Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   OT - Facebook (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=231028)

Gams 05-15-21 05:07 PM

OT - Facebook

Okay - granted I’m kind of a cranky pants these days and I’m sure a lot of people wouldn’t find my Facebook posts fascinating, but what’s up with everyone posting close ups of their faces using whatever it is that softens their features and changes eye color, etc. and then, of course, everyone posts “You’re so beautiful!” blah, blah. And then they do it again the next day and the next and the next. Drives me nuts.

amoodygirl 05-15-21 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gams (Post 2925654)
Okay - granted I’m kind of a cranky pants these days and I’m sure a lot of people wouldn’t find my Facebook posts fascinating, but what’s up with everyone posting close ups of their faces using whatever it is that softens their features and changes eye color, etc. and then, of course, everyone posts “You’re so beautiful!” blah, blah. And then they do it again the next day and the next and the next. Drives me nuts.

I agree!!!! You're so not a cranky pants!

cataddict 05-15-21 08:45 PM

Ok, full disclosure, I admit I am definitely a cranky pants. :p

I'm at the point that I have no idea why I even look at Facebook since I've blocked so many people for various reasons and many of the ones I haven't blocked don't often post anything I'm interested in.

**Sigh**

---Card Carrying Member of the Sisterhood of the Stay at Home Cranky Pants.

Mickey12 05-15-21 09:15 PM

I didn’t realize the photos were augmented at first. One person posted a photo of her little girl and I couldn’t believe how beautiful she was. I mean, she’s really cute in person, but I was in awe of how great the Facebook photo looked. Then I kept seeing photos like this and I finally realized they’re fake. Well, they’re enhanced. But to me they’re fake. I have to keep reminding myself that not only does everyone only post happy/good things, what is posted is highlighted beyond realty.

bzar 05-15-21 09:45 PM

what app do they use to enhance their photos? I've seen snapchat (that one is a few years old).

i use DH's facebook account to get access to VF Roost and other marketplace pages, so I'm out of the loop on these new features.

monterey vidiot 05-15-21 10:06 PM

Huh. I've never seen anything like that. My FB friends don't do that.

Leonana 05-15-21 11:55 PM

I have only one or two FB friends that do that.

What makes me cranky is that FB posts my profile pic in my feed when I change it. Then FB friends like it or compliment me. Which is nice of them, but I don’t want the attention. I really don’t want to announce my new profile pic just because I’ve updated it.

cttx31 05-16-21 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonana (Post 2925688)
I have only one or two FB friends that do that.

What makes me cranky is that FB posts my profile pic in my feed when I change it. Then FB friends like it or compliment me. Which is nice of them, but I don’t want the attention. I really don’t want to announce my new profile pic just because I’ve updated it.

I'm the same way. So when I changed my profile photo, I took steps such that it wouldn't show in other's timelines. Similarly, when I left my job, I didn't want to make a public announcement, but I did want my job status to be accurate on FB. Just google "how to change your profile photo on facebook without notifiying everyone" or similar. Here's one article:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/chang...tifying-anyone

Leonana 05-16-21 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cttx31 (Post 2925696)
I'm the same way. So when I changed my profile photo, I took steps such that it wouldn't show in other's timelines. Similarly, when I left my job, I didn't want to make a public announcement, but I did want my job status to be accurate on FB. Just google "how to change your profile photo on facebook without notifiying everyone" or similar. Here's one article:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/chang...tifying-anyone

Thanks! I didn’t realize you could do that.

summer breeze 05-16-21 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzar (Post 2925681)
what app do they use to enhance their photos? I've seen snapchat (that one is a few years old).

I've never seen anyone use that app on FB either. Curious.

Sollamyn 05-16-21 11:15 AM

I've noticed that and I don't get it. I hate taking selfies, but I have one FB friend (my nephew's SO) who constantly posts enhanced/edited selfies. She's in her early 40s! Once a person reaches a certain age, they don't change that much. I mean, her hair and makeup and everything is pretty much the same in each picture. There's no need to keep posting, basically, the same picture over and over and over.

I guess I'm cranky, too!:o:p

Donna

sherry7899 05-16-21 11:26 AM

A relative of my husband's is in her early 40s with three kids and she constantly posts photos of herself, including ones in provocative clothing she wears for when her band performs. I just don't get it.

Gams 05-16-21 11:29 AM

I have one Facebook friend who has lost weight and she posts a lot of before and after pictures. The before pictures are normal full body shots and the after pictures are close ups of her face with all the changes to her skin and eyes. It’s so weird because it doesn’t really show her progress - it actually shows changes to her face that aren’t even real.

bzar 05-16-21 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summer breeze (Post 2925724)
I've never seen anyone use that app on FB either. Curious.

it's still used, but it's possible snapchat improved their tools. one of the telltale clues is SC has optional clipart butterflies and flowers - I've seen this extensively, and it's not the clip art that FB itself has. you do all of the photos on your phone with the SC app loaded on your phone. then when you're ready, you post it to FB.

there are extensive photoshopping apps on phones now, including all the ones that an expensive phone might have pre-loaded, but I'm not at all familiar with "the latest" apps. my phone is just a basic one, about 4 YO now.

summer breeze 05-17-21 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzar (Post 2925736)
it's still used, but it's possible snapchat improved their tools. one of the telltale clues is SC has optional clipart butterflies and flowers - I've seen this extensively, and it's not the clip art that FB itself has. you do all of the photos on your phone with the SC app loaded on your phone. then when you're ready, you post it to FB.

there are extensive photoshopping apps on phones now, including all the ones that an expensive phone might have pre-loaded, but I'm not at all familiar with "the latest" apps. my phone is just a basic one, about 4 YO now.

My phone probably has some of that but I have no clue. Not interested either. I'm way past the selfie age :D

Erica H. 05-17-21 09:44 AM

I just saw someone post on Facebook asking when pictures stopped being about memories and replaced with selfies. I thought of this thread right away - I never thought about it that way before.

Erica

Vintage VFer 05-19-21 12:28 PM

I'm thinking it is a generational thing. The only FaceBook friend I have who does that is in her early 40's. She doesn't use the filters anymore, but the selfie posts are fairly relentless. (I love her anyway! :heart: )

Selfies aren't as appealing when gets to "a certain age." That being said, I recently put on some make-up and posted a selfie on FaceBook for the first time in years. No one has seen me without a mask in so long...

Pat58 05-19-21 01:16 PM

I'm not big on selfies, I look ridiculous in 95% of them. I have a friend that posts a new selfie everyday, to show her outfit before work. It makes her happy!

The one that gives me the creeps is the app that morphs you into a dog face or clown or some other weirded out image.

athompson10 05-20-21 12:40 PM

I'm on a FB forum about curly hair products, and it always tickles me to see the photos of real curly hair (we compare products and show results) with the airbrushed, almost anime-looking filtered face attached to it.

sherry7899 05-20-21 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athompson10 (Post 2926181)
I'm on a FB forum about curly hair products, and it always tickles me to see the photos of real curly hair (we compare products and show results) with the airbrushed, almost anime-looking filtered face attached to it.

Which group is that, please? I have curly hair, so I am interested. Thank you.

I am getting my hair cut on Saturday for the first time in over a year and a half! I am going to a new Deva stylist. The one I had been going to left the salon during the pandemic. I am nervous to try someone new but she has really good reviews.

athompson10 05-20-21 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherry7899 (Post 2926187)
Which group is that, please? I have curly hair, so I am interested. Thank you.

I am getting my hair cut on Saturday for the first time in over a year and a half! I am going to a new Deva stylist. The one I had been going to left the salon during the pandemic. I am nervous to try someone new but she has really good reviews.

I'll message you!

hypnomoon 05-21-21 01:23 AM

On a side note:

I bought a t-shirt that says: I didn't think I'd grow up to be old and grouchy but here I am KILLING IT!!

Sums up me. :D

Vintage VFer 05-22-21 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypnomoon (Post 2926239)
On a side note:

I bought a t-shirt that says: I didn't think I'd grow up to be old and grouchy but here I am KILLING IT!!

Sums up me. :D

Grouches-R-Us!!!!! :p