Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Is there another workout like KCM's Cardio Blast? (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=163714)

alisoncooks 04-04-11 08:45 AM

Is there another workout like KCM's Cardio Blast?

I've reacquired a step.
I'm seriously considering reacquiring KCM's Cardio Blast.

I did it one time a loooong time ago. I remember having a "blast" and being sweaty but exhilarated and challenged...but I parted with it. IDK why. Cause I'm fickle or moved on to something else. But that's beside the point.

Anyway, I have been looking at step clips and am noting how unique KCM's CB appears to be:
simple choreography
not dancey at all
fun boxing/kickboxing moves thrown in
athletic moves
low-impact modifier shown
short format (30 min!)

I can't find anything else like this. I am choreo-challenged. Gilad's Step tripped me up. I can't do any turns, reverses, mambos, over the top...that is WAY past my mental-physical collaboration.

So, IS there anything like Cardio Blast? What about KCM's Step Boxing? (is that one of hers with the terrible cueing?)

neatski 04-04-11 08:52 AM

Cathe's Intensity is one of the closest, but she does not show a low impact modifier, so you'd have to modify on your own.

Lucky Star 04-04-11 09:17 AM

Hi Alison! I don't step much but I :love: Cardio Blast. I'm clumsy and need step to be very simple, but then it runs the risk of being mind-numbingly repetitive. ;) Anyway, I have a short list of step workouts I'll do (though only KCM completely fulfills your requirements).

My must-have's:
~KCM's Cardio Blast (of course!)
~Cathe's Basic Step (She teaches this very well - I was shocked to find I could do "around the worlds"!)
~Debra Mazda's Let Get Stepping! (very simple, fun music, I love it)

Others I like. Haven't done them in a while so don't recall their details, but they're either a bit more complicated/dancey or longer (or both). Some I'm still learning. :o:
~Kari Anderson's Go
~Christi Taylor's Mission Possible
~Cathe's Low Impact Step
~Keli Roberts' Ultimate Step (on VHS)
~Gilad's Step (but I know you didn't like it)
~Cher's New Attitude (also with Keli, also on VHS)

As you can see I don't experiment a lot when it comes to step so I'd love to hear other, newer recommendations. :)

Re: KCM's step-boxing workouts: I adore her but really can't recommend her earlier step workouts; I found they moved way too fast and were too complicated for me. :( You might have an easier time, of course.

Quick question: was it you who once claimed that step aggravated her varicose veins? I ask because I have a vein 'situation' as well and was/am concerned. I definitely don't want to aggravate mine either. I haven't seen a correlation but then - as mentioned - I do step very infrequently.

Fit Mommy 04-04-11 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alisoncooks (Post 1779657)
I've reacquired a step.
I'm seriously considering reacquiring KCM's Cardio Blast.

I did it one time a loooong time ago. I remember having a "blast" and being sweaty but exhilarated and challenged...but I parted with it. IDK why. Cause I'm fickle or moved on to something else. But that's beside the point.

Anyway, I have been looking at step clips and am noting how unique KCM's CB appears to be:
simple choreography
not dancey at all
fun boxing/kickboxing moves thrown in
athletic moves
low-impact modifier shown
short format (30 min!)

I can't find anything else like this. I am choreo-challenged. Gilad's Step tripped me up. I can't do any turns, reverses, mambos, over the top...that is WAY past my mental-physical collaboration.

So, IS there anything like Cardio Blast? What about KCM's Step Boxing? (is that one of hers with the terrible cueing?)

I can't help you on comparisons to kcm, but if you are looking for super simple step choreography that's intense...get cathe's new intensity DVD...I love it! Simple, but INTENSE! I can't say enough about what a great workout this is! Hth

Lucky Star 04-04-11 09:30 AM

Does Intensity have premixes, or can it easily be shortened?

ETA - ok, just looked it up on Collage and see that the step section is only 25 mins! :)
ETAA - According to Cathe's site it has a bunch of premixes:
1. Maximum Intensity – 70.21
2. Step Only – 36.30
3. Step + HiiT (Hi) + Boot Camp – 59.09
4. Step + HiiT (Lo) + Boot Camp – 60.23
5. Timesaver - Step + HiiT (Hi)- 46.26
6. Timesaver - Step + HiiT (Lo) – 47.40
7. Timesaver – Step + Boot Camp – 49.13
8. Timesaver - Double HiiT and Boot Camp – 45.44
9. Timesaver – HiiT (Lo) + Boot Camp – 35.49

alisoncooks 04-04-11 09:39 AM

Neatski & Fit Mommy~ Thanks for that rec, I'll go check it out, especially since I'm just getting interested in Cathe!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky Star (Post 1779703)
Quick question: was it you who once claimed that step aggravated her varicose veins? I ask because I have a vein 'situation' as well and was/am concerned. I definitely don't want to aggravate mine either. I haven't seen a correlation but then - as mentioned - I do step very infrequently.

Thanks for the suggestions Gina (and actually, I do like Gilad's step...but it gets a little repetitive and I still end up clumsily fumbling through it).

Yes, I did think step bothered my varicose veins. When I bought my step last year, I did several step workouts (3-4 in a week, maybe). I had had NO vein issues/pain before that...and then, quite suddenly, I did. Felt like a connection to me, but who can say? I actually sold my step & step videos right away b/c I didn't wanna take the chance.

Fast-forward, LOL. I got a cheap step ($20!) on craigslist to use as a weight bench for Jari Love workouts, etc. Started fondly remembering Cardio Blast....and well...here we are.

What a slippery slope. :D
I don't plan on doing A LOT of step, maybe 1x a week or so. So maybe Cardio Blast is sufficient for that.

(Sorry for the book ;))

JP44 04-04-11 09:43 AM

Dissenting voice: I did not care for Cathe's Intensity. Too many recycled moves & not that intense IMO.

Joan

alisoncooks 04-04-11 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JP44 (Post 1779731)
Dissenting voice: I did not care for Cathe's Intensity. Too many recycled moves & not that intense IMO.

Joan

Wow, you must be fit! I just got back from previewing it over at Cathe's site and I was thinking it looked a little too intense for me!:eek::o

Maybe I'll just stick with Cardio Blast...:)

Lucky Star 04-04-11 09:55 AM

I don't have it, but how about Tracie Long's Step Forward? Does anyone know if that 'qualifies'?

Lucky Star 04-04-11 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alisoncooks (Post 1779724)
I don't plan on doing A LOT of step, maybe 1x a week or so. So maybe Cardio Blast is sufficient for that.

Smart girl!! ;)
My tendency has always been to overbuy (of course :p).