Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   High Intensity Exercise may be Dangerous - Link to Article (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=191945)

Negin 04-17-13 04:06 AM

High Intensity Exercise may be Dangerous - Link to Article

Thought to share this. The older I get, the more I realize that I should really and truly stick with Leslie Sansone, yoga, swimming, etc. Now and again, I start to doubt myself and think that I need to do heavy-duty cardio like I did when I was younger. No more. I really need to stop doubting myself. High-intensity will aggravate the knee problems that I already have and may worsen hypertension, etc. I just don't think that it's good for me anymore. I have to admit that now and again, I miss my daily runs, but then common sense kicks in.

Lucky Star 04-17-13 06:09 AM

This will no doubt become a thread of mixed opinions. There were a number of variables at play in this situation, and Andrew Marr may be one of the exceptions that prove the rule. We can't know everything in his case. And the HIIT protocol demonstrated in the program The Truth About Exercise used a bike, not a rowing machine. That, too, could make an important difference. However, any kind of major physical exertion carries risks. A friend of mine had a TIA episode while working with heavy kettlebells. I'm not claiming that kettlebells cause TIAs; in his case he had a tiny hole in his heart (of which he was unaware) that forced a small clot through. But you never know.

I have total respect for our super strong, amazingly athletic VFers. But I've never been very athletic and have always been a believer in moderation. I lift weights but not huge ones (I avoid very heavy exertions), and I don't like strength training moves that imo are too fast or, especially, jerky. 'Metabolic' workouts are not my style and are too risky for my joint issues. In terms of cardio, I walk rather than run, and try to limit my occasional high impact stuff on a rebounder. I've never liked puke-in-a-bucket workouts and I believe there is tremendous value in moderate exercise. (I am working on the moderate eating. ;) The two combined would be, imo, the healthiest combination.)

Helen 04-17-13 06:31 AM

I've lived by the "everything in moderation" notion for years, but with 'including moderation itself' meaning that it does us good to lash out and be excessive, but only now and then.

Way too much food at Christmas, too much alcohol once or twice a year, thoroughly exhaustive exercise too - only now and then. I'm not enamoured with the rash of Dr. Tabata influenced workouts being done on a regular basis. The research appently shows one can raise one's VO2max, but doing them consistently, I believe, is going to be harmful. The guy on The Truth-About Exercise didn't follow the protocol for an extended period of time.

It'd be interesting to know how long the benefits last, as an indicator of how frequently, or rarely, is best advised for maximal benefit with minimal harm.

Maybe one month, once a year, twice the most?

How long are the rotations for series like Insanity?

Negin 04-18-13 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky Star (Post 2216773)
I have total respect for our super strong, amazingly athletic VFers. But I've never been very athletic and have always been a believer in moderation. I lift weights but not huge ones (I avoid very heavy exertions), and I don't like strength training moves that imo are too fast or, especially, jerky. 'Metabolic' workouts are not my style and are too risky for my joint issues. In terms of cardio, I walk rather than run, and try to limit my occasional high impact stuff on a rebounder. I've never liked puke-in-a-bucket workouts and I believe there is tremendous value in moderate exercise. (I am working on the moderate eating. ;) The two combined would be, imo, the healthiest combination.)

Love this. I used to be a "puke-in-the-bucket" type (not literally, however :D). Now, it seems, that it just doesn't feel right for my body. I miss running every morning, but my body doesn't like it. I think, that for me anyway, the older I get, the more moderation seems to be the wiser approach. I also love rebounding.

dela 04-18-13 08:22 AM

Something definitely changed with me over the past year or so, I just hit a wall mentally and physically during this challenge class I was taking at the gym last year, I was so burned out I felt like I was being forced to workout, and there was a time I LOVED going to that class, and then instead of just stopping, I tacked on another class in addition thinking I would get through my funk, ended up really disliking it, and then injured my back again.

I think now, this back thing will always be here, and the super fast super high intensity is definitely no good for it. I still get in some intense stuff like my heavy bag classes, and just stay cautious on burpees and other similar activities.

I have come to terms that I need to scale it back, and just take a different approach to exercise, but I am still learning what is going to work and what is not for me. I have been exploring more stuff like Ellen (didn't work out), and even the new dance dvd by Christi Taylor (love that, want more), Ivy Larson (great), and currently doing the Drop 2 Sizes series, which I think is perfect for me right now. Oh yeah, most of the XTrain dvds were really good for me too, I found the cardio "easier" than past Cathe and just modified the few leaning down moves that could aggravate my back (I did not even try the Tabata one).

cataddict 04-18-13 09:03 AM

Yes, I think there will be a variety of opinions about this. The article addressed "extreme exertion" and that in itself is opinion as to what that means. I'm by no stretch a marathoner, but I like my version of intense, sometimes high impact, sometimes not, exercise program. That hasn't changed much for me over the years, but I don't consider what I do "extreme" nor would I be satisfied with what I would call "quieter" workouts like yoga or pilates. Heaven knows I've tried to love them and wish I could!

On a side note, ANY physical exertion can be dangerous.

Mandy 04-18-13 12:11 PM

"Although moderate exercise is undoubtedly better than no exercise, experts are beginning to warn that excessive, sustained and unsupervised exercise can cause problems."

Thanks for posting. For me, I had to stop doing interval type workout including Tabata and HiiT because it was taxing my adrenal system. I also wore a heartrate monitor and a few times, my heartrate went from interval 160-171(the max) to 203. There are a lot of other stresses in my life that have made my health decline but now that I read this article, I'm thinking that all the high intensity intervals may be linked to my auto immune disorder. Immune dysfunction from prolonged cortisol release is a significant factor in triggering an autoimmune response. I think the part in the article where it said "unsupervised" may be addressing home exercisers? I think we are our own personal trainers unless we are following some other rotation. For me, I was doing way too much Tabata or CrossFire or interval training. I had no one to say, "that's too much, you better back off." I'm thankful I didn't get injured but I do have auto immune disorder and have to give my adrenal glands more gentle and shorter workouts.

With Turbo Fire, the TF rotation has a lot of HiiT training everyday.

On another note, I noticed that Cathe's Xtrain rotation only has 1 Tabata a week. And when it came to interval's, Cathe said to put 2 days in between before doing another interval type workout.

I think moderation is the key. I love VF community!

cataddict 04-18-13 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandy (Post 2217384)
"Although moderate exercise is undoubtedly better than no exercise, experts are beginning to warn that excessive, sustained and unsupervised exercise can cause problems."

I think this says it all!! Thanks for posting.

metalbarbie 04-18-13 01:57 PM

I like to run on the treadmill like Drago in Rocky IV. :D

Pratima 04-18-13 02:33 PM

It seems part of the debate is the definition of intensity. From the article:
They cited research that tracked the heart health of 50,000 people over 30 years: the 14,000 runners in the study were likely to live longer than non-exercisers, but only if they ran between five and 20 miles a week, not more.
I took up running recently (I'll be 40 next month) and only do about 10 miles a week. But for me, it's pretty intense exercise compared to what I've done before. Everyone mentioned in the article had some sort of unknown condition or extenuating circumstance (e.g. the drug mentioned) so it's tough to draw any solid conclusions.

As always, YMMV and you should do what works for YOU. Which, I've learned can easily vary over a lifetime.