Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   April Focus: Posture! (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=232576)

Vintage VFer 03-29-22 01:15 PM

April Focus: Posture!

I've always tried to focus on posture. In recent months, I've had a lot of life changes and notice that my posture has suffered. I have a vertebral compression fracture, so I have to be extra vigilant about my posture.

How about a month long focus on good posture habits for the month of April?

Anyone interested? :sun:

mimikz 03-29-22 04:51 PM

Good idea, I'm interested :sun:

It's one of the benefits of working on my Pilates practice this year. I'm definitely more aware of core strength and posture.

Mimi K

BunnyHop 03-29-22 08:28 PM

Anyone have some favorites for inspiration??

I still have Gin Miller's Straight Up Stick workout (with the Salsa Walk on dvd)

but mostly I seem to rely on Classical Stretch and Yoga.

Some years back I learned that if I were careful about my posture, the backaches I'd been suffering would go away completely, but I still keep my CS back workout dvd for any flare up.

Demeris 03-29-22 10:15 PM

So I use Essentrics/CS and T-Tapp for posture work (and I know what you think of T-Tapp, and Teresa), BUT I follow a chiropractor on YouTube who, in addition to being some lovely eyecandy, has some posture work:

Adam Fields

Negin 03-30-22 02:47 AM

I love this idea. I keep telling myself that I need to do some type of posture work daily. I try, but don't always succeed. I have all my posture routines of differing lengths on word documents. I rotate through them depending on how much time I have. Whenever I find a good one that I like, I add it to the list.

Oh, and I love CS/Essentrics. I've been trying to do at least one routine every day.

This from a book written by a former model. She was a model back in the 1950's or so.
"Someone once told me to stand as if I wore a beautiful jewel that I wanted to show off at my bosom, and I think perhaps it is the best advice that I can pass on to you."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demeris (Post 2960509)
So I use Essentrics/CS and T-Tapp for posture work (and I know what you think of T-Tapp, and Teresa), BUT I follow a chiropractor on YouTube who, in addition to being some lovely eyecandy, has some posture work:
Adam Fields

I've never tried T-Tapp.
The Adam Fields channel looks interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Here are some of my shortest posture moves/routines - all under 8 minutes, I believe.

3-Minute Killer Back Toning Workout | POP Pilates Song Challenge!

5 MIN ARMS & UPPER BACK | BETTER POSTURE NOW!| Michelle Wilson

5 Min IMPROVE YOUR POSTURE | Daily Exercises + No Equipment

5 Minute Toned Arm WORKOUT For Women Over 50 - No Equipment

5 min Yoga for Shoulder Flexibility and Pain Relief

7 MIN Waist Thinners | Essentrics

Chest Opener - Best exercise for improving round shoulders

Hold your arms up in a “V” shape, either sitting or standing, press back with arms (not arching your back), pull shoulder blades together.

Hold your arms in a “W” shape- elbows bent and palms facing forward, either sitting or standing, press back with arms (not arching your back), pull shoulder blades together.

Pretty much anything by Lee Holden/Qi Gong - especially his short routines in the 30-Day Challenge! Day 3 in the 30-Day Challenge is one that I made a note of, as well as:
Qigong For Energy and Vitality Lee Holden in Yosemite 2016

Improve Posture, Stretch Your Spine, Breathe Better!

Posture, Get It Straight! DVD - the Warm-Up and Total Posture on this DVD are both short and effective.

POSTURE WORKOUT | POSTURE EXERCISES TO HELP GET GOOD POSTURE Lucy Wyndham-Read

Quick Burn Standing Back Workout! No equipment, at home, back toning exercises!

Shoulder Pain Exercise: Quick Fix: Shoulder Circles | Yoga Tune Up

Standing Back Extension – Lift one leg, hold your arms up in a “V” shape, either sitting or standing, press back with arms (not arching your back), pull shoulder blades together.

Standing Back Extension – Hold your arms in a “W” shape- elbows bent and palms facing forward, either sitting or standing, press back with arms (not arching your back), pull shoulder blades together.

"The Broomstick" POSTURE FIX/ HEART CHAKRA OPENER/ HUNCHBACK SOLUTION - BODY INVENTORY EP. 2

Dancing Queen 03-30-22 06:48 AM

I don't have time in April for posture work - I'm in grad school and have to write a paper this month - but I will definitely be working on my posture in May.

Starting May 1, I plan to re-read Michelle Joyce's Posture Makeover book and do her 30-Day Posture Makeover DVD each day. I've integrated one or two of her exercises into my regular yoga practice, but I've always struggled with poor posture and really need a posture bootcamp.

Thank you, everyone, for sharing your ideas!!! I look forward to checking out your recommendations and will go through my workout DVDs to see if I have any other posture workouts to share.

Vintage VFer 03-30-22 11:13 AM

Negin, etc. - Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check them out.

Jessica Smith has a "Posture Walk" on one of her DVDs. Also, a YouTube routine:

Posture Correction Exercises

I like Janice Novak's DVD and book. Here are some low-res clips:

Posture, Get It Straight!

Demeris - you'd be surprised at how many T-Tapp videos I own! I like her walking workouts. Some of her moves and instructions are good. Others hurt my back and I avoid them.

I've tried CS/Essentrics a few times. I didn't like them. Even more boring than Pilates. :p

I saw an Oprah show many years ago about posture. They secretly filmed the studio audience waiting to see the show. Then, after the guest presented posture tips, they filmed them again. It was stunning how better posture made many of them look younger (and slimmer!).

:sun:

donnamp 03-30-22 12:45 PM

I am considering doing the Essentrics Posture Boost & Back Health Challenge (basically Season 14 with 2 extra live workouts from Sahra) next month. I have dabbled in Season 14 a bit already...

Donna

JackieB 03-30-22 02:10 PM

I love Season 14 for posture work. I also like to lay on my foam roller to just counteract slouching and opening up the chest.

Lorelai 03-30-22 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieB (Post 2960570)
I love Season 14 for posture work. I also like to lay on my foam roller to just counteract slouching and opening up the chest.

I really need to quit being intimidated by the foam roller. :o I have a foam roller massage stick which is great but laying on it like you describe sounds like something I should be doing. What kind of foam roller do you use for that? There are so many to choose from.

I really like posture work and feel great when those muscles are strengthened, but I strained a muscle in my back underneath my left shoulder blade and have had to ignore and then baby that area for awhile. April is too soon to focus on it but I'm trying to work it in as I feel up to it.