Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Working out after Covid Vaccines (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=230602)

Erica H. 03-14-21 04:15 PM

Working out after Covid Vaccines

For those who have had the Covid vaccine, were you able to exercise the day after your first shot? What about the second? I might be getting my first shot later this week and am wondering what to expect the next day even though I know everyone reacts differently.

I haven't had Covid (that I know of) and I usually don't have reactions to vaccines other than a sore arm, so I'm expecting the first shot to go well. My poor DH has terrible reactions to vaccines and I don't know how he's going to handle these (he doesn't have an appt. yet). He must have an overreactive immune system.

Erica

txhsmom 03-14-21 04:27 PM

I exercised in the evening on the days I received each shot. As for the first one, it didn't slow me down at all, but the second shot eventually knocked me on the couch for a few days.

Carol

susan p 03-14-21 04:27 PM

First shot, yes. Second shot, no. (on edit: this is just my experience; yours may vary. Upon rereading I realized this sounds very definite and it really is an individual thing.)

After the first shot I just had a sore arm. After the second shot I had full-blown flu-like symptoms (fever 102, splitting headache, achey hips standing/sitting/lying, no position helped; no appetite, no energy) for 28 hours.

However, on the bright side, when the flu-like symptoms lifted, I felt like a MILLION BUCKS. So while it might trash your day 1 workout, you will likely feel, although not look, like Lou Ferrigno in The Incredible Hulk on day 2.

Paine 03-14-21 04:38 PM

Yes, I was able to workout after both Pfizer covid vaccines. I had no symptoms other than a sore arm from the injection for both vaccines (same thing happened with my DH and my sister and a dear friend of mine--no reaction except a sore arm for both covid vaccines). Some people who think they might have a reaction to the covid vaccine take a day off work just in case they don't feel well. Your DH might want to do that as a precaution.

Demeris 03-14-21 04:55 PM

No, I didn't simply because I still felt fatigued, which seemed to be the only reaction I had to the first shot. I get my second one in two weeks. I'm curious how I'll react to it. I got Pfizer.

desderata 03-14-21 05:01 PM

I knew my arm would be sore after the vaccine, so I worked biceps, triceps and shoulders the morning of. My arm was quite sore for several days, but the first syringe leaked mid-way through the first shot, so they gave me a second dose. I got two shots in the same arm and probably 1 1/2 to 1 2/3 doses. I didn't work out the day after, because I was very fatigued and felt as if I was running a fever. I felt fine the second day and did a lower body workout.

I get my second dose this week.

bzar 03-14-21 05:07 PM

compared to Shingrix, my 1st Pfizer shot has been a walk in the park. i had a headache after Pfizer #1, and ibuprofen or 2 regular tylenol were enough to get rid of the pain. i was able to work out and do my day-to-day activities in the normal fashion. i had to make sure i drank a lot of water.

i will be cautious for the Pfizer #2, however, since everything is case-specific.

LAC 03-14-21 05:17 PM

I got my first shot on a Tuesday afternoon and on Wednesday my arm was a little tender, but otherwise I was fine.

My second shot was also on a Tuesday afternoon and I woke up in the middle of the night with a a splitting headache and was so physically exhausted I literally did not have the strength to get out of bed and walk to the bathroom. I was also really cold, even with extra blankets piled on. Somewhere around 10:00 a.m. Wednesday I was able to get up and make myself a slice of toast and take a Tylenol, but I was still tired and went back to bed until the afternoon. By Wednesday night I was fine. I had Pfizer.

wlorrie 03-14-21 05:22 PM

Yes, I was able to after both shots. I even did an upper body push up workout. However, my only symptom was a sore shoulder.
Lorrie

Pam 03-14-21 05:48 PM

I wasn’t expecting to feel sick after the shot, as I haven’t had a reaction to other meditation, but I had the reactions that are more common after the 2nd shot. The extreme exhaustion was the last symptom to disappear. I never had any symptoms of the virus previous to the shot. It was about a week before I worked out.

I am trying to get all client work out before I have the 2nd one. Also meals prepared, etc before I get the 2nd one. But hopefully it will not effect me so much. Has anyone heard of someone having a reaction with the first one, but not the 2nd one?

Kitten 03-14-21 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam (Post 2916475)
I wasn’t expecting to feel sick after the shot, as I haven’t had a reaction to other meditation, but I had the reactions that are more common after the 2nd shot. The extreme exhaustion was the last symptom to disappear. I never had any symptoms of the virus previous to the shot. It was about a week before I worked out.

I am trying to get all client work out before I have the 2nd one. Also meals prepared, etc before I get the 2nd one. But hopefully it will not effect me so much. Has anyone heard of someone having a reaction with the first one, but not the 2nd one?

My dad actually. He called me after his first shot to let me know how it went. I called him after his second one, he said it was nothing compared to the first one.

Pam 03-14-21 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitten (Post 2916480)
My dad actually. He called me after his first shot to let me know how it went. I called him after his second one, he said it was nothing compared to the first one.

Thanks Kitten for info on how it went for your Dad. I am trying to stay positive how I am going to react to the 2nd shot.

txhsmom 03-14-21 07:36 PM

Quote:

The folks I know who have had reactions to the first shot but not the second have all had CoVid already.

Carol

cataddict 03-14-21 08:32 PM

I worked out the day I got the first shot. I didn't have any reaction to the shot at all, not even a particularly sore arm. I get the second shot on Thursday morning and I'm prepared for worse but hoping for better. I probably will work out Thursday afternoon since the side effects supposedly don't start until 12-24 hours afterwards.

bfit 03-14-21 08:36 PM

I've had the first shot (Pfizer) but not the second. For the first one I had a sore arm that lasted less than a day, and it was not terribly sore. I've heard from people that I know that after the second shot some people have no reaction, some people are a little tired, and some feel crummy for about 24 hours.

Joni O 03-14-21 08:47 PM

I worked out 365 days last year and am on track for 365 this year. Come hell, high water, aches and pains, fever or chills, I'm not missing a day after my second vaccine. :D

sweetramona 03-14-21 08:55 PM

Quote:

Has anyone heard of someone having a reaction with the first one, but not the 2nd one?

I wasn't as sick as you were, but has a really sore arm and moderate flu-like symptoms with the first shot. Nothing with the second one beyond mild arm soreness. I work in a hospital so know lots of vaccinated people and it seems to be very variable.

shoegoddess 03-14-21 09:09 PM

My husband and I both got the Moderna 1st shot in February. My arm was so sore I could barely move it for 3 days. A little fatigued too. Husband had a mildly sore arm. I'm worried about the 2nd shot. But I'm still getting it. I'm so sick and tired of the restrictions.

susan p 03-14-21 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txhsmom (Post 2916485)
The folks I know who have had reactions to the first shot but not the second have all had CoVid already.

Carol

Carol, anecdotally speaking, I agree. My husband had a reaction to shot #1 but not shot #2 and I had suspected at one point that maybe he had a VERY light, almost asymptomatic case of Covid, although there is no knowing for sure.

susan p 03-14-21 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joni O (Post 2916499)
I worked out 365 days last year and am on track for 365 this year. Come hell, high water, aches and pains, fever or chills, I'm not missing a day after my second vaccine. :D

You are a HARD-CORE WOMAN, Joni O!!:cool:

Cleda 03-14-21 11:21 PM

Worked and worked out

I got the moderna vaccine. I worked out the morning after and had to work as well. Only issue with both? Sore arm. That was it. Stayed well hydrated.

Dh (who had covid) was fine with both as well. I kept watching him since they said people who’ve had covid usually have reactions.

Now shingrix??? Let’s just say I’m glad I never have to get them again. :eek: But a small price to pay to avoid shingles.

Cleda

Erica H. 03-15-21 03:57 AM

[QUOTE=Cleda;2916516\

Now shingrix??? Let’s just say I’m glad I never have to get them again. :eek: But a small price to pay to avoid shingles.

\[/QUOTE]

I had no problems with Shingrix (other than my arm being crazy sore with both doses and maybe feeling a little off the second day after my first shot), but DH was very sick with both. He got even sicker after tetanus, which we were surprised about that (he had that last Thursday, so I don't know how long he should wait for covid now that he's eligible). I'm dreading the covid vaccine for him.

Thank you for sharing everyone! It's really interesting to read all the different responses to the vaccine.

Erica

Carol K 03-15-21 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erica H. (Post 2916455)
For those who have had the Covid vaccine, were you able to exercise the day after your first shot? What about the second? I might be getting my first shot later this week and am wondering what to expect the next day even though I know everyone reacts differently.

I haven't had Covid (that I know of) and I usually don't have reactions to vaccines other than a sore arm, so I'm expecting the first shot to go well. My poor DH has terrible reactions to vaccines and I don't know how he's going to handle these (he doesn't have an appt. yet). He must have an overreactive immune system.

Erica

I was able to work out the day OF both of my vaccines. With the first shot, I had a sore arm and also with the second shot, but less so.

Izzy 03-15-21 05:46 AM

I had #1 Phizer. I was sick for two days and had lingering headache for a week. I did walk both days after the shot but was very tired and I didn’t push myself. I got a sore throat, swollen mouth and pain in my left side, hips and legs on top of the headaches. The headache and fatigue lasted a week. #2 is scheduled for the 26. To my knowledge I did not have Covid. I didn’t have any reaction to the Shingles shot.

amoodygirl 03-15-21 05:47 AM

I got my first shot a week and a half ago. Sore arm but I read that if you have the shot in your dominant arm, you will work through the soreness quicker because you move that arm more. That seems to be the case. Although a bit tired, I managed to maintain my regular workout schedule without a problem.

Second shot is on 3/27 and I'm expecting the flu like symptoms. So I stocked up on Tylenol. My husband got his first earlier that same week and will get his second on 4/1.

I got the Pfizer and he got the Moderna. So it will be interesting to see if and who gets any side effects. I'm glad we are spaced out because we have 2 disabled cats and we both can't be sidelined in their care.

BigBadBetty 03-15-21 08:32 AM

I got my first (Moderna) shot last week. My arm was sore, but nothing that would prevent a workout. I don't get my second shot until Easter. I read that women and younger people are more likely to have a strong reaction to the second shot. My mom (late 70s) has no real side effects. My sister (early 50s) and friend (40) felt like crap the day after the first shot. I decided to take off work the day after the shot since I am right between my sister and my friend in age. And if I feel fine, I will just enjoy the day off. I am thankful to work at a place that gives me ample vacation and sick leave.

txhsmom 03-15-21 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joni O (Post 2916499)

I hope you are right. The day after I got my second shot I could barely get to the bathroom!

Carol

Erica H. 03-15-21 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txhsmom (Post 2916561)
I hope you are right. The day after I got my second shot I could barely get to the bathroom!

Carol

:eek:

That's what I was thinking too after seeing my poor DH after his other vaccines (not Covid yet). He was so sick! He doesn't exercise (not formal exercise anyway), but there was no way he could have if he wanted to!

Erica

Demeris 03-15-21 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erica H. (Post 2916565)

That's what I was thinking too after seeing my poor DH after his other vaccines (not Covid yet). He was so sick! He doesn't exercise (not formal exercise anyway), but there was no way he could have if he wanted to!

Erica

This is how I felt after the second Shingrix shot. I not only didn't want to workout, I couldn't have. For two days it felt as though I had the flu.

txhsmom 03-15-21 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erica H. (Post 2916565)

Erica

Honestly, I have never had fatigue like I had with my second Covid vaccine, and shots usually do not bother me. Someone at work observed that the vaccine gets all the skinny people (with major side effects) and leaves the heavier folks alone & apparently there is some research that backs that up - something to do with weight causing your immune system to be suppressed. At least that was our experience among school personnel. Not meaning to be unkind at all - so let me know if I need to delete that.

Carol

Erica H. 03-15-21 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txhsmom (Post 2916579)
Honestly, I have never had fatigue like I had with my second Covid vaccine, and shots usually do not bother me. Someone at work observed that the vaccine gets all the skinny people (with major side effects) and leaves the heavier folks alone & apparently there is some research that backs that up - something to do with weight causing your immune system to be suppressed. At least that was our experience among school personnel. Not meaning to be unkind at all - so let me know if I need to delete that.

Carol

I was wondering if body size had anything to do with it, but it doesn't seem to with other vaccines (that I know of).

Erica

txhsmom 03-15-21 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erica H. (Post 2916586)
I was wondering if body size had anything to do with it, but it doesn't seem to with other vaccines (that I know of).

Erica

I know that with age, your immune system also becomes less effective.

The research that I saw said that even in immune system compromised folks, they felt like there was enough of a response (even among those with few side effects) that they felt like they were protected against the virus. Thank heavens!

Carol

Vintage VFer 03-15-21 11:11 AM

1st Pfizer shot: Zero side effects. My arm was barely sore. I started wondering if they had given me the real deal.

2nd Pfizer shot: Mildly sore arm for less than a day. I had a low-grade fever and was very tired. That only lasted about a day.

Erica H. 03-15-21 11:27 AM

I just read this about working out after the vaccine, which I thought was kind of interesting:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/cor...249804418.html

Erica

adawn 03-15-21 12:19 PM

For anyone who hasn't gotten yet vaccinated and has a smart phone and feels like contributing their experience, the CDC is collecting data through something called V-safe. I think it's text-based on smart phones but not sure. When my mom got her first (Moderna) dose about a week ago at a county drive-through vaccination site, they were asking people to sign up for v-safe afterwards so that the CDC can collect more data about any reactions or side effects.

Basically, I think v-safe just texts my mom every day (or at least it did at first) to ask her if she had a sore arm, fatigue, fever, etc. I think it was pretty quick for her to click on what symptoms she was having (or that she had no symptoms). Not sure if it sent her a link through text or what. She's not real tech-savvy and has a short attention span when it comes to stuff like this so it must be fairly user friendly and quick.

She had a slightly sore arm the second day after her first dose but that was it. She hasn't received her second dose yet. She's 74.

So for those who have just received a dose, you can learn more about v-safe and register here (if you want) if you have your vaccine card info:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ety/vsafe.html

From the FAQ page:

Quote:

During the first week after you get your vaccine, v-safe will send you a text message each day to ask how you are doing. Then you will get check-in messages once a week for up to 5 weeks. The questions v-safe asks take less than 5 minutes to answer.

If you need a second dose of vaccine, v-safe will provide a new 6-week check-in process so you can share your second-dose vaccine experience as well. Finally, you’ll receive check-ins 3, 6, and 12 months after your final dose of vaccine.
Quote:

How does my participation in v-safe make a difference?

By participating in v-safe, you can tell CDC if you have any side effects after a COVID-19 vaccine. This information helps CDC monitor the safety of COVID-19 vaccines in near real time. If any serious health problems are reported, they can be quickly investigated by CDC’s medical experts and scientists. In addition, traditional vaccine safety systems, such as Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting Systemexternal icon (VAERS) and the Vaccine Safety Datalink (VSD), will also be used to monitor the safety of COVID-19 vaccines. These systems are part the nation’s comprehensive approach to vaccine safety.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...afety/faq.html

frogribbit 03-15-21 12:22 PM

Quote:

Carol

Well I guess that's one positive to the little extra pandemic fluff I have :D

Erica H. 03-15-21 12:31 PM

This might be bad, but I'm hoping that I experience fatigue from the vaccine that will actually help me sleep. I suffer from terrible insomnia and am desperate for sleep.

Erica

cataddict 03-15-21 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erica H. (Post 2916586)

Erica

I'd like to know if they've done any studies on it but I'm sure it's way too soon for results even if they had looked at it.

I'm thin and had no side effects from the first shot FWIW.

adawn, I registered for v-safe as well with the CDC. They didn't ask for a whole lot of personal info so I felt okay doing so.

Messe 03-15-21 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage VFer (Post 2916595)
1st Pfizer shot: Zero side effects. My arm was barely sore. I started wondering if they had given me the real deal.

2nd Pfizer shot: Mildly sore arm for less than a day. I had a low-grade fever and was very tired. That only lasted about a day.

LOL!

First Moderna shot: a somewhat sore arm and not much else. I worked out that afternoon.

Second Moderna shot: a very sore arm and a headache that stuck around for a couple of days. I worked out that afternoon, and it provided some temporary relief for both the soreness and the headache.

Paine 03-15-21 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erica H. (Post 2916525)
I had no problems with Shingrix (other than my arm being crazy sore with both doses and maybe feeling a little off the second day after my first shot), but DH was very sick with both. He got even sicker after tetanus, which we were surprised about that (he had that last Thursday, so I don't know how long he should wait for covid now that he's eligible). I'm dreading the covid vaccine for him.

Erica

Erica H: My DH had flu-like symptoms from BOTH Shingrix vaccines and he had no reaction to both Pfizer vaccines other than a sore arm.

Quote:

Carol

txhsmom: My DH and I are both slender and we had no reaction from both Pfizer vaccines (other than a sore arm).

I think you just never know how you'll react to the covid vaccines until you get them.