course beautiful, and Jessica herself has the perfect demeanor for me. She’s upbeat, motivating and yet also calming. I like that the music is more audible than it was in Lift & Shift, and I really like the length of these workouts (L & S was a bit long and WS are a bit short). I think it’s all a really good fit for where I’m at right now.

I’ve always loved her fusion workouts and the gliding disc adds nice variety for me. I use these square-shaped paper plates and the moves never felt unsafe to me. It sounds like I’m in the minority here though? :D I don’t know, they make me feel graceful, almost like I’m dancing or swimming, and I do think they engage the muscles in different and helpful ways.

I’m not great at doing detailed breakdowns, so I’ll leave that for other VFers to take on, but I did want to say that I didn’t expect to like the Walk a 5K one as much as I did. I do indoor walking workouts only when I have to (when it’s too cold and icy to walk safely outside), but I loved the pace and variety of movements in the Steady Walk one. The warm-up seemed strange at first—you’re not walking at all, but getting range of motion in the hips, glutes, feet and ankles—but once we started walking, I understood why she did that. My hips felt great and usually I have to walk a good 30 min before they start loosening up that way. She also threw some arm movements in that loosened up my upper back nicely. It’s going to be great for counteracting a day of sitting. The music was really motivating in this one too.

What I was most curious about is how the strength workouts will compare to WS3 and L&S, and so far they’re exactly what I was hoping for. The one I did was 48 min long, but that included a warmup and cooldown, so it’s definitely shorter than the L&S workouts (L & S does have warmups but they weren’t always thorough enough for me). It was structured in a similar way though: circuits of 3-4 exercises that you then repeat. The first circuit was lower body and back, the second lower body and chest, the third lower body and bicep/triceps and then the last was core/pushups/inner-outer thigh. (Shoulders were in there too but I can’t remember exactly where). The lifting speed was faster than L&S and there were fewer reps, but you went slow enough that you could go heavy and concentrate on form. I liked the variety of moves and the equipment needs were minimal.

Jessica did say that she designed these to help people progress from WS3 to L&S, and I can see how they might do that. She does include some balance moves and slow descents that seem like they might help you build the strength you need for some of the hard stuff in L&S.

So I’m super happy so far. :music: The only ones I’m a little meh on are the stretch ones. They were fine, and I like that she includes foot and ankle stretches, but I just prefer yoga. I kind of knew that going in, but I wanted to support Jessica and buy the whole digital bundle, so I got the whole set.

katalina 05-25-22 08:30 AM

My dvds arrived yesterday. I did Release from Stretch & Relax after my bike ride this morning. She uses a towel to deepen the stretches. I liked it! Jessica has become my go-to for stretching.

My one critique is that I wish she had had her Peanut pillow on the chair :)

momofcha 05-25-22 10:50 AM

I decided to try the walking one but there is no breakdown of miles? It just says the steady walk is 50 minutes. I would have loved it if it popped up when one mile is done and then two, etc. i didn’t have time for the whole thing so I just stopped but have no idea how far I walked. Disappointed in that but the workout itself was nice.

Assuming the steady walk is 3.1 miles and the fast walk is a separate 3.1 miles?

Floren 05-25-22 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momofcha (Post 2966634)
I decided to try the walking one but there is no breakdown of miles? It just says the steady walk is 50 minutes. I would have loved it if it popped up when one mile is done and then two, etc. i didn’t have time for the whole thing so I just stopped but have no idea how far I walked. Disappointed in that but the workout itself was nice.

Assuming the steady walk is 3.1 miles and the fast walk is a separate 3.1 miles?

Hi, the back of the DVD cover says:
"Please note that our mileage is approximate, and the step count equivalent of each walk (warm up and cool down included) is about 3.1 miles."