Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Off-Topic O/T: Revisiting FlyLady (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=232987)

Vintage VFer 06-25-22 12:27 PM

O/T: Revisiting FlyLady

Many years ago, I tried the FlyLady housecleaning and de-cluttering plan. I was somewhat successful for a short while, but fell off the plan. (The millions of emails didn't help.)

I'm going to try it again. Like my workouts, there will be some serious modifying done. I won't do all her steps and routines. It does give one a plan for daily and weekly chores. We'll see how it goes this time.

She has an app now.

Anyone still using the FlyLady plans?

prettyinpink 06-25-22 12:57 PM

I never did the whole plan. I signed up for the emails on a whim back when that was such a big thing, and was quickly driven mad by them. :p It did help me keep more of a schedule for outdoor things that I tended to put off, like cleaning my deck, patio, and front entryway.

But two things that made a permanent impression on me were keeping a clean kitchen sink, and putting on shoes for the day. I have never worn shoes in the house, but for me this translated into the idea of getting in clothes that would be presentable even if I didn’t plan to go anywhere that day. I was a SAHM of young children, but I guess the same kind of thing goes for someone who is in retirement or working from home.

Sissy B 06-25-22 01:47 PM

I signed up for the emails years ago and unsubscribed because she sends out so many. She does have a book, Sink Reflections, that covers her basic plan and zones.

Mopsy 06-25-22 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prettyinpink (Post 2969595)
I never did the whole plan. I signed up for the emails on a whim back when that was such a big thing, and was quickly driven mad by them. :p It did help me keep more of a schedule for outdoor things that I tended to put off, like cleaning my deck, patio, and front entryway.

But two things that made a permanent impression on me were keeping a clean kitchen sink, and putting on shoes for the day. I have never worn shoes in the house, but for me this translated into the idea of getting in clothes that would be presentable even if I didn’t plan to go anywhere that day. I was a SAHM of young children, but I guess the same kind of thing goes for someone who is in retirement or working from home.

It was years ago, and no, I never followed through. The biggest thing that stuck with me was wearing lace-up sneakers. It does help me move efficiently (I have wood floors and found myself sliding and skating around in socks). And while there might often be a stray dish or two (or more) in the sink, I do make an effort to shine up the faucet.

sherry7899 06-25-22 04:34 PM

I signed up for the emails and lasted two days! I cannot stand wearing shoes inside. I wear slippers or go barefoot.

bzar 06-25-22 07:07 PM

if you are limited in following the entire Flylady plan, the 27 Fling Boogie is very doable and effective as "baby steps" to forming a habit.

Pat58 06-26-22 10:57 AM

She drove me nuts with the emails and platitudes.

Unf*ck Your Habitat is more my style and it really helps - when I follow it. Rachel Hoffman isn't interactive, you have to rely on the book alone. I like how she addresses depression, stress and generally being overwhelmed as legitimate reasons for having a cluttered (ahem, dirty) space. But she doesn't hold any punches.

Erica H. 06-26-22 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat58 (Post 2969663)

Unf*ck Your Habitat is more my style and it really helps - when I follow it. Rachel Hoffman isn't interactive, you have to rely on the book alone. I like how she addresses depression, stress and generally being overwhelmed as legitimate reasons for having a cluttered (ahem, dirty) space. But she doesn't hold any punches.

This looks good. Wish my library carried it.

Erica

Sissy B 06-26-22 12:30 PM

Quote:

My library has it so I just put it on hold.

Mopsy 06-26-22 12:31 PM

Quote:

Agreed, and thank you again for recommending it. I also liked her book because it was just so different from the others. Not everybody has a family they can gather for a weekend garage cleanup. Some people are alone, have physical or emotional restrictions, time limitations, or uncooperative roommates. Sometimes when I have 10 minutes to kill, I think "let's go unf**k something" :o It might just be some junk mail, or put away a few dishes, but it's something.