Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Cathe Perfect 30 Reviews (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=229673)

Kathy G 10-23-20 08:42 AM

Cathe Perfect 30 Reviews

:heart: I thought I would start the review thread so everyone that ordered can contribute (and give info for others who didn't order or are still waiting). :)

This morning I did the Perfect Pump Lower Body + Pump Lower Body Bonus.

Equipment needed:
High Step (or regular step with four risers)
Dumbbells: 12 lb, 15 lb, 20 lb, 25 lb, 30 lb, and one 40 lb. (this is what Cathe and crew used, you can use what's appropriate for you for each exercise).
(2) small weight plates - used to elevate your heels or toes for a couple of exercises
Green band with handles - only used in the PLB Bonus

Each exercise is done for one set with a rep range of 12 or 10 reps (except the calf raises at the end).

Warmup was a combo of squats, side lunges, etc. without weights and then she has you do two sets of squats, deadlifts, and pulse lunges starting with 12 lb. dumbbells for the first set and 15 lb. dumbbells for the second set.

Exercises in the main workout:
Squats - 25 lbs.
Static Lunge Each Side - 20 lbs.
Deadlifts - 30 lbs.
Pick Up Squats - 40 lb.
Elevated Lunge (4 risers) - 15 lbs.
Explosive Non Weighted Lunge on same side
Elevated Lunge (4 risers) - 15 lbs.
Explosive Non Weighted Lunge on same side
Deadlifts with Toes Elevated with plates - 30 lbs.
Heels Elevated with Plates Front Squat - 15 lbs.
Step Ups Each Side (4 risers) - 15 lbs.
Single Leg Deadlifts Each Side - 30 lbs.
Front Lunges with One Dumbbell - Each side - 15 lbs.
Close Grip Squat - 40 lb.
Squat Crossover Lunges with One Dumbbell (1 riser) - 15 lb.
Forward Leaning Glute Lunges Each Side (1 riser) - 15 lb.
Cossack Squat (rotating side leaning lunges)- 12 lb.
Calf Raises - Drop Sets with 25 lb. Dumbbells (sets of 25, 20, 15)

Exercises in the PLB Bonus:
Hamstring Presses/Pulses Each Side - 10 lbs.
Outer Thigh Presses/Pulses with Green Band with Handles
Banded Glute Squeezes on step (3 risers) with Green Band with Handles - Each Side

Thoughts:
I LOVED this workout! There is only one set of each exercise but they are either squats, deadlift, or lunge variations so you feel pretty worked out in the end. I really like the heavier weights too, it gives a good burn without so many reps. The PLB Bonus was a real butt burner, lol. Perfect addition at the end of the standing portion. Winner, winner Chicken Dinner! :music:

kittybug 10-23-20 10:01 AM

Excellent thorough review! Thank you so much for this. Can't wait to see more reviews!! :D

Crescent Moon 10-23-20 10:27 AM

Thank you for your thorough review. The Pump DVD is the only one one I ordered and it sounds like I wonít be disappointed. I will probably order the yoga/mobility workout through Mary.

momofcha 10-23-20 01:29 PM

Thank you for the review!

owltx 10-23-20 03:16 PM

Thanks for the awesome thorough review! Now I am totally looking forward to this bandwork bonus!

ncl 10-23-20 05:23 PM

I did the Pump Upper Body workout and here is my review.

Equipment: full sized step with 4 risers each side, various weights, band (Cathe and crew use one with handles on each end).

The exercises are grouped by body part, rep range is 8-12 but usually 10 reps for each exercise with the exception of the tricep dips which have a lot of reps

Exercises:
warmup (which uses the band some)

BACK
Pullover warmup set
Pullovers
1 arm rows
bent over clutch rows
band posture pulls
toss row
BICEPS
sweeper curls
clutch curls
drops sets (3 sets)
SHOULDER
incline front, V and lateral raise
lateral raise
scarecrow
push press
bottle ropes
CHEST
incline bench press
incline push press
fly with leg extension
pushups with alternating leg lift
TRICEPS
overhead extension
banded kickbacks
kickbacks
tricep pushups
tricep dips (lots of reps here, multiple sets)

Felt like a good solid workout. I think I will be sore. I like this one and will use it regularly!

hdw 10-23-20 05:49 PM

Thanks for the review. Just realized that downloads are now available. I must have missed the announcement...

fanofladyvols 10-23-20 06:21 PM

Perfect 30 Guide

Just saw this

https://cathe.com/perfect30guide/

bubbles76 10-23-20 07:18 PM

Low Impact Hiit - First Impression

I completed Low Impact HiiT today. It's definitely "low" and not "no" impact, but it is easily modified to be no impact or high impact. Cathe was definitely having fun. The music was fine; I liked the music in Fit Split better but it had a good beat and some vocals. My knees feel fine, but it will take a few days to tell for sure. I actually feel it more in my feet lol! I feel my feet need a rub down. I didn't do the bonus stretch or cardio.

bee 10-23-20 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fanofladyvols (Post 2895223)

I got the XTrain user's guide when I clicked. :confused: Trying again....

bee 10-23-20 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bee (Post 2895233)

The second time I clicked on the box below the picture and got the right guide. When I clicked on the picture is when I got the Xtrain guide.

adawn 10-23-20 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bee (Post 2895233)

If you click on the "start download" button, you get the the Perfect30 user guide. If you click the picture, you get the xtrain user guide.

fanofladyvols 10-23-20 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adawn (Post 2895239)
If you click on the "start download" button, you get the the Perfect30 user guide. If you click the picture, you get the xtrain user guide.

I never clicked on a picture...but I don't see anything but a start download button.

adawn 10-23-20 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fanofladyvols (Post 2895245)
I never clicked on a picture...but I don't see anything but a start download button.

Hmmmm...

Here's what I see when I follow the link:

When I click on the orange button, I get the correct perfect30 guide. When I click the user guide cover image above it, I get the xtrain guide. Kind of weird because I believe the digital xtrain guide is one Cathe normally charges $$ for and is not normally free so I can't imagine they wanted to link to it.

gigi 10-24-20 08:33 AM

I previewed the Upper Body with Upper Body Bonus and extended stretch premix and instead of the upper body bonus exercises being at the end, the bonus exercises are interspersed throughout the premix.:love:

gigi 10-24-20 12:30 PM

I just finished the Lower Body Workout, Lower Body Bonus, and the Extended Stretch. I tried to do the premix but all the premixes are not working correctly yet on streaming. I'm just glad the workouts were available so quickly to streaming subscribers.

Kathy did a great review so I will tell you what I enjoyed about this workout:
1. No dread factor and I don't think there will be due to the length and the varied exercises without doing multiple sets and reps of the same exercise.
2. I enjoyed using heavier weights and this will be one to grow with and increase weight load.
3. The pacing was nice yet I was sweating and got my heart rate up.
4. Cathe gives a few form pointers that remind even seasoned exercisers to feel the work and to be watchful of bad habits we can easily slide into (slamming foot down instead of feeling all the work).
5. The Bonus was a nice finisher.
6. The Extended Stretch exercises were nothing new but it was lovely to take time with each stretch and not rush from stretch to stretch. The music is nic and relaxing as well.
7. This is the first series besides MBF and MBFA that I have been excited about in a long time. I look forward to trying the other workouts.:music:

cecififi 10-24-20 01:39 PM

I did Cathe's new mobility workout today and her abs bonus workout. I really enjoyed them both. I needed a rest day today so this was a really good stretch for me.

jbrigid 10-24-20 03:06 PM

I don't know about you all, but I I don't have 40lb dumbbells at my place. Do you?

Erica H. 10-24-20 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrigid (Post 2895373)
I don't know about you all, but I I don't have 40lb dumbbells at my place. Do you?

I do. They are my heaviest ones. But I didn't order Perfect Pump and now I'm regretting it.

Erica

JackieB 10-24-20 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cecififi (Post 2895370)
I did Cathe's new mobility workout today and her abs bonus workout. I really enjoyed them both. I needed a rest day today so this was a really good stretch for me.

I actually ordered this dvd. Looking forward to trying it.

Kathy G 10-24-20 04:56 PM

Quote:

I was fortunate to make a trade for a set of 40 lb. dumbbells from a former coworker a few years ago. I had bought a new coated dumbbell set when Walmart had a great sale. I had duplicate pairs of 25, 10, and 5 lb. dumbbells. We did a swap because he wanted lighter weights for a program he was doing.

laurajhawk 10-24-20 06:46 PM

Quote:

I have one 35 - from when DH did P90X with me. But I donít usually match Catheís weights anyhow. Iím pretty sure I have what Iíll want to use. 😉

counterclockwise 10-24-20 09:06 PM

Just did the lower body and lower body bonus, though there were a couple glitches (using On Demand). I thought it was a good workout and liked the heavy weights. I think it will work best for me that way, but I could see using lighter weights and a big increase in ROM and still getting a good workout. I liked how exercises aren’t repeated and really liked the bonus. It will be a good add-on to other workouts. And I always love when she gives us some calf work!

counterclockwise 10-24-20 09:13 PM

Quote:

The heaviest I have are 20lbs and then I have a barbell. For the LB workout pick up squats where you set the dumbbell down, I put one foot on my high step topper, my other foot on my step topper, and used a 16 kg kettlebell, setting it down on the floor between the toppers so I could still squat down pretty low.

ncl 10-24-20 09:55 PM

I am not sure I could life 45lbs to do anything. I think that is impressive! My highest DB weight is 25lbs and I think that is pretty darn heavy. I thought Cathe's weights for the upper body pump were very impressive!

FitBoop 10-25-20 12:52 AM

I did Pump Upper Body and the Bonus Core and Stretch. It's great when you want a short upper body strength workout that doesn't have a lot of sets and reps of each exercise. Cathe goes very heavy on some of the exercises (like 35 pound dumbbells :eek:). Cathe does some new and unique exercises on this DVD. I will definitely try this one again.

ChelePA 10-25-20 07:29 AM

Copied from my check in:

First I want to say that I love the background! I chose the low impact hiit plus bonus. Followed by the leg and core bonus. I wrapped it up with the extended stretch. I really liked the Low Impact Hiit including the music. I feel like you could easily increase or decrease the intensity for this one. The lower you go the more burn in your legs. It definitely tested my coordination on a few of the moves too. The bonus using the step was a nice add on but not hiit level for me. It's basic moves using the pyramid method. Definitely gets the heart rate up for certain exercises but doesn't leave you breathless. The floor work for the bonus legs was a nice butt burner. And the core had unique moves that I think fits well with this series. The extended stretch is nothing new...just a nice total body stretch with the moves held a little longer.

cecififi 10-25-20 08:08 AM

I also did the upper body workout today. I added it onto a jumpropefit jump rope/biceps workout from youtube. this workout was goooooood. wow. moved fast, little to no breaks, sweatfest. I couldn't keep up with her weights/reps in most segments. This is an excellent workout.

Jennifer P. 10-25-20 08:19 AM

I did the strength and flexibility yoga workout. It is definitely different from the other yoga workouts I have, but I felt like it was a "sampler" type of compilation of different workouts and it didn't really give me enough of anything to be effective. I was tired, though, and in a bad mood, so YMMV.

LindaL 10-25-20 10:34 AM

I did Low Impact Hiit plus the Hiit Bonus. I haven't worked out with Cathe for a long time, so I found this to be a challenging workout, but doable. I love the set and I think Cathe looks fantastic! She also seems to be in a great mood and her banter is perfect.

I agree with ChelePA that the bonus isn't killer, but it was fun because it incorporates some moves from past videos, like long hop turns, which I like. Cathe mentions that you could do all the moves on the floor, which could make this a good one to take with you if you are travelling. I started the bonus with just my step and then added 1 riser once it was time to go back down the pyramid.

darbyndoug 10-25-20 10:35 AM

I did the lower body, and it felt great to get the job done nicely in a half hour. I used much lighter weights, as I normally do, and look forward to hopefully upping the weights in the future, as my body allows.

I've been working out with Cathe workouts for, oh, think almost two decades now...and have never been disappointed. Thanks Cathe!

Joni O 10-25-20 10:52 AM

I'm very proud of myself. I mustered all my patience and did 21 minutes of Mobility Basics before I Joni-O'd it this morning. I have many other DVDs that work on my mobility in a less cumbersome, more flowing and enjoyable manner. Sorry, Cathe.

sherry7899 10-25-20 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joni O (Post 2895478)
I'm very proud of myself. I mustered all my patience and did 21 minutes of Mobility Basics before I Joni-O'd it this morning. I have many other DVDs that work on my mobility in a less cumbersome, more flowing and enjoyable manner. Sorry, Cathe.

If you are looking to trade or are listing it on vf roost I am interested. :D

momofcha 10-25-20 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joni O (Post 2895478)

I surprised myself and Joni-oíEd this one quicker than you. I really had high hopes for this one

sherry7899 10-25-20 11:09 AM

Sue, what didn't you like about it?

red1013 10-25-20 11:14 AM

I did the Low Impact HiiT this morning. I wasn't even interested in this workout, but I didn't hate it! I did have to modify due to some ankle issues (it's definitely not as low impact as say Leslie/Jessica). It went by really quick, nothing seemed too repetitive. I did the regular stretch, it was ok, but I'd probably prefer the extended stretch.

Hsim 10-25-20 11:29 AM

I did the mishmosh premix upper and lower body which clocks in around 55 minutes and I really enjoyed it. This is a workout you can really take you time and go nice and heavy.
Of course I cannot use the same weights as Cathe but I used the heaviest I had available which is a 12 lb weight on some exercises and 10 lb on the rest except for the exercises that used light weights. I would love to get some heavier weights but they are so hard to find right now and very expensive.

Pam 10-25-20 01:40 PM

I did the Low Impact Hiit and enjoyed the workout. The music, when I noticed, was good and I liked the scenery. Some new moves!

I paused the workout about half way through for a couple minutes, and was unable to restart the DVD. Had to unplug the player to get to get it to restart. Anyone else have this problem or is it my machine?

juliel 10-25-20 02:20 PM

I have put the HiiT dvd on VF Roost.,

Joni O 10-25-20 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherry7899 (Post 2895479)
If you are looking to trade or are listing it on vf roost I am interested. :D

I need to try the yoga first (so expect to hear from me later this week). Just kidding; I might actually like it.