Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Help with renegade rows (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=231409)

Garrie A. 07-19-21 08:56 AM

Help with renegade rows

I've been getting into Caroline Girvan's workouts lately and notice that a lot of her upper body workouts have renegade rows. Am I the only one who has problems holding my hands on the dumbbell handles while in plank position?

I have lifting gloves but that doesn't seem to help. Yes, I know you can put your hands on the floor in between reps, but in Caroline's workouts where you are timed, every second counts.

Renegade masters (pun intended :p) I need your advice!

Garrie A. 07-19-21 11:03 AM

Bueller? Bueller??

ddj 07-19-21 11:46 AM

No renegade master here, but I'll throw in my two cents.

I cannot do one-handed moves with my weight resting on dumbbells or kettlebells, so I use a high step (easier than the floor). However, I can do a few kettlebell pushups by using Gripads. But only a few. And with both hands on the bells. If I try to do renegade rows or tricep extensions, I will get a pain in my palm that will eventually radiate up my arm. Those moves just don't work for me. And as you say, lifting gloves don't really help. I find the Gripads have more cushion.

I don't know how Caroline's workouts are set up, but could you do all the reps on one side instead of alternating?

kat999 07-19-21 02:13 PM

I go to my knees rather than be in real plank, so I'm basically in tabletop. Another option is to stand with one leg propped up on a very high step or the seat of a chair.

wendug 07-19-21 03:11 PM

There was a thread a while back asking about what moves you won't or can't do. Renegade rows was one of my moves. I have a hard time holding a plank position with my hands on dumbbells. So I end up putting one hand on the floor and doing the row with my other arm. It isn't as fast, but much more comfortable for me. So I either don't do as many reps, or spend more time doing the set of renegade rows. Sorry, my response isn't any help, but I sympathize!

Garrie A. 07-19-21 03:39 PM

I got it! I think I found my solution! I set up my Club Step to about 12 inches (4 risers each side), put my dumbbells on the step in row position, and tried a few. Not as much pressure on my hands, and I have a feeling that this will (slowly but surely) help me build up to doing full renegade rows on the floor, by slowly taking one riser level down at a time as I get stronger.

AsSweetAsSugar 07-19-21 03:40 PM

I sympathize too, I also find it uncomfortable to hold a plank with hands on dumbbells.

Jane P. 07-19-21 03:48 PM

I don't do them. I like to go as heavy as I can on rows, and I can't do that in plank position.

Garrie A. 07-19-21 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jane P. (Post 2933838)
I don't do them. I like to go as heavy as I can on rows, and I can't do that in plank position.

I agree! The back is my favorite muscle to work and I HATE shortchanging it!

Hazel Porter 07-19-21 06:19 PM

I did a workout with Caroline the other day where she put her non-working hand on a yoga block. I found that very comfortable.