Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   Challenges and Check-ins (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Watulan Fierce Deities of 2021! All are welcome!! (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=230107)

kittybug 01-08-21 03:18 PM

Goodness gracious, FN2!!!! I'm SO relieved and pleased to hear all is well with Tank and Big Orange. How scary that must have been! I hate the upper respiratory stuff. Lux gets pneumonia at least once per year because of his rocky start early in life and always requires two antibiotics. :( I keep L-Lysine treats on hand at all times for him and Cheeto who are what I call 'herpes' cats due to their repeated URIs. I had a cat five cats ago that was also similarly afflicted, and he sometimes sneezed blood if he got a bacterial thing on top of a viral outbreak. Big hugs to you, Tank, and the Big Orange (and your hubby too)!! :heart:

Yes, FN2, I've really enjoyed this week 'off'...gearing up for the final Mess!! Kinda skeered!

KateTT, thank you for that Eoin share!! Wow!

Bee, Imax Extreme is I think another one of those 'used to have dread factor and no longer does' workouts for me because I've simply done it so much that now it doesn't faze me! Speaking of that...

I was wondering if you all agree. I'm finding that the more familiar with any workout I get, the less dread it has, and I'm curious if it's a 'knowing what comes next or what to expect' thing versus actual physical conditioning? I'm almost feeling like it's more mental than anything for me and that's very interesting! Thoughts?

Today I'm planning on trying out the Happy Hour practice from Travis on YouTube. Hope it's yummy. Stay fierce, Watulans!!! Hugs all the way around! :heart::sun:

Garrie A. 01-08-21 04:12 PM

Happy Friday! I went back to my other job on Monday, and it's been crazy.

Monday and Tuesday I tried Perfect Pump, doing upper body on Monday and lower body Tuesday. Usually I do longer workouts but since time was short those days, they were perfect. I enjoyed them, and they packed a lot into 30 minutes. For the upper body, I was able to match Cathe on some exercises and had to go lighter on others. There were a few times I could've went heavier, but overall I chose my weights well. I had a nice afterburn in my back :love:, shoulders, and triceps. The lower body was okay, although I will increase my weights next time and/or use a weighted vest. I did have a little extra time that day and also added the "Tone That Th@$$" segment from Wimberlean.

Wednesday was an unplanned rest day, because I was wiped out. Butt my energy came back on Thursday because I ended up pulling out Pyramid Upper Body, and I'm definitely feeling it today. I went heavier than Cathe on a few exercises (all back exercises and tricep kickbacks in particular). But I will be honest; when it came time for biceps I had to drop down at the 8 rep set because I was dying. My biceps are my weak area.

I'll be back later with personals and my workout of choice. Waves all!

Garrie A. 01-08-21 09:11 PM

I ended up doing two BBL workouts back-to-back: Bum Bum followed by High & Tight. Whenever I used to do these workouts I used to do them separately but now that I'm much stronger I do them together. I remember Bum Bum used to leave me walking funny the next day. Wonder how I'll feel tomorrow...:confused: I finished with Day 4 of The Firm's 5-Day Stretch.

Bee: I have several of Ilaria's workouts. So far I've only done Powerstrike Millennium 3 and Powerstrike 6. I liked them both, although I found PS6 a little hard to follow because it seemed as if Ilaria would only cue the combo once or twice and then I was on my own. Gosh, I haven't done Supersets in forever and a day. Maybe since I started getting and doing Cathe's workouts about four years ago?

Manleym: I like the Hardcore series but not all of them. The GymStyles and Muscle Max are my favorites in the series. (Butt then again I :love: lifting weights.) IMAX 3 was ok, but it had a little too much high impact for my taste and the recovery periods seemed nonexistent.

Thanks for the welcome KateTT! You are a warrior! MBF looks interesting, but I like the older Beachbody workouts. I've toyed the idea of doing a mini Body Beast or P90X rotation but not to the letter. On New Year's Day I did Great Glutes Extreme and :love:ed it. My glutes felt stapled together afterwards!

Kim: Step Appeal was my first experience with Patrick. I rented it from Netflix and disliked (but not hated) it. A fellow VFer gifted it to me two years ago but I still have PTSD from it. I've tried two of Patrick's other step workouts (B.E.S.T and Step Up) and enjoyed them, so I'll eventually get to Step Appeal again. Now that I'm a choreography junkie I think I'll have better luck catching on.

Cataddict: Glad the knee is better, and great news from the vet! I like Turbo Fire although I can only take Chalene in small doses. Two years ago I did ChaLean Extreme but bailed on the last week of the program because I was burned out. :(

ChelePA, that is scary about your mom. My mom had to go to the hospital last month due to a COPD flare-up. We thought she had COVID, and the doctor thought it might've been a blood clot. :eek:

ChelePA 01-08-21 09:56 PM

The saga continues with my mom. Three more people tested positive for Covid. That is six people out of approximately 25 staff members. I need to find out more information before I decide if my mom should return to work on Monday. Although it’s really not my decision, as you all know she’s pretty stubborn. Hoping I can talk some sense into her.

I had a rough night of sleep and thought I might take a rest day. While waiting for a prescription to be filled, I was reading your posts. You all inspired me to follow through with our Friday workout. Especially since I chose it :D I love Imax Extreme! I think it’s just fun cardio. No dread factor despite the length.

Kittybug-I agree the more I get to know a workout, the more I enjoy it. And Bee those plié squat jumps at the end are always a killer.

Cataddict-so glad everything is OK. What a relief!

I will catch up more with the posts tomorrow. I’m off to bed to hopefully get some good sleep. Who’s going to make the decision for fun Friday this upcoming week? Can’t wait to hear the choice!

lavna 01-09-21 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChelePA (Post 2906796)
The saga continues with my mom. Three more people tested positive for Covid. That is six people out of approximately 25 staff members. I need to find out more information before I decide if my mom should return to work on Monday. Although it’s really not my decision, as you all know she’s pretty stubborn. Hoping I can talk some sense into her.

I hope everything turns out well for your mom. The number of cases in this company is scary. Convincing our parents to be careful is not always easy.

Mickey12 01-09-21 10:10 AM

Cataddict I’m very glad to hear that Big Orange and Tank didn’t have anything seriously wrong. The sneezing blood thing would have definitely had me worried. But it’s somewhat comforting to know from Kittybug that she has had experience with it and it can be from infections.

Bee I felt the way you did at the end of IMAX Extreme. I was physically tired but also mentally tired and I also flummoxed some of the footwork at the end. I think my brain was done! :D

Garrie you mentioned going back to your second job this week. I was wondering if the Community Center where you teach has been open. Is that the job you returned to?

Also BBL is Brazilian Butt Lift, right? I have been so curious about that set. I almost bought it a couple of times but never pulled the trigger. I have the Beach Body You Volume 2 set, so I have a feel for Leandro as an instructor. Maybe next time I get on a buying spree, I will get it.

Yes, you definitely need to do Patrick’s Step Appeal again. I know you can get the choreography! It’s tricky but not impossible and it’s fun!

Kittybug to answer your question about the dread of a workout - I don’t generally do workouts repeatedly in a short time frame. So I tend to forget the specifics but I remember whether I liked it or not. So if I found it hard, my dread never really goes away! Maybe if I tried your method that would change.

ChelePA so scary about your mom’s employment. If you can talk her into it, I think she should stay home. Oh I hope you can.

You guys talking about Cathe Live have had me looking at her website. I can’t believe I was contemplating it. I don’t like streaming at all. I think the idea has passed. :p

I haven’t decided what workout I will do today. It’s still early. :)

ChelePA 01-09-21 12:32 PM

Today was my last day using the Fit Split Series. I did the bonus abs first then legs and glutes. That bonus should really be labeled total body bonus. Haha. I find it tough especially if I do it at the end of a workout. My form is so much better in the beginning. No matter how many times I do it, it really challenges me. Also I find this lower body workout packs a punch in a short amount of time. My legs were wobbly at the end. I finished with my January challenge of burpees, planks and core exercises only doing 1 round today then used a Caroline Jordan YouTube foam roller stretch.

Garrie—I’m also curious where you are teaching. I miss my YMCA days. Especially my cycling classes! So many different instructors with such awesome music! Hoping I can return next year. I just don’t feel comfortable wearing a mask for that type of class.

Kim you know you want to join everybody with Cathe live. :D:D:D I still haven’t signed up. Maybe I’ll take the time this weekend to register.

bee 01-09-21 02:06 PM

Hello all! Today is Surprise Saturday, but it wasn't much of a surprise.... I really wanted to finish the Body Blast series, so I did Legs & Glutes. I mostly really like that workout -- I hadn't done it in a very long time, so I had forgotten.

kittybug, I think a big part of adjusting to workouts is mental -- there's definitely some physical adaption involved, but the dread, for me anyway, is more of a mental thing and the more I do it the more I realize it's not so bad. Maybe the ones I dread so much have a problem of being so physically demanding that I haven't done them enough to get over the mental hump. :o

manleym, I'm thinking about doing Powerstrike 5 on Wednesday this week -- does that work with your schedule? Anyone else who has it want to join us? I'm a little worried about Gary's comment on #6. I have a feeling that may be why I gave up on Powerstrikes. I hope I can follow when I get to it.

I'm starting the Hardcore series next and thinking about doing one of the Hardcore Extreme workouts tomorrow for Slogging Sunday. Not sure I've ever done one of those! If I have, it's been a very long time.

cataddict, interesting that you also have some twinges after Cathe's kickboxing -- that's three of us. I also don't fault her -- she makes some really fun kickboxing workouts! I just know I have to be aware of what they do to me.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

manleym 01-09-21 02:18 PM

Hi Friends!

I'm glad most of us were able to do IMax Extreme either Thursday or yesterday. It was so much FUN! I have to be honest and say that I was not looking forward to it. Yesterday was Full Friday at work, with alot of deadline/time sensitive stuff so it was non-stop all day. I had to work late, I was tired, and I knew IMax Extreme was long. But I remembered my fierce friends, came home, and did it anyway. And I was so glad! I would have missed out on a GREAT workout! So thanks friends, for doing a workout with me on the same day! It really motivates me! :D

I think Gauntlet is my favorite, then IMax Extreme and Viper. But I'm going to have to give Viper another chance. I was tired and fatigued when I did it, so it felt hard to me. And it's supposedly the easiest on of the 3. So I think it was a me thing and not the workout.

Cataddict I'm so glad nothing was terribly wrong with your furbabies. Gald it was just an infection and Kittybug has some experience with how to treat them. That was scary! Great news that your knee is better! YAY! Glad you joined us yesterday for IMax Extreme. Oh, what are ya'll watching on Passport? We just finished Hinterland series and are looking for something new.

KateTT Great Glutes is one of my favs! In fact I like all of the workouts from the 2013 series. 58 is way too young to stop! I wanna keep going as long as I can. You can definitely handle Terminator. Agree with Bee that they are more endurance based workouts and stamina is a huge part of getting through them. But they are FUN and so worth doing!

Bee YES I was tired after doing IMax Extreme! But those 2 intervals /blasts from IMax 2 ALWAYS make me tired. My air jacks and plyo jacks are pretty puny. I didn't have time for extra stretching yesterday so I'm hoping to do some today.

Kittybug, yes I agree that the more familiar I am with a workout the less dread it has. I'm guess it's a muscle memory/mental thing more than physical conditioning, although I've revisited workouts that were hard the first couple of times and aren't so much anymore. That would be due to physical conditioning, right? How was Travis's Happy Hour practice?

ChelePA I'm so sorry this saga is dragging out with your mom and her work place. That is just so not right and so very frustrating! I'm not sure I remember the bonus stuff from Fit Split so I may need to revisit.

So what are we doing next Friday for Fun Friday? :sun:

manleym 01-09-21 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bee (Post 2906904)
manleym, I'm thinking about doing Powerstrike 5 on Wednesday this week -- does that work with your schedule? Anyone else who has it want to join us? I'm a little worried about Gary's comment on #6. I have a feeling that may be why I gave up on Powerstrikes. I hope I can follow when I get to it.

Yes! Let's plan on Powerstrikes 5 on Wednesday! :D

Garrie A. 01-09-21 02:27 PM

Ok Kim, I gave Step Appeal another try this morning. Now? I absolutely LOVED it! :love: This time I didn't have that much trouble catching on, and the choreography was an absolute blast. It's a tie between this one and B.E.S.T as my favorite Patrick step. I still have to try Not Your Momma's Step and Step My Way.

ChelePA: I teach at a local fitness center. When April comes I'll have been there two years. Funny story on how I got the job...I decided in 2019 to study for the AFAA exam and decided to try a live step class. It was taught by the fitness director (my boss and one of my new friends), and I had no trouble catching onto the choreography (some of which was very Cathe-ish: Salute Squat and Power 7's anyone?). I almost asked if she had heard of Cathe. She then asked if I had any interest in becoming an instructor. Then I told her about me studying for the AFAA exam, and she replied by telling me to go down to the front desk and ask for an application. I applied, and then a week later got the callback. In my interview I mentioned Cathe, and my boss and I had a total fangirl moment. I auditioned by doing some hi-lo, and got the job. The rest is history! I'm still thinking of your Mom. IMHO she should stay home.

Kim: My second job is part-time assistant manager at a community college bookstore. I've been there for four years. Started out as a temp, then a limited part-time position, and now assistant manager. Currently we are in spring semester rush, after coming back from Christmas break. Due to COVID we are only filling out online orders, and not letting students in. The campus is also closed to the public. Yes, BBL is Brazil Butt Lift.

Kittybug: To answer your question, I don't usually do the same workout repeatedly over a period of time. I'm a variety junkie. The only time I do workouts repeatedly are strength workouts in order to track my gains over a period of time. Cardio is a different story. When it comes to complex choreography, my rule is that if the third time isn't the charm (to clarify: if I can't get 90-100% by the third try), then the workout gets shelved. And I don't do workouts with a high dread factor. Life's too short to not enjoy your workouts. Butt that's just my philosophy. ;)

Bee: I love Legs & Glutes and according to my workout card haven't done it since May of last year. My favorite Cathe lower body is Butts & Guts.

Mickey12 01-09-21 03:44 PM

Bee I’ll join you and Manley on Wednesday with Powerstrike 5. I may do some of the Hardcore (and Hardcore Extreme) workouts with you as well.

It’s a beautiful sunny day here so my husband and I went for a walk. It felt great to be outside. I posted a picture in my album. I like the combination of sun and snow, so pretty!

horusosiris 01-09-21 06:34 PM

Hello All

Just a quick note today. I have been super busy between preparing for the new semester and doing some major organization and clean up around the house. I will catch up tomorrow.

I did Cathe Live 328 Boxing Hiit Express today an an ES Leg workout. I enjoyed the Cathe Live. It is more boxing inspired than straight boxing. This will be a go to express workout when I want a quick cardio workout.

Manley, Bee and Mickey- I will join the three of you on Wed and do Power Strike 5

Garrie- I really like Step Appeal too!

Happy Sunday to All!

kittybug 01-09-21 09:14 PM

Happy Saturday, Watulans!!

Today was kind of Chore Max and Organize Max as my husband got a wild hair and started, well, purging and organizing some stuff. He thinks we need to get a new refrigerator (um, we do) and move the old one out into the garage for storage purposes, so we had to make the room in the event we follow through with this plan ~before~ our fridge dies.

Garrie, OMG, you made me laugh so hard with your 'stapled together' bum comment!!!! And I love your story about getting the teaching job. So awesome! Hey, was that the original Intensity Series Pyramid Upper? That is still, to this day, hands down, one of my absolute favorite killer UB workouts. Love it! :love:

ChelePA, I agree that your mom really needs to NOT to go work if she can. Six out of 25 is a high percentage of infection, in my opinion, and not worth it! I hope you can convince her.

Nathalie, any news on your father yet?

Kim, you know you wanna join Cathe Live. BTW, I checked out your pics of you and your husband...what an adorable lovely couple you two are!!! I love your pictures! But dang, it looked so snowy and cold on your walk, eek!! Yeah, I'm a snow wimp, I admit it. :o I grew up in the snow so now I can't stand it, hah! :o

Bee, you nailed it on the dread factor and put into words what I couldn't seem to...realizing something is 'not so bad'....but that's where I fail is when I get overwhelmed and won't re-try something to get to that point! So maybe it's part physical and part mental with the mental part playing a bigger factor than I realized. That's why I've got this list of 'to be conquered' workouts right now I'm trying to convince myself aren't that bad and to try again in my exploration of that theory, hah!!!

Manleym, that 'Happy Hour' practice from Travis was AMAZING! I loved it, like, enough to make me (again) consider an Inner Dimension sub the next time they have a screaming deal on them. It's definitely one I'll revisit as long as it's on YouTube.

I am jealous of all of you doing Power Strike but alas, I don't have any of those, never have! Enjoy!!

Horusosiris, hang in there with the busy!! I also know how organizing around the house can be an incredible time suck. This might be the longest I've been in one place for a while and stuff just accumulates like crazy!!

Have a great rest of your weekend, Watulans!! Stay fierce!!! :love:

cataddict 01-09-21 11:13 PM

Happy Saturday, Watulans!

Today I did an old Cathe Live, #16 Hi Lo Cardio and Core. I didn't do the core work, but I continued with steady state cardio. Is it my imagination, or do some of the older Lives seem a bit more intense than the newer ones? This one was tougher than I thought it would be. I liked it a lot--many throw back cardio moves that I enjoyed. It may have seemed harder since my butt was sore from maybe doing BB 3 on Thursday and Imax Extreme on Friday?

I think that I have done Cardio and Weights and Imax 2 so many times that they don't even seem hard to me any more? I found I had trouble keeping my heart rate up this time, which I found surprising as this isn't an easy workout.

Both Big Orange and Tank are doing even better today. We weren't really worried about Big Orange. He has a history of respiratory infections, so we knew what the vet was going to say and what the treatment would be, including the specific antibiotic they would administer. Tank, however, had no symptoms until he sneezed blood and that drastically increased the chances that it could be more serious, particularly at his age (almost 15). We are so grateful it wasn't anything worse. :sun:

Garrie, glad you like Step Appeal! I love Patrick step. I think Step My Way is my favorite, but I like them all. Enjoy!

manley, we are catching up on old series that everyone else on earth has seen but us! We are in the middle of Season 5 of Poldark. I didn't realize my DH likes period dramas so I was surprised that he wanted to watch it. I've got a few other series in the queue after we finish Poldark, but not sure what will be next.

Chele, Fit Split is one of my favorite series! I usually double the cardio since it seems a bit short to me. I hope you can convince your mom to stay home. Her workplace seems pretty irresponsible not to take more precautions, particularly since the virus is spreading among their employees.

FN1, dare I say I'm not really looking forward to Mess 3? I would be highly tempted to call it a day if it weren't for you doing it too!!

horusosiris, I think I may add #328 to one of my Mess days next week if I can manage it. I play it by ear as to whether I do a quick cardio add on after STS.

Waves to Kate, FOLV, Nathalie and bee!

lavna 01-10-21 12:02 PM

Happy Sunday everyone!

FN1 and FN2: Good luck on strating Mess 3!!! You can do it!

Kittybug: I don't have any more info. Just that he needs to do more tests. I get the info through my mom but my dad doesn't tell her everything as she worries easily!

Kim: Instead of streaming, you could buy some downloads... (just saying! ;) :D)

Congrats to those who did Imax extreme!

I decided to take another rest day today. I'm still sore from my UB workout on Thursday dans feeling tired. I went for a 1-hr walk instead as it's a beautiful sunny day here.

Waves to all!
Nathalie

ChelePA 01-10-21 12:52 PM

Nathalie—continued prayers for your dad. I think it’s awesome that you take rest days as you need them. I was just coming here to ask others what they do on those days. I have a difficult time not exercising daily. Today was going to be my rest day. Instead I pulled out Step Sync since it’s pretty low key fun cardio. Also for the January challenge it was strictly abs. Oh my! This instructor has the most amazing core strength. I had to modify 50% of the moves. It was one minute of an exercise with 15 seconds rest in between. I was quite happy when it was over. Ha ha

Garrie— I so wish step classes were offered locally. It’s definitely my favorite!!! What a great story on how you became an instructor :heart.

Today I have puppy training class. Winston catches on pretty quickly -especially if his favorite treat is offered. :p

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!

horusosiris 01-10-21 03:17 PM

I did an ES leg workout yesterday and I am surprised that I am sore because I have done all of these exercises within the past few weeks. It consisted of:
Barbell Hip Thrust
Frog Stance Leg Press
SLDL (stiff-legged deadlift)
Banded Fire Hydrants
Leg Extensions

Today I did a Sleek barre technique class and a sleek stretching segment.

Lavna- I am sending good vibes to your dad. Taking a rest day is so very important and it is good that you listen to your body.

Garrie- I used to be a step diva. The more complex the choreography the more I enjoyed the class.

Chel- be sure to take some rest days! The body needs that as much as exercise. On my rest days I often do active stretching or go for walk.

Catdadict - the older Cathe Lives in many ways were more intense. This is especially so since she has been working out alone. With a class. she can take short breaks and walk around but alone she is usually working the whole time. She also has to do all of the counting whereas in the class others usually count for her.

bee 01-10-21 03:34 PM

Hello Watulans! I was not feeling fierce for Slogging Sunday..... I just could not get motivated to do Hardcore Extreme after IMAX Extreme on Friday. Sorry, Kim! But I will definitely start the series this week (do you know what order you'd go in?). This morning I worked myself into a tiny bit of a slog.... I started with a half hour walking workout and the slog part was a Mindy core workout with gliding disks. That went pretty well so I did the section with bender ball too. I think my core will be fairly sore tomorrow.

Glad to see a bunch of us will have a Powerstrike 5 party on Wednesday!

kittybug, if you feel like your fridge is dying it's very smart to do all that ChoreMax to make room for a fridge switch/addition. Also note that at least a few months ago it was pretty hard to find a new fridge, so you might want to start some research. So hard to live without a fridge!!

Chele, it's fun to hear about Winston and imagine him at training. Hoping you've been able to convince your mom not to go into the germ infested work!!

Nathalie, I'm also not a life subscriber, but I always forget I could buy some downloads -- thanks for the reminder. I get so overwhelmed with all the choices but there's such great feedback on the workouts here. Hope everything is ok with your dad. Too bad you're not sure if you're getting the full story, but I get it. Guys don't want to make their wives worry any more than we already do. :)

cataddict, glad to hear the kitties are doing even better! I have not made it through Poldark. I started it but for some reason fell off -- probably a new season of something I really wanted to watch came out or something -- I don't know.

Oh gosh, I've had this window open forever. Better send this off. Waves all around and good luck to our "messies" with STS this week!

kittybug 01-10-21 07:21 PM

Happy Sunday, Watulans!!

I decided to do Imax 3 for my Slog again, and it's becoming more doable each time...though I will say, Garrie, yep, it sure does feel like there are NO recovery periods for some of those intervals. I tell myself the next little step routine is my recovery before the next blast, hah!

Kim, did you do a Hardcore Extreme workout? I'm rethinking that one again because the Imax 3/Low Max combo workout seems fun. But I'd do it all on 6 inches, thank you very much!!

Bee, yep, it seems lots of appliances are still hard to get these days! Really frustrating.

Horusosiris, I agree that many of the older Cathe Lives are more intense.

ChelePA, I personally have to have one full day per week totally off, not doing anything at all, but that's typically because on that one day I'm still very active with chores, etc. Still, it's kind of a mental thing for me, knowing I have one full day to totally 'rest' if that makes sense. And then I take extra days when my body needs them, which is defined by the thought of working out makes me feel filled with dread or want to cry! :p

Nathalie, thank you for cheering us 'Messies' on!! Like FN2, I'm feeling I really need the pep talk for Mess 3. Especially because I looked at the guide to see what fresh hell we're in for starting tomorrow. Yikes!!

FN2, I'm really grateful you're in it with me because yeah, I'm filled with a total sense of dread right now for Mess 3....but WE CAN DO THIS!!!

Gotta run and start on dinner...waves to everyone all the way around!! Stay fierce! :sun:

ChelePA 01-11-21 02:02 PM

Thanks for the reminders on how important rest days are for recovery. I will definitely keep it much lighter on those days.

So how many of you are on Facebook? I’m finding that I waste lots of time scrolling. It’s amazing what a slippery slope it is. My phone reminds me weekly. Haha. I’m thinking of taking it off my phone and maybe only checking in once per day on my computer.

Today was Perfect Pump Upper Body with bonus added at the beginning. I like the flow better versus at the end or mixed throughout Afterwards I did Perfect Flow Mobility. It was definitely needed today after a few rough nights of sleep.

Happy Monday!

Mickey12 01-11-21 02:26 PM

Bee I didn’t do a Hardcore Extreme workout yesterday. I ended up laying on the couch and watching old movies. :p Pretty far removed from a tough Cathe workout, huh? So today I’ll do Interval Circuit.

ChelePA my husband has a Facebook account and I go on it using his account. I pretty much check it only once a day or not at all. It definitely can be a huge time suck though. Lately I am spending less time on it because stuff ends up making me feel bad or sad or angry. It’s not worth it.

Regarding rest days, you guys are so darn fierce that you consider a walk as a rest day, yikes! I count a walk as my workout for the day. :o

manleym 01-11-21 04:03 PM

Hi Fierce Friends! :sun:

Kittybug, I did Travis’s Happy Hour yoga yesterday and LOVED IT!! It’s definitely a favorite! I hope that NEVER is deleted from Youtube! Bee, (and other yoga fans) you should try it! What’s the update on the fridge? We have an extra fridge in our garage and it makes a huge difference. It really comes in handy.

I’m so glad Horusosiris, Bee and Mickey are doing PowerSrike 5 on Wednesday. For those of you who don’t have it, just pick a kickbox workout so we’ll all be doing the same type of workout together. That would be fun. 😊

Cataddict, I thought we had watched all of Poldark but when I asked hubby we have not. Apparently we have only watched 4 or 5 episodes. :confused: So we started at the beginning last night - season 1 episode 1. That will give us the history or background and starting at the beginning instead of watching a few episodes in a row. We also like period dramas. Let me know if you run across any other good series.

ChelePA, I’m glad you got some good ideas for rest/recovery days. My rest/recovery days are often yoga, stretching/mobility, maybe resistance bands. Something to get me moving, but not too hard. You might try a fusion type workout. I know Linda S. and Jessica Smith have some “feel-good” fusion type workouts on Youtube.

I have a Facebook account, but am not active. The only reason I keep it is in case there some great deal on VF Roost. But I haven’t even been on VF Roost in forever. I find social media to be a time suck and agree that it is a slippery slope. That’s why the only social media I’m active on is this forum! :love: But I’m not a techy person anyway and get overloaded easily. I don't have Instagram, only Twitter for work, no TicToc, or whatever else is out there and available. Sometimes there’s just too much information (noise) out there and it’s nice to unplug. Hubby is active on Facebook so when Cathe was offering her Live workouts last spring I would use his account to do them.

Saturday I did Cathe Live # 45 Push Pull Total Body and Perfect 30 core & stretch. Live #45 was just what I was looking for – a good, quick (40 minutes), slower weight workout, using heavy weights. IIRC, Cathe does a muscle group at a time. It flew by and I would revisit for a solid heavy weight workout. The Perfect 30 core felt more like mobility than abs, but it felt good so I didn’t mind. And the extra stretch is always nice.

Gotta think about today’s workout. Hmmm….what’s everyone else doing???

Hugs and waves to all! :heart:

lavna 01-11-21 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChelePA (Post 2907060)
I think it’s awesome that you take rest days as you need them. I was just coming here to ask others what they do on those days. I have a difficult time not exercising daily. Today was going to be my rest day. Instead I pulled out Step Sync since it’s pretty low key fun cardio. Also for the January challenge it was strictly abs. Oh my! This instructor has the most amazing core strength. I had to modify 50% of the moves. It was one minute of an exercise with 15 seconds rest in between. I was quite happy when it was over. Ha ha

I only exercise 3-4 days per week (partly for logistics reasons). I'm in menopause and according to some fitness instructors, taking rest days is important in peri or post menopause even more since I'm a poor sleeper (have always been) and it's worse now. I do feel some guilt when I don't exercise on days when I usually do, but I try to remind myself that, in the long run, it's probably best to do so. These days, when I don't exercise on a day when I usually do, I try to go for a walk or to stretch to say that, at least, I did something. I don't feel physical negative effects when I don't exercise (I know some people do). It's mostly a guilt thing! :D

lavna 01-11-21 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChelePA (Post 2907224)
So how many of you are on Facebook? I’m finding that I waste lots of time scrolling. It’s amazing what a slippery slope it is. My phone reminds me weekly. Haha. I’m thinking of taking it off my phone and maybe only checking in once per day on my computer.

I'm on Facebook but I don't have many friends and I don't follow many pages. I tend to block publications that don't interest me some less new publications for me to see. I check it often but most of the time, nothing new has appeared since the last time I checked! :p I agree that it's a time suck!

Mickey12 01-11-21 05:56 PM

Hello Watulans!!!!!

Bee I did Interval Circuit from Hardcore Extreme today. I found it very challenging and thought about quitting around the 30 minute mark but I kept going and I'm glad I did. I really like the music in this series. Did someone say they liked the music better in the Intensity Series or did I dream that? Anyway, during the workout I kept thinking how much I really like the music in the hardcore series. Good, tough stuff! :D

Bee I keep meaning to ask you about your chickens. You must sell the eggs, yes? 60 chickens is a lot of eggs for one family, just sayin'. ;)

Hope everyone is having a great night!

kittybug 01-11-21 06:54 PM

Happy Monday, Watulans!!

Today was Mess 3, Week 1, Chest and back. I'm definitely stronger from this series already but there were times I was hitting chest failure with those heavy dumbbells above my head, yikes!!! :eek: FN2, how'd you do?

Watulans, guess what happened today? Yeah, I got a surprise in my mailbox...those Patrick DVDs that were supposed to be here way over a month ago actually showed up. I could not believe it!! Just so odd. They were also in one package even though it was two different sellers I bought them from, sooooo....???? :confused: Manleym, did your lost DVD ever show?

ChelePA, nope, no social media whatsoever for me apart from this forum and other forums I'm on for work type stuff. Years ago, friends and family urged me to get on but I was always SO wary and just didn't trust any of those platforms. Now I'm glad I stuck to my guns! I do, however, check out any public pages when it's something I'm interested in, like Cathe's page, etc. Speaking of which....FOLV, her page is back to being viewable for those of us not on FB, if you haven't checked it out yet!

Manleym, I know on Happy Hour, right???? LOVE it!! So glad you tried it! Oh, and OH....I stumbled on Poldark on Amazon Prime last night and started watching it because of you and am already hooked! I LOVE period pieces and have watched every period piece I could find on Starz when we got that. If you have access to that, check out Outlander, The Spanish Princess, The White Princess, The White Queen....OMG I'm going on and on. I love period pieces, can yah tell?? :p Thanks for the recommendation is what I'm trying to say. :D

I might have to pick some sort of kickboxing tomorrow in lieu of y'all and your Wednesday Powerstrike party, hee hee. :music:

Nathalie, I so get that guilt thing. I'm really good at guilting myself!!

Kim, WAY TO GO on Interval Circuit!! You are making me want to acquire that DVD....stop enabling! :heart: I too like the music in that series.

All right, gotta run...stay fierce, Watulans!! :sun:

bee 01-11-21 07:22 PM

Hello All!

I forgot to answer the question about rest days..... I think it's been answered for you, but if it bothers you to not move at all, do something easy like a walk or yin yoga on days you don't feel like you can be your fiercest. These days I don't schedule rest days -- I just take it when I feel like I need it -- and like yesterday, my body definitely tells me when it's had enough.

And facebook.... I do have an account but I never go there and look at the feed. Some people message me there and if I'm lucky enough that my email alerts me about it, I go directly to their message. I never had it on my phone. I do have instagram. Would not have gotten it but when it was fairly new my best friend moved to Seoul and that was the way she was going to update her peeps back in the states so I had to join. I do like it because it's a quick and maybe mostly political free, depending who you follow, way to keep up with things.

Kim, big high fives for Interval Circuit! Way to go!

Today was Mellow Monday so I did a Rudy yoga called Triplets -- each pose done three times. I wasn't sure how it was going to go -- figured it might feel very disjoint but I really liked it! He did things in a clever way so it felt like it flowed pretty well and boy the third time in a pose really did feel different (better) than the first. Interesting! I think I've done that Travis Happy Hour practice, but I'm going to try it again soon!!

kittybug, so funny about your dvds..... I had an order from Macy's that showed up like that -- months later! They had long since refunded me. I sort of wonder if it was stuck at a neighbor's house all that time, but who knows. The package looked like it had been through the wringer.

Waves all around!!

bee 01-11-21 07:25 PM

I forgot to answer about the chickens...... we do sell some eggs, but just to pay for the feed -- not to make money. We ask people to pay what they're able to and some people don't pay but a fair number of people are willing to pay. During the winter it's tough to keep up with demand but in this last week they've started laying pretty well again.

cataddict 01-11-21 07:37 PM

Happy Monday, Watulans!

Like FN1, I started with Mess 3 Week 1. FN1, I was finding it tough doing the chest flyes with dumbbells! I am stronger, and I went heavier than I have ever done, and it was tough! I found it as tough to raise the dumbbells from the floor to the top of the move as it was to do the actual fly! I used a barbell whenever I could, and I was glad I had the tower to put the bar on between sets. We can do this! We are the Messies!!

I have a Facebook account, check it daily but don't watch the videos people post. I don't have many "friends" and have snoozed a number of people for getting too political with their posts. I'm pretty paranoid and tend to avoid posting much or commenting on things that people share. It seems we are all kind of in alignment on this subject!!

FN1, didn't I tell you the Patrick DVDs might show up eventually???? Good news since they are scarce! And I'll forgive you for crediting (blaming?) manleym for your addiction to Poldark when I was the one who first mentioned the series in my post. We are about halfway through Season 5. Such a good series and acting! manleym, we have another period series in mind once we've finished watching Poldark, and I'll let you know what we think.

Kim, walking IS a workout for me. If I don't do at least that I feel so sluggish during the day. Movement seems to keep my motor running more smoothly. It's not power walking so not too strenuous. I do have to take my rest, though, particular during STS. I'm finding it pretty exhausting. I'm fortunate that on most nights I sleep well.

I may pick up a kickboxing workout to do with you all, or Powerstrike 1 or 2, but probably not on Wednesday! Not sure I will be able to double workouts on Mess days.

Time to focus on Ken Jennings' debut on Jeopardy!

Waves to all!

Mickey12 01-11-21 07:37 PM

kittybug so happy your Patrick DVDs came! But very, very strange about the packaging. Wow.

I think I have to do that Travis Happy Hour practice. I want to fit in more yoga. Did you guys encounter commercials in the middle of it?

Nathalie thanks for enabling on the Cathe Live downloads. ;) I have about 5 or 6 that I bought a while ago. It’s pretty overwhelming to try to figure out which ones to get with so many to choose from.

ChelePA 01-11-21 09:01 PM

For those who like period shows, Bridgerton on Netflix is really good. Just don’t watch it with the kiddos around. Some steamy scenes.

kittybug 01-12-21 10:47 AM

Oops, FN2, not sure how I got mixed up with you and Manleym talkin' about Poldark!! What's the other piece you're watching? And I so agree that hoisting those dumbbells up to prepare for the move is just as hard as the actual move!! :p I'm feeling it today! :o

Kim, I didn't encounter any commercials during the Travis practice.

ChelePA, thanks for yet another show recommendation. :)

manleym 01-12-21 01:33 PM

Hi Watulans! Happy Twosday or Two Fer Tuesday, if you're doing two workouts today. If you're doing a hard workout today, then happy Tough Tuesday. Or just happy Tuesday, whatever you do. :D

Kittybug Yay on the Patrick dvds finally arriving! I'm glad you got them! My lost dvds are still lost and I don't expect them to ever show up. LOL that you got Cataddict and I confused on Poldark. :D I'm glad you've started it. Isn't it great?!? And thanks for all the other period piece recommendations. I think we have Starz but really haven't explored it much. Sounds like there are some good things out there that we need to explore! Keep the recs coming all!

Kim, I didn't have any commercials pop up during Travis's yoga practice either. I've read other threads about ads popping up workouts, but I have never had that happen with any of the workouts I've done on Youtube. I wonder why ads pop up for some people and not others? And yay you for doing Interval Circuit! Way to go!! :music:

Kittybug and Cataddict, congrats on starting Mess 3!! Ya'll are The Messes!! And you have CONQUERED the MESS!! :music:

Cataddict, my husband is so good at Jeopardy. We don't watch it often because it's on when we're fixing dinner, but the times we have had it on I think he could be on the show. He is so good at that kind of stuff. And I agree that we all seem to have the same feelings about Facebook/social media in general. I also check out public pages, like Cathe, 2Lazy, etc but I don't post. Bee it sounds like Instagram is a great way to stay connected to friends/family living far away. Like that it's quick and mostly political free.

Speaking of pages, did ya'll know she now has an Amazon store? I was just catching up on her newsletters and saw this link: Shop our Cathe Amazon Store: https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/5...2-4626A8D7347F. I had no idea! I'm guessing you can't buy anything used but at least you can use Amazon gift cards, so that's a good thing!

Horusosiris did you watch the NCAA Championship game last night? We watched the first half. The first quarter was GREAT! The 2nd quarter Bama started taking over and when hubby checked the final score this morning, sounds like Bama did their thing in the 2nd half. Raise your hand if your surprised!

So for Metabolic Monday I did Cathe Live: Metabolic Circuit #321. It was a GREAT metabolic workout! In fact, I think I have some slight DOMS today. I'm hoping to do Tough Tuesday (HIIT, high impact cardio) but always have the backup plan of Two Fer/Twosday, following Bee's lead and doing 2 workouts.

Kittybug and anyone else, join us for kickboxing tomorrow! Sounds like Cataddict may do it another day, so that will be good too!

Waves and hugs all!! :heart:

ChelePA 01-12-21 01:33 PM

Kim. I just saw your question about my rebounder. Love the variety that it offers! Plus it gives my joints a break throughout the week :-) Today I did Perfect Hiit Low Impact on it. Nice way to mix things up and not too many modifications on moves. I also kept it more intense throughout doing trampoline jumps during rest periods. In addition, I had to catch up on my January challenge so I did two days of planks, burpees and core exercises.

It’s amazing how many of you stay away from social media. Good for you! It’s definitely addicting. Did anybody ever watch the Netflix documentary on it. Really eye-opening! I think there’s pros and cons of Facebook. I just need to check once daily instead of the mindless scrolling. It definitely fits with my word of the year mindfulness. Lots to work on for 2021 :-)

KateTT 01-12-21 01:46 PM

Hi all! Quick check in but so far a fun week.

Yesterday was MBF Day 10 Upper + Day 8 Lower Body Burn. I really like putting two together. Half hour just isn't enough for me. Basically the same format but some new exercises and you're supposed to increase your weight a little. Some of the upper body stuff got challenging as I was using a 25lb dumbell.
Yoga was a new practice on Power Yoga from Steve Jones called V3 - working your way into Warrior 3. Only half hour but really sweet.
I noticed PY has a bunch of new classes so I'll be going there for my Yoga fix this week and probably next there are that many new ones.

Today I did Cathe Strong & Sweaty Cardio Slam Mix 1. That includes all the cardio plus the core work.
Hey! This is good! I had only done Cardio Slam one time way back in 2016 and didn't have much to say about it in my log so this was a nice surprise. Floor cardio, then floor cardio around your mat and floor cardio on and around step top. Really basic but good moves. Some higher impact but not too bad. I noticed there is the same mix but with modifications. Might have to check that out.

So this week and month will be mixing MBF, Strong & Sweaty and a few other misc Cathe's that I'm avoiding. Heehee.

Yoga will be from Power Yoga as I said. Not sure what yet.
I hope you all are well. Be fierce but be good hearted. :heart:

bee 01-12-21 04:54 PM

Hello All! Yes, happy Tuesday -- whatever kind of Tuesday it is for you. ;)

cataddict, I got a bit of STSPTSD when you mentioned the mess 3 chest flies. That was the only time I've injured myself doing Cathe (knock wood!). Guess I went too heavy and not enough control and I think I went back too far. Luckily I had no lasting effects from that injury. Be careful with the heavies!

Chele, my husband and I loved Bridgerton! So good. I really liked the music from it and found it on apple music. Oh, and speaking of shows.... we are just about to finish Ted Lasso (apple TV) and really enjoyed that! I would never have subscribed to Apple TV but I got a year free when I had to get a new phone last year. It's going to run out soon and I'm afraid I may have to resubscribe when Ted season 2 comes out. Such great characters.

Oh, and very cool that you're doing workouts on your rebounder. When people mention that I always think I should try, but then I never think to when I'm working out.

Oh, so Ken Jennings is hosting Jeopardy now? I thought maybe that was just a rumor. I listen to his podcast, Omnibus, to help drift off to sleep. Not that it's boring, but they do tend to ramble quite a bit, but I need something that's interesting but not too engrossing and that helps me get to sleep. (ETA: just realized I have three buts in that sentence! :))

manleym, maybe you have an ad blocker for youtube?

Kate, it seems like there are so many yoga practices named V-something. Does the V stand for vinyasa, do you know?

Ok, for Two Tuesday..... I have been trying to meditate before my workouts lately, but today I sort of forgot. I did Gym Style Back Shoulders Biceps -- gosh I love GS! -- and then I remembered meditation, so I did that but ended up freezing after ten minutes, so didn't want to jump right into yoga. I did 300 kettlebell swings. That warmed me right up! And then I did Upper Body yin from Travis -- part of the Level Up series I'm pretty sure. I didn't think I could handle doing any vinyasas so I thought that would be a good choice. Turns out it was actually a fair bit of upper body moving of the arms -- circles, etc. Nothing intense at all, but after GS it was hard to keep my arms up as long as he had in mind! :eek:

Really looking forward to the Powerstrike 5 party tomorrow!!

ChelePA 01-12-21 05:23 PM

Any comparable Cathe workout for Powerstrike 5?

kittybug 01-12-21 05:35 PM

Hello Watulan Fiercies!!

Because I'm with FN2 and not wanting to do ANY doubles with this particular Mess, I joined you all for kickboxing a day early and did Cathe's Kick, Punch, and Crunch, which I'd been wanting to revisit for a while, so thank you! Totally fun. :p

Bee, BWAHAHAHAAH...STSPTSD!!!!! OMG, that's simply brilliant!! And good note on being careful with the heavies indeed. There were quite a few times I was feeling nervous with those weights yesterday!

KateTT, thanks for the Cardio Slam reminder! I need to revisit that one too.

Manleym, I too was excited to see the Cathe Amazon store. That means faster (and free) shipping for me being with Prime more than likely, so yay!

Stay fierce, Watulans!! :sun:

Mickey12 01-12-21 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChelePA (Post 2907419)
Any comparable Cathe workout for Powerstrike 5?

ChelePA I would just do any of her kickbox workouts. Do your favorite one. :sun:

I’m glad you’re enjoying the rebounder. I have one too but have only used it for dedicated mini trampoline workouts. I haven’t tried doing a regular workout on it.

Is Winston having individual puppy training sessions or are you going to group training? We've seen the group sessions and I just want to stand there and watch - all the cute different kinds of puppies! It must be so fun to be in the class - although I suppose you're concentrating on trying to get the puppy to behave the way he is supposed to. But they sure are fun to watch. :heart:

I’m such a dunce! I saw that Cathe had an Amazon store and thought to myself, why shop there, I can just get what I want directly from Cathe. The free shipping from Amazon didn’t occur to me. Oh brother. :o

I’m going to do that Travis Happy Hour practice tonight. I am pretty confident that I will love it. :love:

Ok, back to report that I was not disappointed in the Happy Hour practice. It was just right. But wow, Travis really sounds just like Bryan Kest when he's doing the flow portions. It's so funny.

I have to ask how many yoga mats you guys own (for the ones who practice yoga). I have 4 of them and I always want to buy more. I love the different colors and patterns. I don't have any place to keep any more so I really can't. Am I odd in that I have more than one?