Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Off-Topic Spring Reading (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=230524)

Rivercat 04-06-21 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BunnyHop (Post 2919591)
I've been reading The Little Princess for the umpteenth time. Such a good story.

That is one of my all-time favorite comfort reads, along with The Secret Garden.

BunnyHop 04-06-21 07:01 PM

Finished Little Princess late yesterday.

Kinda stalled out on Sasha Sagan's book on rituals. Guess I should give it another try this evening and plan to take it to the library if I'm not going to finish it.

In today's mail I got How to Grow your own Poem by Kate Klanchy. Stephen Fry's book on the same subject kind of stumped me, so I thought I'd try this. Maybe all I need is a different approach?

Also got Hope and Help for Your Nerves by Claire Weekes, about recovering from anxiety/depression/nervous breakdown.

I had pre-ordered Blue Sky Mind by Ian Gawler, but it's not yet shipped out. Not sure what that's about.

Rivercat 04-12-21 04:03 PM

I picked up the new Stephen King book Later from Hard Case Crime at Target the other day and read it over the weekend. It was a quick (esp for SK) and entertaining read, though there's an odd twist at the end that didn't think needed to be there, almost as if he wasn't sure how to end it.

lreidgreen 04-12-21 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol K (Post 2918513)
I'm reading The Patron Saint of Pregnant Girls by Ursula Hegi. The last thing I read by her was Stones from the River, which was so good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bee (Post 2918515)
Oh gosh, I loved Stones! Let us know how this is.

I loved Stones too! I forgot about it I read it so long ago.

Carol K 04-12-21 08:23 PM

I'm really enjoying the new book. It is set in a much earlier time period than Stones from the River, late 1800s.

lreidgreen 04-12-21 08:27 PM

I don't remember if I mentioned this in he Winter reading thread but I read The Vanishing Half by Britt Bennett. Very good and excellent discussion book.
I am currently reading Talking to Strangers by Malcolm Gladwell. So far I am liking it. The magazines are piling up and I am having a hard time keeping up with reading the books I want to read. Something's got to give.

Laura S. 04-13-21 10:57 AM

I finished The Consequences of Fear by Jacqueline Winspear, the latest Maisie Dobbs book. It was really good.

Now I continue reading The Last Garden in England and American Duchess by Karen Harper. I'm enjoying both of them.

bee 04-13-21 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lreidgreen (Post 2920906)
I don't remember if I mentioned this in he Winter reading thread but I read The Vanishing Half by Britt Bennett. Very good and excellent discussion book.
I am currently reading Talking to Strangers by Malcolm Gladwell. So far I am liking it. The magazines are piling up and I am having a hard time keeping up with reading the books I want to read. Something's got to give.

I loved The Vanishing Half!!

TracyQ 04-16-21 05:07 PM

I just started reading a fascinating non-fiction book—Hidden Valley Road. It’s the story of a family with twelve children, six of them diagnosed with schizophrenia.

Erica H. 04-16-21 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TracyQ (Post 2921504)
I just started reading a fascinating non-fiction book—Hidden Valley Road. It’s the story of a family with twelve children, six of them diagnosed with schizophrenia.

I read that book a while ago and had mixed feelings about it.

I just finished Shuggie Bain, which was good (sad). Starting Strong Women Lift Each Other Up by Molly Galbraith.

Erica