Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   2021 Holiday Gift Exchange (& Possible Zoom Get Together?) (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=231860)

ots 10-10-21 10:23 PM

2021 Holiday Gift Exchange (& Possible Zoom Get Together?)

Hi Everyone,

Part 1: It's time for our annual gift exchange!

If you haven't participated before, it's a lot of fun. Read some of the past year's threads. And, if you are interested in a vidiot style holiday gift exchange, follow the directions below:

1. To participate:

Please e-mail me by 11-3-2021. My e-mail address is mandagermain@comcast.net. Please put "VF Gift Exchange" in the subject line so I don't accidentally delete it as junk mail.

Your e-mail should contain:

Your VF Username (for example, mine is "ots")
Your Real Name
Your Mailing Address

I will e-mail you a confirmation that I received your e-mail. If you do not receive a confirmation from me, that means I didn't receive it. In that case, please PM me at VF.

Each year, some people volunteer to be willing to be matched with our international VFers. If you're willing, let me know.

2. I will put all participants' names in a bucket.

3. On 11-4-21, I will e-mail each participant the name and address of another member (which I will get by drawing a name randomly from the bucket). In the past, we have had people that got the same person as a previous year - it's bound to happen. If that happens to you and you want to switch out - let me know right away! However, bear in mind that we also have a smaller group participating as more people switch to streaming --- so you might still be paired with someone you've had before!

4. To participate, each person will send a fitness related gift (in the past, it included a DVD, but other options are worth considering) that you think the person will really like. A wishlist thread is started after the names are sent out --- please participate in that thread. Your secret santa will be looking for your post! You may also include a small token gift (something inexpensive) that the person might like. Please remember to include some less expensive options on your wish list --- we come from all walks of life and I would hate for someone to feel like they can't participate because of costs. This is true every year -- but especially this year -- lots of disruptions to our financial lives.

5. Another fun part is searching the VF boards to learn more about your person to come up with the perfect items - read some of their posts. This is easy to do...just do a search under their username and all the threads they have participated in will come up. But, even if you don't post often, don't worry - I haven't posted in a while myself. It's all about having fun.

6. Gifts must be mailed out (postmarked) by December 7th. Please make sure that you can postmark your gift by December 7th --- some people have had to wait until after Christmas for their gifts and that isn't fair to them. Obviously, things happen -- but, let's stick with the holiday spirit!

7. This goes without saying, but PLEASE only sign up if you will follow-through. I'd hate to see anyone disappointed by not receiving a gift! This did happen in the past - so please be considerate.

Hope you will all participate...you can post comments here, but please remember to also e-mail me your user name, real name and address.

Part 2: Zoom Get Together?!

Last year, we talked about possibly having a zoom get together. It never came to fruition --- but I thought I would try again. This time, I thought I'd actually provide a few more specific suggestions (such as a date & time --- although if it's not good, I am flexible). I have a professional zoom account that allows me to have longer calls with large groups. I was going to suggest doing it on Sunday, December 12 from 1 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. EST. I am open to suggestion on what to do? I am happy to teach a quickie 30 minute body pump or a 20 minute yoga class. Would love to hear other ideas. A cooking demo? Share cat pix? If there is interest, let me know.

Last, as always, I welcome comments on what we can do to improve the gift exchange. When we first started, it was VHS and some DVD. Then it became all DVD. Now some people are exclusively streaming. How should we adapt so that we can continue to have a great exchange? All suggestions welcome! It'll be good to see how everyone's doing....

THANKS!
Anne.

Laura S. 10-11-21 03:31 PM

I can't believe it's time for this again! This is one of my favorite times of the year on VF. I'm in and will get an email out to you soon.

I'd love to do a Zoom call. It is always fun to meet VFers and virtual is the way to go these days, especially since you have an account that will allow for it.

tytbody 10-12-21 07:56 AM

I love the intention of a Zoom conference.. How many years we've been on here and never met "in person".

it makes talking more effective, at least for me, when I can see who i'm supposed to be chatting with.

Just looking at avatars is not as warm as real people.

As far as the Streamers go since there is already a cap on the amount of exchange possibly gift a person a gift card to their streaming provider.. it does not have to cover the full cost but I think they always let you purchase Gift cards for someone.

it used to feel like people were of course seeing who can get the most or highest praise for what was in a persons exchange. Some people didn't want to say much because they didn't get to proclaim I got candy and a snow man and a door mat ya, and don't forget the dvd.

Maybe people could make categories from low medium and high so people can choose how to give a gift. Lot of people getting on in age and my not have a giraffe pockets. I'm speaking for myself now. :)

Are Amazon Gift cards possible to be in the giving.. ? That way you can just send the gift in an email and never leave the house.

People may want a Kindle book or a book by their favorite exercise instructor.

just thinking out loud now..:)

Laura S. 10-12-21 07:11 PM

Yeah, there are a lot of possibilities and people can get creative. There are lot of things that people can do with all of the options these days.

Who else is in this year?

yogapam 10-12-21 07:34 PM

Hi Laura, you were my first Secret Santa! :D

I’m very much into downloads & streaming. There are many ways to get creative, lots of streaming sites offer GCs & the bonus is you save on postage. Jessica Smith & Barlates both have options to send downloads as gifts. I’m sure other websites probably do too.

I’ve never felt pressure to spend more than I can afford, it’s not a competition. And I always find the thank you thread fun to read.

sherry7899 10-12-21 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogapam (Post 2943566)

I’m very much into downloads & streaming. There are many ways to get creative, lots of streaming sites offer GCs & the bonus is you save on postage. Jessica Smith & Barlates both have options to send downloads as gifts. I’m sure other websites probably do too.

I’ve never felt pressure to spend more than I can afford, it’s not a competition. And I always find the thank you thread fun to read.

Thank you, Pam. I could not find the right words.

I am not sure yet about participating or being an elf this year. The holidays are going to be extremely difficult for me this year.

yogapam 10-12-21 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherry7899 (Post 2943568)

I am not sure yet about participating or being an elf this year. The holidays are going to be extremely difficult for me this year.

Dear Sherry, sending you love & (((hugs))).

tytbody 10-13-21 07:49 AM

Quote:

If people go back to the real reason for the Season, it won't be as stressful as people make it. Man made this ridiculous gift giving out of proportion. People are still people pleasing and forgetting the Manger.

What is the Cap on the exchange any way?

I'll go back and read the OP. I may have missed it.

Pat58 10-13-21 08:08 AM

Quote:

I can't even imagine. :( Sending hugs, Sherry.

sherry7899 10-13-21 08:09 AM

Cheryl, there is no cap. Every year you complain. I am unsure about participating because I lost my husband suddenly two days after Christmas last year and my mother three weeks later. I do not understand why you start something about the exchange. You have been doing this for years. If you are not happy about it, do not do it.

fanofladyvols 10-13-21 08:16 AM

Quote:

I totally agree with Pam. From all the communication I have had over the years the folks who chose to participate enjoyed the process of getting to know the other person on another level and enjoyed the whole time spent putting a package together. Whenever someone doesn't have the time, funds too limited, or whatever the reason, then it's probably best if they choose to not participate. I haven't even done it every year(not felt pressured to) but love reading about those who do!

It has never read like a competition or felt like a competition...but I am sure that has everything to do with the perspective and approach of the participants. I still enjoy such a great connection with my VF gift exchangers.

It COULD be a competition..but it hasn't been. (I have been in enough office environments where that WAS true... groan!)

Sherry I know the stress has nothing to do with any purported misaligned focus on the season but everything to do with your recent heartbreaking loss. You are an amazing person and are very giving in the role of VF elf but I totally understand if it would be too taxing for you to continue this year in that role. Great big hugs to you as you decide!!!

fanofladyvols 10-13-21 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura S. (Post 2943458)
I can't believe it's time for this again! This is one of my favorite times of the year on VF. I'm in and will get an email out to you soon.

I'd love to do a Zoom call. It is always fun to meet VFers and virtual is the way to go these days, especially since you have an account that will allow for it.

Yes! I'm in! Sending my email later today :sun:

sherry7899 10-13-21 08:40 AM

Thank you for the support. I really appreciate it. I lost three friends this year after losing my husband and mother. It has not been a good year. Let's get back to a happier discussion!

Demeris 10-13-21 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherry7899 (Post 2943601)
Thank you for the support. I really appreciate it. I lost three friends this year after losing my husband and mother. It has not been a good year. Let's get back to a happier discussion!

Oh, Sherry, please know you and your son are in my prayers. You have been such a huge part of VF that we are all grieving with you.

tytbody 10-13-21 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherry7899 (Post 2943594)
Cheryl, there is no cap. Every year you complain. I am unsure about participating because I lost my husband suddenly two days after Christmas last year and my mother three weeks later. I do not understand why you start something about the exchange. You have been doing this for years. If you are not happy about it, do not do it.

I'm not complaining.

you are still grieving of your loved ones and I did not know this is what you were referring to.. So, if you explained your why, I would have understood more.

The more a person knows the more they understand.

I'm a Christian and my beliefs about Christmas and give giving and getting into debt or trying to please people, is my stance against the whole extravaganza.

Plus, I already don't have these family members so I do know how it feels.
Maybe understand my why about the whole i got this and I got that and etc.

I'm always going to bring it back around to the real, purpose for the Season and that is Jesus' birth.

let me know if I need to explain more.

sherry7899 10-13-21 08:50 AM

Cheryl,I am not going to waste my time or breath. I do not owe any explanation to you. This is not a gift exchange in a religious group. That would serve your needs and ideals better. We are not even supposed to discuss religion here.

No one ever suggested going into debt to exchange gifts here. This is supposed to be a happy thing. You are turning it into something else. It is all in your head. I am done talking to you.

tytbody 10-13-21 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherry7899 (Post 2943605)
Cheryl,I am not going to waste my time or breath. I do not owe any explanation to you. This is not a gift exchange in a religious group. That would serve your needs and ideals better. We are not even supposed to discuss religion here.

No one ever suggested going into debt to exchange gifts here. This is supposed to be a happy thing. You are turning it into something else. It is all in your head. I am done talking to you.

In order to give the correct replies people have to be on the same page.
I didn't ask for an explanation. I'm not one to read about what's going on to know about your losses.. So, understand where I'm coming from.. Had I known, I would have replied respectfully to your plight.

Vantreesta 10-13-21 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tytbody (Post 2943606)
In order to give the correct replies people have to be on the same page.
I didn't ask for an explanation. I'm not one to read about what's going on to know about your losses.. So, understand where I'm coming from.. Had I known, I would have replied respectfully to your plight.

Regardless of Sherry's specific situation (for which you did, indeed, ask her to explain), your recent comments have added nothing to the topic at hand. There is no need to force your opinions or pass judgment on anyone for choosing to exchange gifts or their reasons for doing so or not doing so. You do not need to know everyone's situation in order to be respectful. Stop posting comments that are intended only to stir the pot and aggravate others.

Please let this thread get back to its original intent so it doesn't get shut down.

fanofladyvols 10-13-21 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tytbody (Post 2943603)
So, if you explained your why, I would have understood more.

The more a person knows the more they understand.

Sure sounds like an expectation or asking for an explanation...when really she's given more than enough information by just saying she didn't know if she could ...

I certainly don't think anyone should have to fully explain in order to receive a respectful response from others.

I also don't think any of us need a full understanding for Sherry to decide not to serve in the role of elf this year.

Anywhoo let's get back to a more enjoyable discussion as Sherry suggested and post who is in this year as Anne's original post indicates the rules of the exchange are !

This exchange has worked BEAUTIFULLY for years because of the cheerful givers on this forum! :music:

tytbody 10-13-21 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vantreesta (Post 2943609)
Regardless of Sherry's specific situation (for which you did, indeed, ask her to explain), your recent comments have added nothing to the topic at hand. There is no need to force your opinions or pass judgment on anyone for choosing to exchange gifts or their reasons for doing so or not doing so. You do not need to know everyone's situation in order to be respectful. Stop posting comments that are intended only to stir the pot and aggravate others.

Please let this thread get back to its original intent so it doesn't get shut down.

never said anything disrespectful. :) Not stirring any pot. whatever that is. Not intending to aggravate others. Or you.:) Not forcing anything. Just explaining.

Giving suggestions.. I guess I'm hitting some nerves in you. Best way for this to stop is not to reply and get on with suggestions to make the exchange pleasant for all

Pat58 10-13-21 09:42 AM

I suggest we get back to the topic at hand before this thread, which Ots started out of the kindness of her heart, for all good intentions of making us happy and sharing our mutual joy of fitness and workout videos, gets shut down.

That would be an awful thing.

Thanks everyone. Hugs. We're all going through a lot in our own ways. It can be a very depressing time of year for many, please let's let it go and get back to Zooming and sharing good intentions.

I for one would like to join in on the Zoom!

fanofladyvols 10-13-21 09:45 AM

Yay Pat!!

yogapam 10-13-21 10:31 AM

Simple solution….if you don’t like it, don’t participate.

I love the idea of a zoom call. Did one last year with some check in buddies & it was fun.

yogapam 10-13-21 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat58 (Post 2943613)
I suggest we get back to the topic at hand before this thread, which Ots started out of the kindness of her heart, for all good intentions of making us happy and sharing our mutual joy of fitness and workout videos, gets shut down.

That would be an awful thing.

Thanks everyone. Hugs. We're all going through a lot in our own ways. It can be a very depressing time of year for many, please let's let it go and get back to Zooming and sharing good intentions.

I for one would like to join in on the Zoom!

Yes! :heart:

adawn 10-13-21 08:08 PM

I'm not into zoom and can never seem to commit to the deadlines of the gift exchange but I do enjoy reading everyone's wish lists, etc. and learning more about everyone. Sometimes it even turns out I have something on someone's wish list that I'm ready to let go of or something similarly serendipitous happens.

Sherry you have always been the best elf and have helped me in the past connect with people participating in the exchange behind the scenes, but I totally understand if you are unable to play elf this year (or any year). No explanation necessary. :heart:

Laura S. 10-14-21 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogapam (Post 2943566)

I remember being your Secret Santa very well. I had a lot of fun that year. I had forgotten I was your first. :p

I've enjoyed being people's Secret Santa every year. Stalking people to find out more about them has been a highlight of my holiday season. :D

So, getting back to the purpose of the thread -

Who's in this year?

fanofladyvols 10-14-21 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura S. (Post 2943710)
I remember being your Secret Santa very well. I had a lot of fun that year. I had forgotten I was your first. :p

I've enjoyed being people's Secret Santa every year. Stalking people to find out more about them has been a highlight of my holiday season. :D

So, getting back to the purpose of the thread -

Who's in this year?

I sent my email in! :D

Pat58 10-14-21 08:51 AM

I would join in on the exchange except I do not need one single thing!

However, I'm actively purging so if I see anything on the wishlists that I have, I will offer it up. :)

Garrie A. 10-14-21 09:55 AM

I've participated in the gift exchange every year since I started posting in 2016, but ever since one of my Secret Santas (Lora aka Lorajc) passed away two years ago, I decided to do it every year simply in memory of her.

And yes! I would love a Zoom get together.

Nelly G 10-14-21 01:28 PM

I already mailed Anne about to participate again. I always enjoy shopping as secret Santa and reading about how everyone enjoy there presents. It also make me connect to people on VF which I love and also getting to know everyone better.

I also like to join the Zoom session so I can see everyone which is great because I live in Europe.

fanofladyvols 10-14-21 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nelly G (Post 2943760)
I already mailed Anne about to participate again. I always enjoy shopping as secret Santa and reading about how everyone enjoy there presents. It also make me connect to people on VF which I love and also getting to know everyone better.

I also like to join the Zoom session so I can see everyone which is great because I live in Europe.

Ohh I hope your husband says hi too !!

bee 10-14-21 07:39 PM

I would be interested in the zoom!

JENILU 10-15-21 02:27 AM

Sweet Sherry, i have no idea if this would be the case, but, if you wanted to and felt like it, it might help keep your mind busy- but I don't know that. I just know its always been something (usually atleast) enjoyable for you. You are always on my heart tho and I know everyone understands if you take a break.

I can't remember who, sorry, but someone said they didn't want anything- you could maybe pick a certain charity that may be close to you or dear to you, and ask them to donate to that in your name?? (just an idea)

I am a tight budget and I have felt the stress reading the thankyou list sometimes, so i know what people are saying about that. And sometimes the wishlists only have expensive (in my book) things, and that kinks it a bit as well. People are always wonderful tho and I don't think anyone means to be that way- its me putting pressure on myself.

If i am able to join in this year, I may, somehow, if I can figure it out, make it more "natural?" and about love this year and maybe I won't get so worked up about comparing or affording. I am still healing from one thing after another and still not driving much, but I really would love to be able to join in the fun of this, this year.

unsure about zoom. The only way it can view me is from my phone- and the thought of working out wonky- with a messy house in front of others freaks me out a little, lol, :love: but I would love to see everyone, and meet everyone- my timing is always so off tho with Dr appts and working around them

This is just an opinion, others would probably love the idea- its even what most of my family wants, but just an amazon gift card seems like such an unhappy gift?? No judging, I love to shop there myself, but it takes out the whole surprise and getting to know you stuff?? I could be wrong. Even if people want streaming, i would hope whoever I got would give choices on that so they could be surprised. (I love surprises, so I guess i am just seeing it from that perspective, i am sorry. Not trying to be closed minded)- Again, if I do get to join in, i may add something like that in my list because I have been curious about a few.

OTS, thankyou so much for still doing this, even with so many changes. You are a beautiful soul!! (one of the many here that I miss when I have been away too long)

Blessings loved ones!

buffmama 10-15-21 06:53 AM

I would love to participate in the zoom. The time mentioned wouldn't work for me though.

Rhonda 10-15-21 07:04 AM

I already sent my name to Anne.

My internet is wonky so probably wouldn't be able to participate in the Zoom call.

I am one that loves GCs but I know some people don't.

fanofladyvols 10-15-21 08:27 AM

Anne
I have no idea of a good eastern time zone that works for our international VFers. Maybe we could do a poll of a few times convenient for you and see the best possible participation?

And THANK YOU for offering to do this.

jusca 10-15-21 10:12 AM

Whooaa... a vf virtual road trip on zoom :D how exciting! I'd be interested in it. I'm still debating on the exchange. I enjoyed it last time I didit. I'll wait a few more weeks to make a decision. I gotta get a few ducks in line before deciding.

Laura S. 10-15-21 08:18 PM

It's good to see people participating. For those who choose not to, it's totally fine. It's something to do, if you enjoy it.

For me, it's hard to believe that it's time for this. It doesn't seem like mid-October to me.

yogapam 10-21-21 12:30 PM

I’m also the fence as I don’t need anything and I’m into streaming & downloads. But it is a lot of fun. :)

sherry7899 10-21-21 12:34 PM

I cannot think of any DVDs I want!