Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Cosgrove's Drop Two Sizes: Sub for High Pull? (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=194370)

Vintage VFer 07-07-13 10:21 AM

Cosgrove's Drop Two Sizes: Sub for High Pull?

I don't want to do high pulls. What would folks doing D2S suggest instead? Is there another option in her book?

slysam 07-07-13 10:43 AM

I have the book on my phone so I took a quick peak. I didn't see an alternative, it serves as the "power" exercise in that workout, so maybe dumbbell or kettlebell swings would serve much of the same intended purpose?

ETA: Or look at the Power exercise in the next phases to see if those are more suitable. In Phase Two it is a "Push press" which looks like a squat + shoulder press all in one motion and in phase 3 the book shows a box jump/jump squat in A and a Jump lunge in B.

Sue B 07-07-13 10:58 AM

You could substitute another upper-body power exercise, like plyo pushups, kettlebell snatches, or med ball slams or tosses.

momofcha 07-07-13 11:30 AM

I did KETTLEBELL high pulls. A little different

shaka02 07-07-13 11:57 AM

Hi,
I assume that you want to sub because you have a previous injury that you don't want to aggravate?

If so, then I would say that you want to pick an exercise that has a power component but is safer. I would add, in addition to some of the previous suggestions, to try the movement with no weights. It would be like a squat-jump but your toes don't leave the ground.

There is a Facebook group for D2S. Maybe you could ask for subs there as well.

Deb

Jane P. 07-07-13 12:07 PM

I do a high push (up to a shoulder press) with light dumbells. You could also do the power exercise that she shows in workout B. Just do the same move in both the A & B workouts.

Vintage VFer 07-07-13 02:38 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Deb, I don't belong to FaceBook. (I'm a dinosaur!)

I don't have any shoulder injuries. I just never liked high pulls. I used to do k-bell high pulls, but only with light bells. They seem like an accident waiting to happen for some folks.

ellaenchanted 07-07-13 02:59 PM

I have no injuries but don't want to do it either. I previewed and said "no way!" I would need expert instruction first. Maybe I'll ask a trainer at the gym to show me proper form.

saffron 07-07-13 07:40 PM

In Rachel's One Month to Muscles program the power exercises are medicine ball slam and medicine ball side toss.
In her Sleek Strong program she also uses kettlebell or dumbbell swings.

toaster 04-22-14 09:00 PM

Reviving Old Thread...

I'm reviving this thread b/c I thought I remembered seeing a question about high pulls when I did some research on D2S prior to starting the program. I'm now on the last week of Phase 1 (Week 4). Ever since I started the program, I have experienced some nagging discomfort in my right shoulder--it's actually like a knot on the back of my shoulder blade (on the inner part, closer to the spine), but I also have some feelings of discomfort along the right collarbone as well.

Up until now, I haven't been able to connect the problem with a specific exercise, but maybe it's related to the high pulls? Doing those two-handed, with heavy weights, and coming on to the toes definitely feels a bit odd to me (even though I'm fine with doing one-arm kettlebell high pulls). The high pulls only appear in Strength Workout #1 of Phase 1, and I only have one time left to do that one (tomorrow), but maybe I will try subbing the kettlebell high pulls instead.

I do think I am going to need to be willing to do more substitutions if I want to continue with this program--I haven't liked most of the core work, and all of the moves on the hands are starting to really bother my wrists. :(