Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Nice tasting meal replacement drink -- not diet talk! (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=231772)

alisoncooks 09-20-21 04:12 PM

Nice tasting meal replacement drink -- not diet talk!

When I had COVID, my sense of taste and smell disappeared for months. It was almost back to normal (a bit muted) when I got my vaccination.

Since then, my sense of taste has changed and I'm struggling to find things to eat. Most savory items taste rotten, and I can't stomach my beloved morning coffee! :eek: I've got my fingers crossed that it'll regulate, but in the mean time I need something quick and easy for lunch. (Sweet things are still tasty but I can't live off of sweets!!)

Is there such a drink? Readily available, say at Walmart? I might can make smoothies but I'd like a less involved option...

fanofladyvols 09-20-21 07:59 PM

Does it have to be a drink?

Have you considered protein bars...esp. since you can still appreciate sweet?

For away from home when I don't have time to bring my own food, I love the Go macro bars. They're very satisfying. I like all the flavors.

alisoncooks 09-20-21 08:09 PM

I'm open to bar ideas! Just looking for something palatable and easy!

I can eat several raw fruits and veg with no taste distortion, so that helps. Initially, I was thinking of something to replace my coffee/breakfast (that's why I was thinking drink).

DCW 09-20-21 08:35 PM

Long time ago, we made peanut butter honey milk balls. It consisted of peanut butter, honey, dried milk, and quick oats. It was our homemade snack. It's sweet so may taste okay for your new taste buds.

Demeris 09-20-21 09:46 PM

I guess a chocolate malt isn't what you're looking for.

sciencelady 09-21-21 07:49 AM

I do a blended drink for breakfast every morning. I use almond milk, a scoop of protein powder (I use dairy, chocolate or vanilla), a T of flax seed meal, a handful of either spinach or kale, and about a half cup of a frozen fruit (cherries, mixed fruit, banana, etc.) - all blended together till smooth. I think I've been drinking this breakfast for over ten years now!

alisoncooks 09-21-21 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demeris (Post 2941535)
I guess a chocolate malt isn't what you're looking for.

LOL, I'm getting desperate enough to find things that taste *right/normal* that I may even give it a try! But yeah, looking for healthyish options.

JackieB 09-21-21 08:52 AM

It's expensive, but I used to love Shakeology. Probably the best tasting meal replacement drink out there. It's pretty nutrient dense. I've also used Vega from Costco/Walmart and Paleo Protein from Amy Myers.

I don't do protein/meal replacement shakes anymore though.

fanofladyvols 09-21-21 09:04 AM

Alison another thing you might do is get checked to see if you zinc levels are low? Maybe focusing on foods that are higher in zinc (if going to the doctor isn't an option) to see if there's any improvement in your smell. Just a thought.

(I also make my own smoothies and have one nearly every day. I can make mine quickly but have also made them the night before.)

Malia 09-21-21 09:14 AM

My favorite is GNC Lean Shake Ready to Drink (ready to drink is better than the powders). My son loves them too unfortunately (so he tends to drink them as a snack). I've tried all sorts of protein shakes including Shakeology and didn't like the taste of any of them except this one. I love the vanilla and think it tastes just like a McDonalds milk shake (which I haven't had in many years)