Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   Challenges and Check-ins (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Endurance Check in December 2019 ~Run Swim Bike Hike (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=227383)

Vantreesta 12-02-19 04:48 PM

Endurance Check in December 2019 ~Run Swim Bike Hike

New month, new goals, newcomers welcome!

INTRO: This check-in celebrates the art of staying in motion. Some of us are training for marathons, some for 5Ks and others for triathlons. Some of us are just training for life or trying to keep up with life.

We talk a lot about running, but we are also cyclists, occasional swimmers, hikers, past and future triathletes and any other long distance sport you can think of. We struggle with fitting in all the workouts, what we "should" be doing to overcoming injuries and life's challenges. We learn from one another and trade training tips, links to cute workout clothes and, of course, recommendations for good workouts.

December questions:

Vantreesta 12-02-19 04:48 PM

This morning was 2 mile walk with Cyric, 2.4 miles on the treadmill with VA Alberta Rockies Hike plus 10 minutes of backwards walking, Strong Knees stretch and Cathe XTrain Chest, Back & Shoulders premix 3. I can't wait till my heavy weights are actually heavy! :D

Working on inside Christmas decorations. I have to redo my outside lights. The heavy snow and then freezing rain on top flattened the bushes and pushed my lights off. They're buried under frozen snow now. I spent so much time getting them just right! Argh!

I'm really hoping to be better about posting this month, not just my workouts but personals. I've been so bad about that and answering emails! Must change this.

AlisonH 12-04-19 11:41 AM

Add me to the "been bad about posting" list. I've been plugging along, doing a little running, biking indoors, and strength. I didn't get to do a black Friday #OptOutside hike this year because my cousin brought her 3 boys over, ages 6 months, 6, and 9. I held the baby a lot and then played with the older boys once Megan couldn't take it anymore.

I'm working on 2020 goals, since I pretty much flailed through 2019. I'm still toying with the idea of a marathon, but I don't know if that's realistic with my schedule. I know they say you can make time if you really want to, but I'm so so so tired as it is already.

Happy December!

Vantreesta 12-05-19 08:37 PM

I'm still sore from upper body weights on Monday. :) Tuesday morning I didn't feel great so I didn't workout till after our last walk. I did a ride on my bike trainer to Ambient Virtual Cycle Windmills & Walkways and Zombies Run S3M5 (I biked through the Netherlands with Prince while a ghost talked to me :D) and then the Twists practice from Rodney's AM Yoga for Your Week. Yesterday I had a bunch of errands to run and never got in a workout. Last night we went to see A Christmas Carol. It was my first real play (meaning not a school play) and it was fantastic! I really enjoyed it. This morning as we were starting our first walk I slipped on ice and fell square on my knee. It instantly bruised. We came back home and I iced it for a while. We went again a couple hours later and all was fine, no limp. It hurts more to touch it than to move it. This afternoon I boiled and riced 10 lbs of potatoes and mixed up lefse. Tmrw I will be in the kitchen all day actually cooking the lefse. Not sure if I'll get in a workout tonight or tmrw.

Alison, it doesn't sound like your workload has lightened since the new person started? I'm sorry you're so tired. That seems to be how hubby is feeling since he dozes in his chair quite often. I feel bad that my restless sleep keeps him awake.

AlisonH 12-06-19 07:36 AM

Vantreesta: I hope your knee is okay! Good luck with all the cooking. My workload has shifted a bit--not really sure if it's more or less, just different, which is good. I handed off the weekly newsletter to her so I can focus more on other things that hadn't been getting done. That being said, we estimated that our division's workload has tripled in the last year thanks to some new initiatives.

I'm home this weekend (wasn't the last 2) so I should have time to do both cardio and strength workouts.

Vantreesta 12-09-19 11:33 PM

Yesterday I made mini red velvet bundt cakes for a Christmas supper with friends tonight. I had never made or even eaten bundt cake before but I think they turned out pretty good. This afternoon I finally worked out for the first time since Tuesday. :eek: I did XTrain Super Cuts premix 8 which had much more cardio effect than I expected! That was a virgin and so was the Virtual Active American Northeast Hike I did next on the treadmill with my backwards walking to finish it off. Last I did TurboFire Stretch 10, still one of my very favorite stretches.

Alison, will they be hiring another person if the division's workload has increased that much?

Pratima, I'm trying to remember from last month, what did you say your MRI showed? I'm seeing my doctor next month about my hip. I figure my pain is all related to my old injury but am hoping nothing has gotten worse. The pain has been off and on since June in different areas of the hip joint and sometimes it's so bad it takes my breath away.

AlisonH 12-10-19 12:17 PM

Vantreesta: For now, we're done hiring, especially with no federal budget. I guess we'll see what a new budget brings, whenever there actually is one.

I ran/walked 3.5 miles on Saturday on the path around the soccer field while Megan had her trainining. She trains the same place tomorrow evening, weather permitting, so hopefully it'll happen and I can run there again. Sunday I did BodyPump, Monday RPM (Les Mills cycle workout, which much to my surprise, I like), and today BodyPump.

Vantreesta 12-10-19 03:12 PM

Today was XTrain Hard Strikes premix 16, VA Sierra Nevada 2 Hike on the tm with the same 10 min of backwards walking at the end and then the Strong Knees stretch. My booty and quads were talking to me!

Alison, nice job getting in a run/walk while Megan trained! Plus Body Pump and a ride. Hope the weather cooperates for you to run/walk again. I haven't run since October. :eek:

Pratima 12-12-19 01:28 PM

I'm here! And obviously also bad about posting, though I have been working out. I'd say I spent the first couple weeks of this month feeling sorry for myself. DH is working and doing normal stuff and I think everything that happened this year started to hit me. For about 2 weeks I couldn't think about my mom without crying. And admittedly now I'm avoiding that by just not thinking about her.

I was trying to find a counselor but had a couple bad experiences in the past. I had some good ones too so I'll try again, it's just tough with insurance and all that.

I'm making it to Burn Bootcamp 3-4 days a week, going to spin once a week and running twice, averaging only about 10 miles a month. I've put on a LOT of muscle which actually makes my arms and legs look smaller, so that's good.

Hot Chocolate 5K is Sunday. DD and I are riding up with two other MRTT ladies and one is bringing her daughter who is DD's age. On Sunday I usually do 4 miles with MRTT and then take DD out for another couple miles, so she has been training.

I submitted our times from ShePower and we're in Corral A! I don't know what her aspirations are--I'm pretty sure DD could average a 10 -10:30 mm if she wanted, and I couldn't. So, we'll see! It's in a new location this year so I don't know what to expect at all.

My dad and grandma are in India until Jan. 20 and my brother just bought a house and is moving just before Christmas, so it's just us. We'll be here Christmas day and have our usual Chinese dinner with our Jewish friends :D. The day after, we're going up north and staying a few days.

My company gives all employees four days off to use the week of Christmas and/or New Year's. I think this year I'll take two extra days so I get almost two whole weeks off. Very exciting!

I promise I'll be back and read through the posts tomorrow!

Pratima 12-16-19 06:07 PM

Reading posts so now I can reply! Vantreesta, my MRI showed a slight tear in I think my hip and slight hamstring tendinitis, as well as a hemangioma at the top of my hamstring. It's that last one that caused the weird soreness. Honestly as long as I don't sit down too much, everything seems to work properly, and the doctor said none of that was a concern. How's the weather there? I saw you fell on ice and had a lot of snow. I'm guessing that'll be the case until spring.

Alison, did you do RPM on your bike with trainer? I haven't been on my bike in probably a year! I should put it on the trainer and see how it feels. I do RPM at the gym pretty often. I like that it's 45 minutes. Sometimes it doesn't seem all that intense (lots of breaks) and I guess I should push myself more during the work.

Hot Chocolate 5K on Saturday turned out to be fun! A woman in my running group who I ran with quite a bit over the summer suggested we carpool, so DD and I rode with her, her DD, and another friend of mine. We left really early because we weren't sure what parking would be like. We got there much earlier than expected, found parking easily, and had a short walk to the start line.

DD did amazing, her fastest 5K yet at 31:17. I really had trouble keeping up. She wants to do a sub-30 minute 5K. I think I've done that twice and only with a lot of training! She did train but seriously only maybe 5 runs, of at most 2 miles each.

I'm surprisingly not sore after my fast 5K. Made it to Burn Bootcamp this morning. I have my workouts planned out for this week and part of next. We're heading to northern AZ from Dec. 26-29 so I'll probably miss a couple workouts but hoping to ice skate and snowshoe instead!

I'm still stressed and haven't looked any more for a counselor. My employer has a 24 hour line you can call and they'll provide something like 6 or 8 sessions for free. I keep thinking I"m OK and then realize my eye is twitching and I'm holding my breath, two big signs of stress. I'll get around to it, I swear.

I work all this week and then Monday and Tuesday and am off from 12/25 until 1/6. I can't wait!

P.S. I haven't used a workout DVD in months and feel sort of bad about it! I also sold the shelf they were on because it was too small and so they're sitting all over the floor in my workout room.:o