Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Which series to (re)start (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=219053)

gwenna 03-05-17 12:38 PM

Which series to (re)start

I've totally fallen off the workout wagon and am finding my Leslie's hard. So while I work on those for a couple weeks to get back into the grove I am wondering what to do next! I recently got JNL Fusion, Kettlebell Kickboxing Scorcher and (supposed to be receiving soon) Kettlebell Kickboxing 7-Day Lean. I'm not sure which one to start with, which would be "easier" to do? I want to follow a program just so I don't have to think about it too much. And I'd like to use these new workouts :) I normally workout 5 days a week (though the past few months it's been 0 days). I will also be starting to walk more as we are getting a dog soon (though he's a baby and can't walk far or at all until he has all his shots of course!).

I am feeling my age, and don't like it one bit. I just want to be able to enjoy this summer with my active kiddo and not feel like I need a nap. We also have a trip to Disney planned at the end of the summer and I know it's a lot of walking!

alisoncooks 03-05-17 12:44 PM

We are heading to Disney in May, and it has been a major motivation to increase my fitness level this winter! (I have a friend there now and she *just today* posted her fitness app stats: 26,000 steps/10 miles in a day! :eek:)

Anyway, I'm not familiar with the programs you listed, but I've started back with Lauren Brooks's SUAT. Short and to the point; I always add a 2nd workout but it varies whether it is another SUAT or yoga or floorwork like Winsor Bun & Thighs.

Anyway, good luck getting back into the habit! Also, if you can stream, I found I really enjoyed some of Jessica Smith's strength workouts on youtube. (I don't care for her cardio or cardio-tone, but I like her plain ol' strength stuff.)

:)

bubbles76 03-05-17 01:18 PM

I wouldn't start with any of those series if Leslie is hard for you now, to be honest :D That's just me though. I THINK all of those workouts have modifiers though. I don't know about JNL Fusion though as I've never tried it.

videofit 03-05-17 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbles76 (Post 2698116)
I wouldn't start with any of those series if Leslie is hard for you now. JNL Fusion though as I've never tried it.

I agree. I'd start by increasing your walking mileage and pace with maybe light dumbbells for upper body or try to do some knee push ups and crunches.

PhyllisG 03-05-17 01:32 PM

I would go with Ellen. They feel good....light aerobic, light strength and plenty of flexibility.

geojill 03-05-17 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhyllisG (Post 2698122)
I would go with Ellen. They feel good....light aerobic, light strength and plenty of flexibility.

I like the Ellen suggestion. She has some free stuff on YouTube, too.

Titus2woman 03-06-17 06:48 PM

I am also getting back into fitness and have been walking a mile outside when I can. I found even a mile was difficult in the beginning. I also found that I didn't progress with just regular walking alone~that came when I added two-three weighted workouts to my week. I'm also the crazy that did "The Wobble" many times a day for a couple of weeks, because it got my heart pumping and was fun enough for me to want to continue! :p

Whatever you decide, please keep us posted! ~we want to cheer you on to your trip~ :D

AsSweetAsSugar 03-06-17 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbles76 (Post 2698116)
I wouldn't start with any of those series if Leslie is hard for you now, to be honest :D That's just me though. I THINK all of those workouts have modifiers though. I don't know about JNL Fusion though as I've never tried it.

I was going to say the same.

The Scorcher set if one of the most challenging of Dasha's sets. JNL, you can modify by going very light on weights, and the cardio is very high impact, although there is a modifier. 7DL is all body-weight and there is a modifier as well, I guess it doesn't hurt to give them a try and see how you feel with the modifications. But, if you're finding Leslie's that hard, maybe the PowerFit Harmony set would be a better starter point, or Jessica Smith 30 Day Walk Plan or the Walk Strong set. Jessica has a lot of workouts on youtube if streaming is an option for you, and I also saw the PowerFit workouts on youtube, if you want to check them out.

Whatever you decide doing, keep the motivation up and listen to your body, I'm sure you'll get your fitness back soon :sun:

gwenna 03-06-17 07:19 PM

Thanks everyone. I started back with Leslie two weeks ago and am doing better, just can't do as I once did (jogging instead of walking, jacks instead of side steps...) but I do feel I am improving! I know Disney will be a lot of walking, we went for two days last spring and I did over 20k steps a day, I imagine this will be the same or more! I can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can get outside to walk, freezing rain at the moment ugh! I am ready for winter to be over :) I am ready to add on to Leslie, with some kind of weights, so I think I will look at the JNL a bit closer, though I hear good things about kettlebells. Who knows.

Titus2woman 03-06-17 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar (Post 2698398)
But, if you're finding Leslie's that hard, maybe the PowerFit Harmony set would be a better starter point, or Jessica Smith 30 Day Walk Plan or the Walk Strong set. Jessica has a lot of workouts on youtube if streaming is an option for you, and I also saw the PowerFit workouts on youtube, if you want to check them out.

These choices = excellent advice!!!! I love the PowerFit Harmonies (and still suck wind and feel it!), and most everything Jessica Smith. A couple of the vids in the Walk Strong set hurt my back, but I've not had that experience with anything else from her.