Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Concept 2 rower questions... (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=230922)

alisoncooks 04-27-21 03:31 PM

Concept 2 rower questions...

What made you decide to get a rower? Did you have experience rowing (gym, college) before making the purchase?

We sold our elliptical at the beginning of the pandemic because it was taking up too much space (and nearly broke even because they were back ordered and in high demand). But...we generally don't break even. (I've had other fitness equipment over the course of my fitness journey.)

I've been looking at rowing stuff for a few months now. I'm wondering if I should join the Y for a few months to test the waters before committing to a purchase. (Would that be a waste of money or save me money, lol?) Plus, idk if they are even open now. Hmm. Or if I could drag myself there to give it a fair shake.

It is a big piece of equipment (don't know about storing it) and a big investment...

FirmDancer 04-27-21 08:02 PM

Definitely try it at the gym before purchasing !!! I had one for years; tried over & over again to use it, 'cus I actually liked the rhythmic nature of it. But it either bothered my hip, my hip flexor, or my IT band. I even had a coach look at my form. I tried adjusting the foot holders, the straps, everything. I could never row longer for 5 minutes without limping later on.

schoolgirl-01 04-27-21 09:49 PM

i tried the new rower by teeter and it's really nice. a friend of mine has it and i went over and did a 40 mins workout and was really impressed because you can row in either push or pull.

https://teeter.com/power10/

alisoncooks 04-28-21 07:55 AM

I've always been interested in the Teeter fitness equipment but they look so bulky. Wider than most. I don't have that space for it. (And sometimes the reviews say that they don't last -- break quickly.)

I'll have to try the gym first. I'd hate to invest $$ and find it hurts my hips! :eek: I just saw online that the Y has a free 7-day trial, so that might work!

warriorprincess 04-28-21 08:41 AM

I've been intrigued by rowing machines ever since hearing Beth Lewis talk about how effective they are on Peter Attia's podcast. But yeah, big and bulky and I already have so many devices. Even my 'dining room' is filled with them!

Pratima 04-29-21 05:06 PM

I'm probably the last person you should listen to (you'll see why) but I LOVE my rower!

Last year I was mostly using my road bike on a fluid trainer for workouts. It was literally over 110 here for months on end so I had limited options! Eventually bought a spin bike because I got tired of taking the bike on and off the trainer.

Started looking at rowers because I felt like my legs were getting so much work all the time but not my upper body. I'd literally NEVER used one before and then bought a Proform 750R. There's a store in my area that sells manufacturer returns and liquidations, and I got this one assembled and delivered for around $400.

It can be used on its own or has a tablet holder and syncs with the iFit app. iFit programs adjust resistance automatically. They have outdoor and studio workouts.

Initially I tried a few YouTube workouts to get the form right. My Endurance Check-in ladies also gave me lots of tips!

Concept 2 is the gold standard. It has a chain which is supposed to last forever but can also be noisy. Mine uses a flywheel and belt, similar to my spin bike, so is relatively quiet. It uses magnetic resistance, also like my spin bike, whereas Concept 2 uses air resistance.

While I LOVE my rower, I would say try one out if you can. I'm glad i didn't get the super cheap ones I initially looked at and also don't feel the need to spring for a fancier one.

It absolutely is a good full-body, no-impact workout. Form is super important--if it's off even a bit your hands, legs, back, everything will feel it.

I did a 4 week iFit series that was rowing workouts that had off-machine bodyweight exercises. It was an amazing workout without being exhausting, and I really started to see some upper body definition.

Oh, and my rower does fold up and store sort of vertical so it could sit in a corner of the room. It's kind of heavy though and we don't really use that space for anything else so I keep it open. Nice to have the option though.

No idea if that helps! :D I'm glad to answer questions though.

alisoncooks 05-18-21 11:17 AM

Minor, anticlimactic update:

Finally made it to the local YMCA today, with the hopes of trying out a rower in person. Well...they didn't even have one, lol. So I spent some time on the Arc trainer (they had new ones with virtual hikes on a screen!) so it was fine -- but it doesn't help me in my decision-making, lol.

(Also, I am not a fan of spending that time in transit and such. Seemed like such a waste, when I'm so used to working out immediately at home!)

Pratima 05-18-21 11:46 AM

Well, that's a bummer! Is there another gym nearby? You should be able to do a free trial at any of them, even if only for a day.

I'm actually thinking of maybe joining a new location of a gym near me. I canceled my membership last year. Now they're building one right by my neighborhood and I think it will open in the fall. I love the iFit hikes and am considering joining so I can do those on a treadmill!

Judith L 05-19-21 07:53 AM

I had a Concept 2 for many years until I had to sell it when I moved to an upper floor in an apt building. I loved it but:

Definitely try it out in a gym if you can -- but listen to your own music when you do, which is a must.

The C2 was especially nice since it is a low-lying machine and on entering the room you don't immediately see it.

I had mine for almost two years before I actually used it regularly because, like much other cardio, it can be mindlessly boring unless you have some type of media to use with it. At first I just listened to my own music but then I moved the C2 in front of a tv which worked very nicely and I began to row regularly. It was only then that I looked into all the challenges (of all types) that the C2 website runs and that hooked me. I began rowing several times a day for years.

I definitely recommend the Concept 2, especially for all the benefits the company offers. The C2 can connect to your computer and keep track of a lot of information which can be seen on the C2 website.

For a while we had a Team VF in a "Boathouse" thread.

alisoncooks 05-19-21 09:37 AM

My main reservation is that I wouldn't be able to leave it set up. I have a corner in which to store it but only if it is broke down into the two parts. To use it in front of the telly would require moving it from one side of the room to another (10 feet or so) and turning it to the opposite direction.